View Poll Results: Will Weir ever win a World medal(any color)

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes he will win atleast 1 World medal

78 49.37%
  • yes he will win multiple World medals

34 21.52%
  • no he will never win a World medal

46 29.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will Weir ever win a World medal?

But will you give her $1000?

Rinkside
    Yes, Johnny Weir will win Worlds,and no doubt the Olympics as well. He has a Presence on the ice. His jumps are absolutely beautiful, spins amazing, and no doubt more grace than the whole field of male skaters put together. Now is the perfect time for him. You can tell that he is hungrey for it. He wants it now. No one thought he would win nationals before either, but I think he proved the doubters wrong. He is braking all the rules in figure skating and having a blast doing it. Horray for Johnny!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    But will you give her $1000?
    It depends what jump I have then I guess.

Skating Freak Barbie
    I don't know that he'll WIN worlds or Olys, but I do believe he will win more than one worlds medal. He is still "young" in skating, in that he hasn't been doing it as long as many others his chronological age, and he's already had a great deal of success. I think it's just inevitable that he gets his focus to the point where he can hold it together at the big international events, and it will be a really nice thing to see.

Banned
    It seems most think he will medal at some point on here, since only just over 20% voted never. So if we are good forecasters that is good news for him I guess. I wish I had made the first option, "only 1 world medal" instead of "atleast 1 world medal" since now I am wondering if those are people who think he will only win 1, or who are thinking maybe 1 or maybe more then 1.

The mens event will be very interesting over the next 4 years, probably the most interesting of all four events. You have 21 year old Weir, Lambiel who recently turned 21 after Worlds, Lysacek who turned 21 after Worlds as well, Takahashi who is 19, Oda who is 18, and Buttle who is 23 but a late bloomer. If all of those stay healthy and motivated, it could get even more crowded at the top with all the up and comers from Canada, Japan, China, and the U.S coming up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    MM - didn't we (the forum) discuss the pre-Olympic Worlds and realized that the winner of such events is not usually the Oly winner.

There are exceptions, of course. Hamil, Baiul, Flemming, Button, Jenkins. who else?

Joe
    I think the Pattern was that more female skaters have won the pre Olympic worlds to their Olympic title.

In your list Hamill did not win her pre Olympic worlds (she won the post Olympic worlds) it was de Leuw who won '75 worlds.

I only delved as far back as the Mens and Ladies singles winners back to '76 Olympics and found that only one man managed the feat - Hamilton, no other man has.

As far as the women are concerned its just short of 50/50 and the ones that did win their pre-Olympic words all cam e in a streak:

Witt in '88
    Yamaguchi in '92
    Baiul in '94
    Lipinski in '98

Ant

Thanks Ant.

It does show that Pre Oly Worlds, is not necessarily an auger of Oly gold.

Joe

Banned
    For the men it looks like you dont want to win the pre-Olympic Worlds if you want to win the Olympics. For women it looked for awhile like you did, but that has changed around a bit with the last two Olympic bronzes going to the reigning World Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Thanks Ant.

It does show that Pre Oly Worlds, is not necessarily an auger of Oly gold.

Joe
    And even more so i'd say for the men its a down right curse!! Maybe it was a good thing for Pluschenko that he got injured and had to withdraw from 2005 Worlds, otherwise that curse might have struck and left him without Olympic gold!!

In all honesty i think if Plushy had competed he would have been there with Hamilton as pre Oly world winner.

Ant

About these statistical trends, as we are constantly reminded in ads for investment schemes, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Not important, but it is very odd how MM's old post (and several others) keeps showing up as made "today." Is it just this forum?

Just to keep on topic, I'll reiterate that Johnny is sure to medal at Worlds - hopefully this year!
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 09-19-2006 at 05:30 PM.

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    i dont think (yet) that he has strong skills....
    artistically of course yes
    but footwork and difficulty....eh
    maybe....

Banned
    This year the mens is wide open. Lambiel probably goes into a quadrennial with an edge no the others, but that is all but negated by his injuries this summer probably, so 7 or 8 guys go in with an equal shot of establishing themselves. The pecking order heading into the next Olympics will start being established now. I am not saying thing cant change 1 or 2 years out from the Olympics, but guys who start establishing themselves higher in the pecking order now will have a big advantage, and probably have to lose their spots through poor performances like Joubert did after his 2004 year.

Custom Title

Will Weir ever win a World medal?

I voted that Johnny will win at least one world medal. I think Johnny is a very beautiful skater and is capable of standing on the podium at every competition.

However, I agree with the poster who thinks Johnny should concentrate on his skating instead of saying outlandish things and trying his best to be in the spot light. These distractions are taking away from his concentration. It seems to me that being dedicated to skating and keeping your mind on your job is the best way to become a champion. Johnny just seems so full of himself and so impressed with the attention he seems to generate that he forgets the real focus. Perhaps when he sheds the chip on his shoulder and gets down to business, he can become a succesful skater.

Dizzy

Custom Title
    Johnny is the most talented male skater right now. But I doubt if he could win. I am afraid of him being like "Sasha Cohen The Second". He doesn't have enough confidence and consistency on ice. I hope I will be proved wrong. I really, really wish he could win.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 11-19-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast