Cohen's beauty and polish not appreciated? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Cohen's beauty and polish not appreciated?

MKFSfan

Medalist
Alissa did SA in 2004 as Michelle's replacement, she was 4th.

Last season, she did have a good SA LP and was very good at SC. But she fell apart in the 1st Cheesefest of the year, GPF, Nationals and Jr. Worlds. Even at Marshalls Skatefest, she had problems with her jumps, so it's not all nerves- BUT she also had a crazy schedule to contend with, between going to GPF the week before and finals the week after.

I did a little checking, and it does seem like the judges are giving Alissa fairly consistent PCSs more or less independent of her jumping adventures.

Skate America: negative GOE on 3Lz/2T, fall on 3F, TES 55.40, PCS 52.08

Skate Canada: doubled F, TES 54.66 (less than Skate America!), PCS 55.12

Grand Prix Final: doubled F, popped Axel, downgrade and fall on Lz, TES 43.24, PCS 50.40.

U.S. Nationals: fall on 3F, downgrade and fall on 2T, downgrade and fall on 2F, TES 42.56, PCS 55.44.

Japan cheesefest: multiple disasters on jumps, TES 35.60, PCS 52.80

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
That strikes me as a little odd. Don't the PCS usually rise and fall with the TES?

lisadotdash

Rinkside
One complaint I read about American Beauty was that the only sane characters in that movie were the two gay guys. Everyone else was sickeroo.

Joe

Brings a smile to my face. That phrase "You are so busted" is still said far and wide to this day.

That strikes me as a little odd. Don't the PCS usually rise and fall with the TES?
It certainly seems that way over the years. The PCS scores are kept close based on the TES scores. Judges don't want to stray too far from the 6.0 system.

Joe

Sasha and Alissa seem to be exceptions to that general rule. It seems like the judges are trying to give credit for consistently outstanding presentation skills when they can.

This would contrast with, say, Slutskaya or Meissner. Irina's and Kimmie's PCSs seem to be closely correlated with the wow factors of their technical elements. When they miss technically, the presentation scores go down, too.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Sasha and Alissa seem to be exceptions to that general rule. It seems like the judges are trying to give credit for consistently outstanding presentation skills when they can.

This would contrast with, say, Slutskaya or Meissner. Irina's and Kimmie's PCSs seem to be closely correlated with the wow factors of their technical elements. When they miss technically, the presentation scores go down, too.

In Turin, particularly in Turin, Slutskaya had lower scores for GOE on jumps, spins, footwork, and lower PCS scores in all areas then she is used to. Aside from the big mistakes which cost her big time points, she also lost points since the overall performance and execution level aside from those mistakes was far from her usual standard. Her short program was very good but nothing like her short performances on the GP circuit early in the year. Her long program was so tenative, lacking enthusiasm, and insecure, for her standards, even before the two fatal mistakes near the end.

I really have to believe that Irina's vasculitis played a role in her tailing off at the end of a long and arduous season last year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hmm, well the best that would be is just speculation. Didn't she want to go eventually but the deadline to enter was up or something?

I don't think we'll see her compete again.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I really have to believe that Irina's vasculitis played a role in her tailing off at the end of a long and arduous season last year.

:agree:
And don't forget Pericarditis in addition, a "ill" heart pumping to "ill" veins. That is one tough lady:agree:

hmm, well the best that would be is just speculation. Didn't she want to go eventually but the deadline to enter was up or something?
Yes, for Worlds. But she had already turned in a GP finals performance that was not quite as spectacular as she had been earlier. She won Euros, but not in as fine a fashion as she had won Cup of China and Cup or Russia. And then in her Olympic LP, as Slutskayafan details, she appeared to be out of gas altogether.
I don't think we'll see her compete again.
I do. I think we'll see her at Campbell's in a couple of months. :agree:

You are probably correct. Most judges get ovewhelmed with acrobatic extensions. A good case for calling it more vaudeville than ballet.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
MM- If you look at Irina's 2006 season like that, then I think it's a legit concern. But I think it's a condition she basically has under control.

But Cohen's 06 season was the same way. Started out strong and fizzled, and she wasn't ill. I think this was the basic trend for most of the skaters.

I think we'll see her at Campbell's in a couple of months. :agree:

I don't even know the roster for Campbell's, and I can't find it.

Anyway, campbell's isn't a competition according to you guys, so it doesn't count. :p

But Cohen's 06 season was the same way. Started out strong and fizzled, and she wasn't ill. I think this was the basic trend for most of the skaters.
I don't think we can say that Sasha came out strong. She withdrew from Skate America citing minor injury, at Eric Bompard she came in second (third in the free skate), then she didn't compete again (except for the audience-vote cheesefest) until Nationals, where she was not really challenged.

That was it, until Olympics and Worlds.

But if you want to talk about peaking at the right time, Shizuka's season was Eric Bompard, 3rd; Cup of China, 3rd; did not make the GP final (although 3 Japanese skaters did -- Asada, Nakano and Ando); Japanese Nationals, 3rd....and the rest is history, LOL.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think you're right re. Cohen. But I think we can safely say that she started out the season strongER than she was after Worlds.

So she started out average, peaked during the Olympic SP and then it was all downhill from there.

And we won't ever see her compete again (unless you count Campbell's "pro-am" - and as we skate fans know those are just stupid little "cheesefests"), just like Kwan, Arakawa and Slutskaya. Bring on the new faces of skating...this room is starting to smell a bit musty :yes:

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

I agree. It was something others warned to us Irina fanatics earlier, but we would hear none of it, and stood steadfast nothing was going to stand in the way of Irina's march to that elusive Oly Gold. It turned out to be accurate though.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think you're right re. Cohen. But I think we can safely say that she started out the season strongER than she was after Worlds.

So she started out average, peaked during the Olympic SP and then it was all downhill from there.

And we won't ever see her compete again (unless you count Campbell's "pro-am" - and as we skate fans know those are just stupid little "cheesefests"), just like Kwan, Arakawa and Slutskaya. Bring on the new faces of skating...this room is starting to smell a bit musty :yes:

I really do not believe we will ever see any of Cohen, Slutskaya, Kwan, or Arakawa again in an amateur competition. Arakawa is the only for sure but I would probably bet money on seeing none of them ever again in an ISU event that is not a "cheesefest".

Cohen's 2006 season wasn't the best for her although her Oly LP was excellent but marred with the two big mistakes. Worlds LP was forgettable JMO

She did win Nationals with Kwan absent.

If she plans on doing another Worlds, she has to skate Nationals and again meet up with the US Queen of 3x3s. Will she? I'm not sure.

I think Sasha will be watching Campbells and Marshalls closesly before Nats to make her final decision.

Joe

Last edited: