Things to do in Boston, MA | Golden Skate

Things to do in Boston, MA

Arianne

On the Ice
My husband and I will be in Boston for two days next week. I'm trying to plan things to do those days. Does anybody have any advice about great things to do in Boston? What should I visit? Any insight from those who live in Boston or have traveled there would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
When my husband and I were in Boston, we didn't have time for much, so we took one of those tourist bus trips and it was really interestinng. Did that in several cities like Quebec City. Did you know they pronounce it
kabek?

heyang

Record Breaker
Wrong time of year, but we went on a ghost tour.

You could ride the duck boats (you have to get on line early to get tickets), follow the history trail which takes you to many important sites in American History (i.e the Old North Church, etc), shop at Fanueil Hall. I think there's a dessert buffet at the Ritz Carlton that's really good.

Here's a pretty good site for things to do...

http://www.thingstodo.com/states/MA/index.htm

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Don't forget Quincy Market! Its a ton of fun. My friend and I went there and bought bright red lobster hats, and wore them around the city all morning!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Follow the Freedom Trail, tour the USS Constitution. Spend some time in the Boston Public Garden, and ride one of the swan boats. We didn't get a chance to visit the Kennedy Library last time (we only had one day in Boston), but I would definitely visit it next time.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If you want a fun tour, consider "duck tour".

If you like to walk, here is a standard walk I take the visitors on in Boston:

1. Take the green line T to "Hynes Convention Center".
2. Walk over to Newbury Street. Walk all the way through Newbury Street to Public Garden.
3. Cross over Boston Common
4. Make a left on Charles street to get to Beacon Hill. After crossing Beacon Street, walk another couple of blocks to Mt. Vernon St. and make a right. Walk the whole length of Mt. Vernon. This will give you a good sense of Beacon Hill (including Lousbourg Square which you will pass on your left).
5. At the end of Mt. Vernon, make a right and another right. Admire the State House.
6. Walk across Boston Common to Tremont Street.
7. Take any of the streets (I suggest Winter St) to Washington St. Make a left on Washington. This will give you a good sense of Downtown Crossing.
8. Take Washington all the way to the end. Make a right, then left on Congress. Walk over to Fanueil Hall (if you want to, walk a little further to see the Holocaust Memorial).
9. Walk across the Fanuiel Hall/ Quincy market. It's very touristy, but fun.
10. Walk across to Christopher Columbus park on the waterfront.
11. From here you have two options. One is to make a right on Atlantic Ave, and see Long warf, Roes ward, etc. If you want a harbor cruise, that's where you start. Also, the boston aquarium is there.
12. The other option is to take a left on Atlantic, and cut across any of the streets to Hanover. This takes you to North End, Boston's rather authentic Little Italy.

In addition to this "tour" of mine, there is the must see of Harvard Square in Cambridge. There are also some historical sites that I frankly don't find particularly interesting. If you have time, also see the South End - following its gentrification, it's the true gem of Boston. Also, walk at least a few blocks of Commonwealth Ave in Back Bay - you really get the sense of the area. There is also the Chinatown. If you want a good arial (sp?) view of Boston, a cup of coffee at the "Top of the Hub" - restaurant at the top of the Prudential; the view is amazing.

If you have to take 1 guide book with you, I highly recommend the Rough Guide to Boston. It doesn't just tell you the obvious; it really hits the out-of-the way spots, such as the Japanese Mall where you can have the best (and among the cheapest) sushi around.

Last edited:

Arianne

On the Ice
Thank you everyone! It like the idea of a tour. I will have to print these responses and take them with me! Is the Boston Zoo nice?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Boston zoo is nothing much at all, AND it's out of the way. However, our Aquarium is quite impressive, and it's right on the waterfront.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is a treasure house for anyone who likes painting or old mansions. It's very close to the Museum of Fine Arts (but I wouldn't recommend doing both in the same day).