Elizabeth Kwon | Golden Skate

Elizabeth Kwon

Arianne

On the Ice
Does anyone have any updates on Elizabeth Kwon? I remember seeing her exhibition number at the 1998 U.S. nationals after she won the novice title. I believe she competed in 1999 and then had a knee injury. Does anyone know if she is still skating or planning to compete at the national level again? She was a joy to watch!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Kwon placed 4th in Junior in 1999 and 14th in her senior debut at 2000 U.S. Nationals. Her last Nationals was 2001 in Boston, where she withdrew due to injury after placing 16th in the Senior Ladies SP (she was being coached by Carol Heiss Jenkins at that time). Kwon is 20 years old now and I hope she is leading a fulfilling life outside of skating.

Last edited:
A blast from the past. Here are the results of the 1999 U.S. junior nats.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_nationals/junlad99.htm

Elizabeth finished just behind Sasha Cohen and Jennifer Kirk (2nd and 3rd) -- Sasha was leading after the short program, but made some mistakes in the long and had to settle for silver -- and just ahead of Ye Bin Mok and Ann Patrice McDonough (5th and 6th).

Sara Wheat won, and 2006 U.S. Collegiate Champion Stephanie Roth came in 11th and last.

There must be a moral in there somewhere.

MM :)

PS. According to Elizabeth's journal entry at the event, she got straight A's that semester in every subject except math, in which she got a C+ (thus blowing that stereotype out of the water!)

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
There must be a moral in there somewhere.
The "moral" for me is that some of the most talented and promising young skaters may not be able to achieve great things at the senior national and/or international level (due to injury, puberty, burnout, lack of finances or other support, etc.), but this fact should not negate their wonderful skating accomplishments at the lower levels.

IMO, Stephanie Roth is a great example of persistence and dedication overcoming many obstacles to stay competitive in the sport, and I think it's great that she will finally get a chance to compete internationally -- see the thread about her winning Collegiate Nationals this past weekend:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13917

Sylvia said:
-- see the thread about [Stephanie Roth] winning Collegiate Nationals this past weekend:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13917
Yes, that's what caught my attention when I saw Stephanie's name on the roster way back in 1999. Is this the same event that Alissa Czisney won a couple of years ago, with her sister Amber second?

Sylvia said:
The "moral" for me is that some of the most talented and promising young skaters may not be able to achieve great things at the senior national and/or international level..., but this fact should not negate their wonderful skating accomplishments at the lower levels.
That is an excellent point, which you also brought out to great effect on the Rachael Flatt and Carolione Zhang thread. The problem for fans is that it is hard to get to "know" a skater until he/she gets on TV or hits the spolight nationally. (I wish I could put a link here to Unseen Skaters as the best source on the net for this sort of thing, LOL. ;) )

MM :)