Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Arakawa vs Suguri at the Olympics!

Custom Title
    The problem for Fumie is skating a clean FS. She apparently did it at Japanese Nationals, but was not clean at Torino and Worlds.

The pressure will be heavy on the Japanese skaters at Worlds this year in Tokyo, which means the pressure will be on them from the first time they set foot on the ice this coming season. EVERY competition will help to determine which three (of Mao, Fumie, Yukari, Miki, Yoshie) get to skate in Tokyo . It seems as if Miki is the one on the bubble. She has a lot to prove, after her disastrous 2005-2006 season.

Banned
    I actually assumed Yoshie would retire but I heard nothing of it so she must not have. I really think you will have Asada and Suguri as the top two Japanese women at Nationals next year, although probably in that order; and then you will have Ando and Nakano fighting for the 3rd spot. I would be surprised to see Onda really in there for 3rd spot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    MKFSfan - You seem to be a big fan of Fumie. I like her too, but when comparing her to another skater, how much are your fan feelings involved?
    Joe
    You bring up important questions. It's hard to weigh a veteran with years of experience, against an up and coming skater. Experience and maturity gives Fumie an advantage. Like I said, I believe Fumie is a strong basic skater and she can have good spins, decent spirals. Yes, she lacks a 3/3, but her technique on jumps, minus the problematic loop and a flutz, is pretty good, nice height, air positions and landing flow. I love her flip. Kimmie has good technique, too, and she's worked hard to bring her spins and spirals up to par. I personally find Fumie more appealing to watch and that her flow over the ice, speed and freedom of movement is better than Kimmie's at this point. Kimmie still needs to mature and get past this somewhat awkward stage she went through this year (which, IMO, showed vast improvement from the season before.) However, if both are clean and Kimmie lands her 3/3's, 7 triple program, I know Kimmie will beat Fumie on technical mark. A 3/3 less Kimmie at both Olympics SP/LP and Worlds SP, was beaten by Fumie (both girls had mistakes, neither perfectly clean.)

I think both have enormous support from their federations, and we have seen Fumie can perform under pressure/expectations. This year we find out about Kimmie and her rumored "nerves of steel." The reason I say rumored-after a fantastic Sr. debut at 2005 Nats, she had a very poor showing at Jr.Worlds, placing 4th, then she got a VERY slow start last fall, many mistakes, but bounced back to have a rather good showing at Nationals, despite being ill. She followed that up with a good Olympics, and a GREAT Worlds. I hope the momentum carries over for her, because without Sasha and Michelle, the spotlight falls squarely on Kimmie.

The spotlight on the new girl on the block. that's what we are all waiting to see. really nothing to do with Fumie who can stand on her laurels but she too had a couple of bad seasons there for a while. No one is perfect all the time except Dick Button.

Joe

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    The problem for Fumie is skating a clean FS. She apparently did it at Japanese Nationals, but was not clean at Torino and Worlds.
    I thought she went clean in the FS at the Olympics?

Custom Title
    At Torino, Fumie doubled the flip in her 3F2T combination and got negative GOE on her 3T and on the 2A2T combination. She didn't fall like Sasha and Irina, but her performance was not clean.

Down With It
    ah, thanks for the clarification. With so many people falling, it was kind of hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I thought she went clean in the FS at the Olympics?
    I guess that depends on what is meant "specifically" by "clean."

Dick complained / commented on her extensions and quality of spins. Lines coming out of jumps - which I guess I can see because she lands so lightly that the edge doesn't just "force a line out" - JAT.

Anyhoo, OLYs 06 - had to pull out the back up in full size on the TV, and it appears chuckm is on the money.
    LP
    •3/2 clean
    •3 clean
    •2 "cleanish" but 'spose to be a triple eh?
    •dropped off edges going into the comb spin from camel pos and dropping to catch foot quite a bit
    •3 AWESOME HIGH! Great edge out
    •2/2 good edge out
    •3t struggled on the landing just a touch
    •2/2 but used 1/4 cheat both and was "woobley" on the edges
    •spin clean no travel ("attitude" needs)
    •foot work clean but not the flare like in her Jupiter program or the SP
    •combo spin traveled a foot or so and switched legs and traveled back
    •The final position of that had 6' travel
    And with more review I think there were some speed issues. I need to keep the "Fumie goggles" off.

SP - was awesome IMO - No change but I think I missed something?
    •3l2t clean
    •3f clean with great speed
    •2a was a perfect into into a combo spin with little travel - some to start (but out of a 2a I think acceptable)
    •Some good footwork with great expression (Gave that smile that melts me little heart ) and kept the rhythm almost ever step and beat better then most ever have / can. IMO
    •last combo was nice but it slowed down and a little travel.
    Steady edges throughout
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 08-12-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Whatched again in full size and stepped through the jumps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2