Will Weir ever win a World medal? | Golden Skate

Will Weir ever win a World medal?

Will Weir ever win a World medal(any color)

• yes he will win atleast 1 World medal

Votes: 77 49.0%
  • yes he will win multiple World medals

Votes: 34 21.7%
  • no he will never win a World medal

Votes: 46 29.3%

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
For all the inflated hype Johnny Weir has 0 World medals to date. Even his less hyped American rival Evan Lysacek already has 2, and has beaten him at the last 3 Olympic and World events. With younger skaters like Lambiel, Oda, and Lysacek passing him by, and others like Joubert, Takahashi, and Buttle still going strong do you think Weir will ever win a World medal of any color, no specific color either.

There's only a year between Weir and the L men. That's negligible.

I voted at least one. I wish I had confidence to vote for multiple. But what I lack in confidence, I make up for in hope. I think he's one of the greats... almost. I hope he is as serious this year as he has said he'll be.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would like to put it this way: I do hope very much that Weir will win at least one World medal. One has to be realistic though and look at his competitors. Today there are several other skaters I find more likely ones to be able to win a medal in a big international competition like Worlds:

(- Plushenko, if he is coming back after 2006-2007 season)
- Lambiel
- Joubert
- Lysacek
- Buttle

Besides, from Japan are coming two extremely talented skaters

- Takahashi
- Oda

and I really expect at least one of them to stand on Worlds podium soon.

About Weir I have gotten the impression that for some time he has been more concentrated in becoming a household name through other forums than a skating rink. Besides, Weir talks a lot, I would prefer to see less talk and better skating results instead. Very much hoping to be wrong though, to see a less distracted Weir next season, because of course he still is one of my big favourites among male singles skaters.

Last edited:
Johnny can win a Worlds and more. He is a very beautiful and unique skater. He's got to realize that this is a Sport and not just a glamour trip to associate with Christina Aguilera and Kathy Griffin.

I see him as a figure skater which is what he does best, and see the tough competition he is facing - not only internationally but also in the USA.

In the US, he not only has Lysecek, there is also the up and coming Carriere as well as Smith. Internationallly he has at least 2 top skaters each from Japan, Europe and Canada.

Will he win a Worlds? He can! Will he? Not sure at all.

Joe

flutterby1145

Rinkside
Johnny is probably the most talented skater and is one of the most beautiful skaters, imo. I definately think he can win multiple World medals. He is certainly capable of being a World Champion.

My prediction: they will give Johnny the 2009 world championship.

It's in the U.S. (Los Angeles), and it's the pre-Olympic worlds, where the ISU will be looking to start the hype machine pointing toward Vancouver.

This will make it seem like the U.S. guy has a chance at the gold medal at the Olympics, against Lambiel and Joubert. (But no CCCP jackets and high heel shoes, Johnny, or you'll blow the whole deal and they'll go with Lysacek.)

MM :frown2:

temperboy27

Match Penalty
Mr. or Mrs. Mathman are you serious? Somebody would be given a World title just to build pre-olympic hype, and because of location?

No, I was just kidding. We've got Mr. Cinquanta, Mr. Pizeev and a whole raft of ISU officials safeguarding the integrity of the sport. :cool:

helena

Spectator
I voted once just in case something unexpected happens. But the reason I did not vote multiple medals is because Johnny (imo) seems to have trouble pulling everything together on the international stage. He's great at nationals, but he hasn't delivered the goods. But there is hope!

MM - didn't we (the forum) discuss the pre-Olympic Worlds and realized that the winner of such events is not usually the Oly winner.

There are exceptions, of course. Hamil, Baiul, Flemming, Button, Jenkins. who else?

Joe

Joe, that's exactly my point. They can easily afford to give Johnny the pre-Olympic worlds, and then give the Olympics to Lambiel.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t think that because of the location the pre-Olympic gold medal would be "given" by the judges to Weir. Especially not for a skater who isn´t any multiple winner already. Irina Rodnina once said something like: "First a skater works for a reputation and after that the reputation works for the skater", LOL.

Weir could get a bronze medal the way Lindemann did in Dortmund. On the other hand one must not forget Lysacek who today with his two Worlds bronze medals already has a higher reputation than Weir having no Worlds medals so far.

Last edited:

debdelilah

On the Ice
I predict(with my smoking crystal ball), that he will win a medal(not Gold) at Worlds in 2007, then no World medals in 2008 or 09, and then a medal(not Gold) in 2010 at Vancouver.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Johnny really gets serious about his skating then he will win a medal.

Dee

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
debdelilah said:
I predict(with my smoking crystal ball), that he will win a medal(not Gold) at Worlds in 2007, then no World medals in 2008 or 09, and then a medal(not Gold) in 2010 at Vancouver.

If your crystal ball turns out exactly right I will give you kudos for it. :p

IcePrincess

Rinkside
Yes, Johnny Weir will win Worlds,and no doubt the Olympics as well. He has a Presence on the ice. His jumps are absolutely beautiful, spins amazing, and no doubt more grace than the whole field of male skaters put together. Now is the perfect time for him. You can tell that he is hungrey for it. He wants it now. No one thought he would win nationals before either, but I think he proved the doubters wrong. He is braking all the rules in figure skating and having a blast doing it. Horray for Johnny!

Kasey

Medalist
I don't know that he'll WIN worlds or Olys, but I do believe he will win more than one worlds medal. He is still "young" in skating, in that he hasn't been doing it as long as many others his chronological age, and he's already had a great deal of success. I think it's just inevitable that he gets his focus to the point where he can hold it together at the big international events, and it will be a really nice thing to see.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It seems most think he will medal at some point on here, since only just over 20% voted never. So if we are good forecasters that is good news for him I guess. I wish I had made the first option, "only 1 world medal" instead of "atleast 1 world medal" since now I am wondering if those are people who think he will only win 1, or who are thinking maybe 1 or maybe more then 1.

The mens event will be very interesting over the next 4 years, probably the most interesting of all four events. You have 21 year old Weir, Lambiel who recently turned 21 after Worlds, Lysacek who turned 21 after Worlds as well, Takahashi who is 19, Oda who is 18, and Buttle who is 23 but a late bloomer. If all of those stay healthy and motivated, it could get even more crowded at the top with all the up and comers from Canada, Japan, China, and the U.S coming up now.