Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rudy & Johnny pairs lifts

Custom Title

Rudy & Johnny pairs lifts

http://p203.ezboard.com/fjohnnyweirm...tart=1&stop=20

They were practicing pairs lifts in San Francisco.

That argument from earlier this year seems completely in the past.

Custom Title
    One of the cheesefests is advertising "a unique competitive format"; maybe it will be a pro-am with a new pairs team.

Wow, Rudy is strong! Johnny is no heavyweight, but he's no Kristi Y. either! And, I remember Rudy said in his book that he had to do a good bit of strength training for pairs because he isn't a naturally big strong guy. Nice pic of Johnny and the little girl too.

Custom Title
    Johnny and Rudy are around the same weight, give or take a few pounds. Last I looked, Johnny's profile said 139 lbs, and Rudy's said 136. Johnny's pairs experience never went beyond the Novice level, so it's good that Rudy's doing the lifting, I think. And he IS strong.

Quote Originally Posted by debdelilah
    http://p203.ezboard.com/fjohnnyweirm...tart=1&stop=20

They were practicing pairs lifts in San Francisco.

That argument from earlier this year seems completely in the past.
    Good way to get hurt.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3
    Good way to get hurt.
    Good point.

But there are many things in figure skating that could be summed up as a "good way to get hurt".

I think(hope) they know enough to minimize risks.

Custom Title
    What happened? I clicked earlier today, and saw the pictures; when I clicked just before typing this post, I saw only blue spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    One of the cheesefests is advertising "a unique competitive format"; maybe it will be a pro-am with a new pairs team.

Quote Originally Posted by Attyfan
    What happened? I clicked earlier today, and saw the pictures; when I clicked just before typing this post, I saw only blue spaces.
    They seem to be back now. Here's a direct link to the lift picture.

http://draftgore.com/lift.jpg

I'd like to see more single skaters team up for pairs. I don't mean for competitive purposes, but there are some basic lifts which would look good or even better with two senior skates. It's not unusual in non-ice Dance.

Joe

Custom Title
    Rudy Galindo was in Chicago for the Gay Games, which was held last month, and is held in the summer of every Winter Olympics year. He was also one of the Ambassadors for the Games, and was the figure skating chair.
    The next one is in Cologne, Germany, the summer of 2010.
    http://www.chicago2006.org/media/article.php?aid=55

The Gay Games include same sex pairs figure skating competitions, and took place from July 15-22, right about the same time Johnny and Rudy started doing the throw double axel in COI.

It would be neat if they plan to compete in 2010. The ISU wouldn't sanction the competition, but Johnny plans to retire from competitive skating after the 2010 Olympics anyway.

The website for the 2010 Games in Cologne is here: http://www.games-cologne.com/
    Last edited by debdelilah; 08-17-2006 at 08:12 AM. Reason: not sure about whether he skated an exhibition

Quote Originally Posted by debdelilah
    Good point.

But there are many things in figure skating that could be summed up as a "good way to get hurt".

I think(hope) they know enough to minimize risks.
    True - but how silly it would be to get hurt doing a skating more or any move (on skates or not) that one would not normally do and risk stunting or ending a career. (example - didn't meryl davis' partner break an ankle playing hockey and they couldn't compete for the rest of the year? I respect he has other interests, but if he's got ambitions of skating for a while he ows it to himself - and Meryl to minimize injury - esp. from silly things)

I guess, if a skater or any athlete was injured while prac. moves that are central to thier sport, I'd tend to feel more empathy for them than if they go hurt goofing off and taking risks that are not worth it.

Just my thoughts.

Tripping on the Podium
    I think that Rudy and Johnny were practicing the lifts off-ice only. That doesn't seem too risky.

[CENTER]Well, it's about time. Rudy finally got himself a partner who also skates clockwise. He always used to look uncomfortable doing those conjoined spins with Kristie, spinning in the wrong direction.[/CENTER]

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IDLERACER View Post
    [CENTER]Well, it's about time. Rudy finally got himself a partner who also skates clockwise. He always used to look uncomfortable doing those conjoined spins with Kristie, spinning in the wrong direction.[/CENTER]
    Maybe it was Kristi spinning the wrong way.

Dee

I'm sure i've seen an off-ice picture of Rudy in a star lift, being lifted by an elligible skater from one of last year's tours...anyone remember the picture? I want to say it was Maxim Marinin that was lifting him but cannot say for sure.

Ant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast