View Poll Results: Will Weir ever win a World medal(any color)

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes he will win atleast 1 World medal

78 49.37%
  • yes he will win multiple World medals

34 21.52%
  • no he will never win a World medal

46 29.11%

Thread: Will Weir ever win a World medal?

Hybrid View

Banned

Will Weir ever win a World medal?

For all the inflated hype Johnny Weir has 0 World medals to date. Even his less hyped American rival Evan Lysacek already has 2, and has beaten him at the last 3 Olympic and World events. With younger skaters like Lambiel, Oda, and Lysacek passing him by, and others like Joubert, Takahashi, and Buttle still going strong do you think Weir will ever win a World medal of any color, no specific color either.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    There's only a year between Weir and the L men. That's negligible.

I voted at least one. I wish I had confidence to vote for multiple. But what I lack in confidence, I make up for in hope. I think he's one of the greats... almost. I hope he is as serious this year as he has said he'll be.

Custom Title
    I would like to put it this way: I do hope very much that Weir will win at least one World medal. One has to be realistic though and look at his competitors. Today there are several other skaters I find more likely ones to be able to win a medal in a big international competition like Worlds:

(- Plushenko, if he is coming back after 2006-2007 season)
    - Lambiel
    - Joubert
    - Lysacek
    - Buttle

Besides, from Japan are coming two extremely talented skaters

- Takahashi
    - Oda

and I really expect at least one of them to stand on Worlds podium soon.

About Weir I have gotten the impression that for some time he has been more concentrated in becoming a household name through other forums than a skating rink. Besides, Weir talks a lot, I would prefer to see less talk and better skating results instead. Very much hoping to be wrong though, to see a less distracted Weir next season, because of course he still is one of my big favourites among male singles skaters.
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-10-2006 at 03:53 AM.

Johnny can win a Worlds and more. He is a very beautiful and unique skater. He's got to realize that this is a Sport and not just a glamour trip to associate with Christina Aguilera and Kathy Griffin.

I see him as a figure skater which is what he does best, and see the tough competition he is facing - not only internationally but also in the USA.

In the US, he not only has Lysecek, there is also the up and coming Carriere as well as Smith. Internationallly he has at least 2 top skaters each from Japan, Europe and Canada.

Will he win a Worlds? He can! Will he? Not sure at all.

Joe

Tripping on the Podium
    Johnny is probably the most talented skater and is one of the most beautiful skaters, imo. I definately think he can win multiple World medals. He is certainly capable of being a World Champion.

My prediction: they will give Johnny the 2009 world championship.

It's in the U.S. (Los Angeles), and it's the pre-Olympic worlds, where the ISU will be looking to start the hype machine pointing toward Vancouver.

This will make it seem like the U.S. guy has a chance at the gold medal at the Olympics, against Lambiel and Joubert. (But no CCCP jackets and high heel shoes, Johnny, or you'll blow the whole deal and they'll go with Lysacek.)

MM :frown2:

Rinkside
    I voted once just in case something unexpected happens. But the reason I did not vote multiple medals is because Johnny (imo) seems to have trouble pulling everything together on the international stage. He's great at nationals, but he hasn't delivered the goods. But there is hope!

MM - didn't we (the forum) discuss the pre-Olympic Worlds and realized that the winner of such events is not usually the Oly winner.

There are exceptions, of course. Hamil, Baiul, Flemming, Button, Jenkins. who else?

Joe

Joe, that's exactly my point. They can easily afford to give Johnny the pre-Olympic worlds, and then give the Olympics to Lambiel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    MM - didn't we (the forum) discuss the pre-Olympic Worlds and realized that the winner of such events is not usually the Oly winner.

There are exceptions, of course. Hamil, Baiul, Flemming, Button, Jenkins. who else?

Joe
    I think the Pattern was that more female skaters have won the pre Olympic worlds to their Olympic title.

In your list Hamill did not win her pre Olympic worlds (she won the post Olympic worlds) it was de Leuw who won '75 worlds.

I only delved as far back as the Mens and Ladies singles winners back to '76 Olympics and found that only one man managed the feat - Hamilton, no other man has.

As far as the women are concerned its just short of 50/50 and the ones that did win their pre-Olympic words all cam e in a streak:

Witt in '88
    Yamaguchi in '92
    Baiul in '94
    Lipinski in '98

Ant

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    i dont think (yet) that he has strong skills....
    artistically of course yes
    but footwork and difficulty....eh
    maybe....

Banned
    This year the mens is wide open. Lambiel probably goes into a quadrennial with an edge no the others, but that is all but negated by his injuries this summer probably, so 7 or 8 guys go in with an equal shot of establishing themselves. The pecking order heading into the next Olympics will start being established now. I am not saying thing cant change 1 or 2 years out from the Olympics, but guys who start establishing themselves higher in the pecking order now will have a big advantage, and probably have to lose their spots through poor performances like Joubert did after his 2004 year.

Custom Title

Will Weir ever win a World medal?

I voted that Johnny will win at least one world medal. I think Johnny is a very beautiful skater and is capable of standing on the podium at every competition.

However, I agree with the poster who thinks Johnny should concentrate on his skating instead of saying outlandish things and trying his best to be in the spot light. These distractions are taking away from his concentration. It seems to me that being dedicated to skating and keeping your mind on your job is the best way to become a champion. Johnny just seems so full of himself and so impressed with the attention he seems to generate that he forgets the real focus. Perhaps when he sheds the chip on his shoulder and gets down to business, he can become a succesful skater.

Dizzy

Custom Title
    Johnny is the most talented male skater right now. But I doubt if he could win. I am afraid of him being like "Sasha Cohen The Second". He doesn't have enough confidence and consistency on ice. I hope I will be proved wrong. I really, really wish he could win.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 11-19-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Banned
    I dont think there is any chance of Weir ever winning a World medal now. There are too many guys better skaters then him or better competitors. People say he is young and has lots of time but he is not really young anymore. Joubert is same age I believe, Lambiel and Lysacek are a year younger, Takahashi is two years younger, Oda is three years younger. Only Buttle of the top guys is older then him by two years. He is not younger then most of his rivals, most are same age or a bit younger. He is not this young pup with all the time ahead of him, he has the next 4 years probably and that is it, and guys his age or younger, and many of them more accomplished then he, with the same goals.

Lambiel is both a better skater and better competitor then Weir. Lambiel of all the other top guys is most out of reach for Weir. Unless Weir has a competition where he is really "on" and Lambiel has a total disaester in both short and long at the same competition Weir is really "on" like he had at Skate Canada Weir will never beat Lambiel again. Joubert is not a better overall skater then Weir, but is a much better jumper with more powerful stroking and overall skating, and is better competitor since even though he bombs alot, he can put it all together as well and put no-mistake events together. He is inconsistent and relies so much on his jumps, if he bombs his jumps and Weir has a good event Weir might come out ahead, but anytime Jouberts hits his big jumps he will beat Weir each time no matter what Johnny does. Oda is a better skater and better competitor then Weir already. He is already posting scores Weir never has, Oda posted an 81 at Skate America, Weir's highest ever score was the 80 at the Olympics under a very high scoring panel so should be taken with a grain of salt. Oda has never done a clean long with 2 triple axels and he has already posted scores higher then Weir's 147 PB in the long. Oda is not as polished as Weir but he is more interesting and crowd pleasing, does harder spins, and has bigger jumps. He does many clean shorts and almost clean longs though. Lysacek may not be a better skater then Weir but is a much better competitor and is earning the judges respect with his consistent skating which is leading to high scores in things like PCS which you build by building respect when your skating itself is not of the best quality. Lysacek has surpassed Weir as the top U.S skater, no matter who holds the US title, the only event Johnny has beaten Evan in the last 2 years has been the U.S Nationals.

Buttle is injured right now. He is a question marks but when he was healthy he was regularly outscoring Weir on all his best strengths like PCS, spins, footwork.
    His jumps are not any more inconsistent then Weir, and he maximizes jump scores in the long program much better then Weir. He is a similar competitor but better skater then Weir. Takahashi is similar inconsistenty to Weir, but more skating ability when he is "on".

Lambiel-better skater and competitor
    Joubert-stronger jumper, more powerful, better competitor
    Oda-better skater and competitor
    Lysacek-better competitor, more respected by judges due to competitive strength
    Buttle-better skater, similar competitor
    Takahashi-better skater, similar competor

There are too many guys over him, too much would have to fall into place for him to win a world medal. He is already as old or older, and has been near the top as long or longer then most of his rivals.