Getting sick of reality t.v. | Golden Skate

Getting sick of reality t.v.

Arianne

On the Ice
Ok, I would just LOVE to see more quality t.v. There is a lot of "reality" crap out there and I can't believe that people just eat it up. I do love American Idol and thought Dancing with the Stars was nice, but there is just too much reality t.v. out there IMHO. This summer has been overwhelmingly reality t.v. with all these talent shows and I must be in the minority here, but I find them all to be pretty boring. What does goldenskate think about reality t.v.? I mean, I'd just prefer to watch figure skating all the time, but we have this down time (like now!) and I just wish I could find something of substance to watch.

Arianne

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
There are a few of the shows I would like to keep, but for the most part, I am very tired of show after show popping up. It's getting real old.

Jhar55

Medalist
Only ones i watch is Amazing Race, Big Brother and Surivior
Well I watch Girls Next Door but don't consider that reality.

heyang

Record Breaker
Summer is usually loaded with re-runs. Since reality shows are less expensive to produce, the networks really load them up. If they are successful (ie. American Idol, Amazing Race, Survivor, Apprentice, Dancing with the Stars), they end up putting them on in the fall or as mid-season replacements.

I've noticed there are more talent based reality/contests. I much prefer these over the dregs like the Bachelor/Bachelorette, Joe Millionaire, Temptation Island, etc. I don't enjoy any of the 'romance' reality shows.

Things like Wipe Swap/Trading Spouses and Super Nanny seem to allow people to appreciate what they have more and/or provide some much needed guidance, respectively.

I also enjoy Beauty and the Geek since the ladies usually become more grounded and the guys more confident.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And they'll keep coming until the ratings plummet. If one is really sick of them one just will refuse to watch them and the TV networks will respond accordingly.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
And they'll keep coming until the ratings plummet. If one is really sick of them one just will refuse to watch them and the TV networks will respond accordingly.

Amen. People are afraid to be alone with their own thoughts. How else can you explain the moronic shows like American Idol, that actually find an audience? It is sad that the public is so addicted to garbage. There is nothing wrong with a few hours of television a week, but there are actually people who watch every day. How pathetic.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Ariane:

My sentiments exactly. I started a thread - Americas got talent shows, but no one responded. I am getting weary of these endless mindless shows. I think big brother and fear factor top my list as most inane, then followed by the new America's got talent.

When will it end??????

twinsissv

Rinkside
mmscfdcsu said:
When people grow up, get a life and turn off the stupid boob tube.

...Or at least find some quality programming (yes, there is some out there) Better yet, pick up a good book, folks!!!

Wolfgang

On the Ice
The only so-called 'reality' shows I watch are the klids' ones, like Endurance, Trading Spaces, and Rockstar [insert name of band] because of Brooke Burke.......
The rest is such abysmal garbage that I'd rather twiddle my thumbs.......

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
twinsissv said:
...Or at least find some quality programming (yes, there is some out there) Better yet, pick up a good book, folks!!!
Books?:p Sorry nothing against them, but I can't stand reading books, I would much rather read it off the monitor:laugh:

"Comics" (graphic novels and Manga are way more fun for me) Anyone read the Identity Crisis series (most the classic super heroes) about a year ago. It was really good. Don't knock it unless you have "been there" recently. Not everyone who reads those are "mouth breathers," I have one acquaintance that frequents the same shop as I and he is a conductor.

Anyway, yes, being more selective about your channels is a good idea. If you are stuck watching the "air waves" you don't get that much choice. Reality shows always strike me as an odd concept any way. I really think there are "Altered reality shows." When I am watching TLC, History or Animal Planet, something along those lines, that I feel is reality TV.

I do agree there is some good programing out there. And personally if people do start turning off the TV more, there will be MORE of those types of shows popping up to try and gain viewers. Watching something else is the best way to encourage a change. To bad they choose most of the Neilson Families based on the most capable of being media brainwashed. At least that is how it appears.

There are also surveys (I know, evil word) you can take to voice the things you enjoy. TV programing is a very common marketing strategy. They will create something that they have some evidence that you are going to want to watch, this is ALL based on demographics and statistics. So you have to make you voice be heard to make the change - don't make them guess, they'll usually pick tried and true to keep the sponsorships. Personally I have a "junk mail account" just for potential spam junk. I look through it once and a while, but for the most part it is just so I don't have a "Real" filled mailbox with crap in it. Works like a charm.

Anyway, changing programing on TV is acutely one of the easiest things in the world to get changed, You just have to have the numbers on your side to minimize them taking a risk.

IDLERACER

Medalist
"Reality TV" is a misnomer. None of those shows are real. Not only are they all scripted, but heavily rehearsed. All of the participants are either members of SAG or AFTRA, and there are tons of writing credits at the end of each episode.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well put my name down as one of the moronic idiots who enjoys American Idol... I didn't realize watching one show brought my IQ level down that far ;)

I do have the TV on most of the time I'm home, as background noise... I do have a lot of favorite prime time shows, but when you're in Alaska, there's only so much book reading one can do... books are too expensive, I'm with Sean, I'd much prefer to read on my computer screen... where more of my interests are readily available...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IMO reality TV is no better or worse than any other TV programing. So unless you are spending all of your spare time volunteering for doctors without borders, habitat for humanity or some other noble ventures quit criticising something as trivial as someone's TV watching habits.

heyang

Record Breaker
IMO reality TV is no better or worse than any other TV programing. So unless you are spending all of your spare time volunteering for doctors without borders, habitat for humanity or some other noble ventures quit criticising something as trivial as someone's TV watching habits.

I agree with Piel and others. Anything you do is what you make of it. Even 'idiot' programming can provoke some deeper thought or show you a different perspective. Beauty & the Geek is an example - the guys usually learn that pretty women are not neccesarily confident and the girls learn to look beyond the physical. There are also plenty of qualilty shows - 30 Days, Prison Break, Lost, etc. Sitcoms bring laughter, etc.

Also, trends are cyclical. 'Reality' tv is what sitcoms were in the late 70's into early 80's. Then, we had a saturation of primetime soaps like Dynasty, Dallas, etc. Then we had cop shows, then medical shows. How many versions of CSI do we really need or Law & Order. Well, they are both great shows and there's definitely an audience. So, to each his own.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I agree with Piel and others. Anything you do is what you make of it. Even 'idiot' programming can provoke some deeper thought or show you a different perspective. Beauty & the Geek is an example - the guys usually learn that pretty women are not neccesarily confident and the girls learn to look beyond the physical. There are also plenty of qualilty shows - 30 Days, Prison Break, Lost, etc. Sitcoms bring laughter, etc.

Also, trends are cyclical. 'Reality' tv is what sitcoms were in the late 70's into early 80's. Then, we had a saturation of primetime soaps like Dynasty, Dallas, etc. Then we had cop shows, then medical shows. How many versions of CSI do we really need or Law & Order. Well, they are both great shows and there's definitely an audience. So, to each his own.

That was a great post heyang:agree: