Thread: Arakawa vs Suguri at the Olympics!

Hybrid View

Banned

Arakawa vs Suguri at the Olympics!

It was interesting at the Olympics Arakawa and Suguri both skated clean short programs, and in the long both did the same performances as far as jump content and mistakes, 5 triples clean and 1 triple popped to a double. Arakawa though smoked Suguri in every aspect of scoring, Jump GOE, spins, footwork, spirals, PCS. This resulted in a gap between them of about 16 total points even with the same jump content and the same mistakes and of course the difference between the easy winner and not being that close to the podium.

I don't, however, think Suguri was mistreated by the judges, in comparison to Arakawa.

Correcting for the mistakes (Fumie's doubled flip and Shizuka's doubled loop), Shizuka is still ahead on jump base values, 42.2 to 40.9. Plus, Shizuka skated beautifully and deserved those high GOEs and PCSs, in my opinion.

Custom Title
    I agree. I do think Fumie was held back a bit in PCS, especially in the SP, but Shiz's spirals, FW, spins and transitions put her apart from the crowd. Had she nailed her 3lutz/3loop in SP (instead she landed a heavy 3lz/2t), she SHOULD have been the leader after the SP. I really like Shiz's programs last year. They did her and COP justice. On the other hand, I was disappointed with Lori's work for Fumie and didn't think they helped her.

Banned
    The interesting thing about Suguri as well is even if she had no mistakes in the short and long both, the scores show that she still would not have won a medal of any color even with the very flawed performances of Cohen and Slutskaya. On the other hand even if Slutskaya had not had her two major errors and been clean, the scores indicate it would have been a virtual tie still for the gold medal between her and Arakawa, even with Arakawa's doubled jump(assuming reasonable gain in PCS/GOE). Cohen without her two major errors would have been ahead, but probably would still have lost then if Arakawa had added the triple she doubled and the triple-triple early on she had been doing in practice. That just gives you a clearer idea how far apart the two were.

Medalist
    Fumie left the building crying in Torino. I felt really bad for her. I wish she would have at least got the bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill508
    Fumie left the building crying in Torino. I felt really bad for her. I wish she would have at least got the bronze.
    That would have been nice for Fumie but she would have had to knock out either Cohen or Slutskaya. I think Slutskaya fans think she should have been second. I think the majority of the viewers think that Cohen's remainder of her program after the two spills compensated for her high scores.

In either case, the judges have the final word, but disagreeing with them is anyone's perogative.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill508
    I agree with this Bill, I felt bad too - but also for Ira, and Sasha even thought she wasn't getting a metal IMO. It was a weird night of scouring IMO with the CoP. I feel a little bit that "Bunniie" (Fumie) was underscored at the SP and that made most of the difference. But I think that her placement was realistic, I just have to accept the scores were the way they were - I still have a hard time getting the new scoring sys, and thanks to some of the posters here I might get it a little better as the new season starts.

Shi-chans LP routine looked to me that her late double was intentional - she knew she didn't need the 3. And as far as spiral and trans, she stood way out as the best that night. If my "Dream Test Baby" (FS) wants to get the gold, more assuredly (regardless of others night and who is there), 3x3, better extension and attitude, and sitspins = a gold for her. Otherwise she will need other aspects to "fall in her favor" plus have a clean skate.

My not so technically or knowledgeable brain would have placed her 3rd for the whole, But I would have had her 3rd after the SP. Her performance in my mind was more "alive" to me - but how many points does that get?
    Her spiral sequence is just not enough to gain a "bonus", particularly if she lacks a 3x3.

I have a feeling she will be taking a strong hold as a leader this year (well in light of the changes in line-up that is fairly obvious) with out the pressures from all sides that have been on the skaters taking that role before her. I think Miki has more exterior pressure, and Kimmie from the US. Fumie biggest issue I believe this year will be the pressure from herself to become that tinny bit better, and If she does it will be golds and I have a prediction of Gold for the GP in the final.