Rusted Blades | Golden Skate

Rusted Blades

flutterby1145

Rinkside
Yesterday I looked at my blades and found some rust on them. A few weeks ago I went skating, when I got off the ice I put my soakers over the blades. When I got to my skating bag, I wiped off the blades with a small towel and put the soakers back on. I thought the soakers could be put on right after you step off the ice. Is there anything I can do to take the rust off?

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
Soakers get wet too!! It's advised that you wipe your blades of well before you put your skates on because, not only will some water stay, but if the soakers get too wet, then your blades can rust. Sometimes when I get home, I even take the soakers off of my blades after I get home and let them air dry.

To dry your soakers out, just turn them inside out and put them in the dryer for about ten minutes. Another dryer-friendly tip, dryer-sheets also make good boot fresheners! :laugh:

mskater93

Record Breaker
You should transport yourself in your hard guards and use the soakers for storage. Take the hard guards off, dry your blades well, THEN put the soakers on. Also, by transporting yourself in soakers, you are reducing their life expectancy.

Rusty Blades

Rinkside
Don't forget your blades are cold when you come off the ice and in hot weather, they will "sweat" and need to be dried again when they warm up.

Lightly polishing with steel wool will remove the rust and wiping with any kind of oil will protect them until the next time you skate. If you're crazy like me, a little car wax will help keep them shiny and protect them even more (everything except the edge).

megsk8z

On the Ice
And don't leave them in your skate bag when you get home. My skate sharpening guy says to store them with the heel of your skate on the ground. That way any excess water will run down the skate and leave.

This skate care stuff is a lot more complicated than most people think it is.

Erica Lee

Rinkside
And not only is it good for your blade to take your skates out of your bag when you get home, but it's great for your boot too. It will stop your soles from rotting prematurely and will help air out any sweat that has built up on the inside of your boot, preventing any fungus/mold/smell from forming!