Ice-skaters should wear hockey-type helmets? | Golden Skate

Ice-skaters should wear hockey-type helmets?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDaily/view.php?StoryID=20060808-054327-1067r

I know this topic comes up from time to time, but there have been types suggested for practice that weigh as much as a hair style change. Fitted style of head gear have been coming up. A layer that does not move when spinning, I mean how hard could it be? I wrapped a thin 2 inch band of sleeping pad under a bandanna, used twice, once hit right on the back of the head. Granted I am not hitting at 35mph and pulling 2s even. so...

Once again the helmet thing comes up. Anything going to change? Anyone wearing these or any type?

I agree with Paul Binnebose, we can't walk around in a bubble. And Tatiana's thoughts of what about the rest of the body. But the thought of throwing of balance, distraction, etc.. shouldn't that be something that is overcome by now with tech? for the practice aspect, i.e. new attempt at...?

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Uh...people fall FORWARD on the ice? Since when? The majority of times I've fallen on the ice, including the scariest ones, I've gone BACKWARDS. That's the kind where you can't protect your head except by sitting up as you go down. Generally, I land on my hip when I fall. I'm a great deal more concerned with back of the head injuries (not least because the skull is a lot thinner there than on the forehead) and rotational injuries. And maybe blunt-force impact injuries from collisions. But forward falls?

I guess with little kids and older people, who aren't doing much, it doesn't matter about the balance. And it's true I'd never get on a horse without a helmet (I have done many, many more forward falls off horses than on the ice. I think I've gone face-first twice, and I broke my fall with my hands.) But hockey helmets with face masks? At the VERY least, I'm not wearing anything that obscures/eliminates my peripheral vision. That could make sessions a collision waiting to happen, and public skate a complete nightmare.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
Uh...people fall FORWARD on the ice?
That surprises me too (mention in the article), I have not had that issue. But I can recall the happening of this in pairs. I don't think the article is all that realistic with all disciplines, but it is bringing up a point.

As I have experienced that the hits I have experienced have been on the back and side of the head. And my timing was horrible when I decided to keep it off for a bunny hop - and that would not have helped the tooth. But the brain, the brain is really important. So JVC I totally agree that the falling forward facemask just ridiculous IMO - but I don't skate pairs either. But the concern to the rest of the head to me should be overcome by now.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/art..._HEALTH-LEISURE-SKATERS-DC.XML&archived=False

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I think brand new skaters might be inclined to fall forward. You feel yourself falling backwards; so, you thrust your butt backwards and you end up falling forwards. Then, there's that toe pick to trip over - I can still picture DB Sweeney tripping forward on it in The Cutting Edge.

I don't think hockey helmets block the peripheral vision as much as a football helmet. I would just think that it's distracting, especially if it starts slipping. They also wouldn't be very aesthetically appealing during competition.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think it's appropriate for young children to wear helmets - as they do here in Canada - when they are starting to learn to figure skate. However, I skated for years and we never wore such gear. We used to kid we needed something for our bottoms to land on!!

It might be a good idea for helmets to be worn by skaters when they are learning quads and some of the dangerous throws the pair teams do. But generally speaking I don't think helmets are necessary. This is figure skating not the NHL.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I agree, let underaged kids wear helmets and adults can decide for themselves . I ride horses, and we hear the same exact argument for why many riders hate wearing ASTM approved helmets-too big abd bulky, makes you fall head 1st harder, distracting...etc, etc...but there are many new helmets that are lightweight and safe, so people are slowly starting to embrace the idea everyone, not just under 18, should wear approved hats.

Linny

Final Flight
Arguments

I'm a horseback riding instructor and I don't hear any arguments at all. No helmet, no riding. It ain't up for discussion. Pretty simple.

Re falling forward - perhaps the article was aimed at in-line roller skaters? Do they fall forward more? Based on personal experience and anticdotal evidence, I'd agree that backward is more likely for figure skaters.

Linny

MKFSfan

Medalist
Linny said:
I'm a horseback riding instructor and I don't hear any arguments at all. No helmet, no riding. It ain't up for discussion. Pretty simple.

Linny
I'm talking about professionals who objected the rule change, not all of them, but there were many who were not happy to switch from hunt caps. Now with the popularity of the GPA's and similar styles, many have changed their hats. Many students, kids and adults, seem very willing to wear one.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Linny said:
No helmet, no riding. It ain't up for discussion. Pretty simple.
:clap:
That is the way I feel about cycling too. Motor and Bi.

As far as the face and frontal lobe being protected, I just don't have as much concern - still a concern though. The effects of brain damage I think are of the most paramount - not the only, but should be addressed with more urgency.

As far as FS in particular, I think something should be developed and tested for FS specifically. I can't find a pic of anything I would in vision, so heres a REALLY quick little doodle.:laugh: Might not be perfect for bald types, but I am thinking something like strips of "anti-slip rubber / silicone" where the foam would touch the skin.

I think I should do a little better job on this sketch, don't you?:rofl:

BTW, I am starting to see kids wear their bike helmets at the rink. But there is still that "cool" factor. I guess they don't realize what they look like laying on the ground lifeless or flopping around like a fish due to convolutions.

I was cycling with 3 friends years ago, and we went to do the 4 bike post at a left turn light, the last man to grab bars missed and fell side ways from a full stop. What could have been totally avoided by wearing a helmet was now a split ear and a very unnerving look of hollowness in his eyes - hence a trip to the ER for scans.
I have also seen ripped up ears and head bruises from tires blowing and going down side ways. Just so easy to avoid. And I think they look much cooler standing up from an accident then lying there or bleeding from the head. JMO.

Last edited: