Elvis Says Goodbye to Skating | Golden Skate

Elvis Says Goodbye to Skating

lotusland

On the Ice
At the 17th annual Mariposa Gala, Elvis Stoyko announced tonight's event was his final public skating performance. Seems Elvis has now officially left the building ;)

Good luck to Elvis on the debut of his first CD and in the pursuit of a singing career!

rebtay

Spectator
He was sporting a very short haircut almost shaved. He was wearing his usual costume but he looked like he was not going to do the usual number. It was a great last skate, he skated to "The Show Must Go On" by Queen. A very significant song for him. He got a standing ovation then went over to the MC to speak on the microphone. Then he announced that this was his last skate.

He was very gracious and thanked many people, some that I remember are: the critics (who made him stronger), all of his coaches, the man who sharpens his skates, a family friend who loaned him a car so he could get to practices in the early days, he payed special tribute to his hero, Brian Orser (who was also there), the fans, his friends and family. It was very touching. He received another standing ovation.

There were some charity and award presentations before all of the performers came out for their bows, Elvis bowed last and again there was another standing ovation.

They very often feature a singer in the gala, he might not come back to skate but maybe he'll be the singer!

DSCF3583.jpg

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Say it isn't so!!!! Elvis gave so much to the sport of figure skating and to team Canada. He will always be an inspiration to younger Canadian figure skaters - both male and female. He is a true champion and probably the most focused competitor to ever hit the ice here in Canada. He will be missed in the skating world.

Thanks for this.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll miss Elvis in skating. :cry: He was always one of my favorite men's skaters. I wish him the best in his musical pursuits.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Sad news, since he's one of my all-time favs (I lLOVED his Dragon program...first time I ever saw how sexy men's skating could be...)

I wish him all the luck in the world...

Eeyora

Final Flight
He will be remembered as one who pushed the technical envelope. I loved his show programs.