Rosters are up | Golden Skate

Rosters are up

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I did a little "study" of the rosters and felt rather surprised about the events for Russian male singles skaters.

Here in Trophee Eric Bombard there will be 3 Russian skaters: Dobrin, Griazev and Klimkin. These same three skaters are also competing in Cup of Russia. That is rather strange, isn´t it? On the other hand Voronov (Skate America + Skate Canada) and Uspenski (Cup of China + NHK) are fortunate to be able to compete without another Russian skater in the same event.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did a little "study" of the rosters and felt rather surprised about the events for Russian male singles skaters.

Here in Trophee Eric Bombard there will be 3 Russian skaters: Dobrin, Griazev and Klimkin. These same three skaters are also competing in Cup of Russia. That is rather strange, isn´t it? On the other hand Voronov (Skate America + Skate Canada) and Uspenski (Cup of China + NHK) are fortunate to be able to compete without another Russian skater in the same event.

Other interesting facts about TEB:
MEN: There are 3 Canadian men, 3 Russian men and 2 Japanese men in addition to the 3 French men. But no US or Chinese man.

LADIES: No Chinese or Russian lady.

PAIRS: One Chinese Pair (a new team that competed just once before, at 2006 4CC) and one US Pair. However, there seems to be confusion as to the federation of the new team ARASLANOVA / BLANCHARD. According to the ENTRIES tables, they compete for France, but based on the Roster and the BIO, they compete for Russia.

ICE DANCE: 2 Canadian teams, 2 Italian teams, 1 Chinese team, but no US team.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I'll be at Skate America and I will be interested in seeing Urmanov's protege: Sergei Voronov.

Joe

That is great for you to see the event live, Joe! I like Voronov´s skating a lot and am very happy for the GP events he got. Urmanov has been his coach for many years. I hope that Voronov skates well enough to be included in the broadcast, although even in that case it is not a sure thing. Excellent performances by foreign skaters (and sometimes even by US skaters) have been chacked on US TV.

Last edited:
So true, Jaana. One never knows what kind of editing ABC/ESPN do to competitions and I don't think Peggy and Dick are forceful enough to make them do better.

Joe

Alsace

On the Ice
So, is Doug Wilson (??) still at ABC? Didn't he win an award for revolutionizing the broadcasting of skating? We all gripe about their coverage, so why did they win an award?

4dogknight

Final Flight
As of 8-29 ISU Ice Dance entries roster on ISU:

Anastasia Gorshkova / Ilia Tkchenko (RUS) have withdrawn from this and NHK competitions because they have retired.

No replacements announced as of this date.

4dogknight

Final Flight
9-6-06 ISU Ice Dance entries roster on ISU:

Replacement for Anastasia Gorshkova / Ilia Tkchenko (RUS) are posted for this event and NHK.

TEBC - Luke and Laura Munana (MEX)
This is the second GP assignment for this pair. They placed 10th in the 2005-2006 Skate America.

NHK - Fan Yang / Chongbo Gao (CHN)
This is the pair's first GP assignment. Anyone have further information about this team?

4dk

So, is Doug Wilson (??) still at ABC? Didn't he win an award for revolutionizing the broadcasting of skating? We all gripe about their coverage, so why did they win an award?
I guess the people who give out awards don't care whether we gripe or not. ;)

As far as I know, Wilson is still in charge. He was inducted into the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 2003. Here's a list of his many accomplishments, ickuding 17 emmys, according to USFS (scroll down):

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=905

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Rebecca Hande / Daniel Wende (GER) who have withdrawn from the GP series.

Rebecca had foot surgery in March and Late August. Since a full recovery is very important they aren't even sure if they can get 100% ready for Nationals in early January. But fingers cross they will be.

nymkfan51

Medalist
This seems to be the latest roster from the isu site:
(it's strange to see no U.S. men or ice dance teams)

Ladies Entries

1 Sonia RADEVA BUL
2 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN
3 Susanna PÖYKIÖ FIN
4 Nadege BOBILLIER FRA
5 Anne Sophie CALVEZ FRA
6 Candice DIDIER FRA
7 Valentina MARCHEI ITA
8 Miki ANDO JPN
9 Yu-Na KIM KOR
10 Kimmie MEISSNER USA
11 Christine ZUKOWSKI USA

Mens Entries

1 Patrick CHAN CAN
2 Shawn SAWYER CAN
3 Xiaodong MA CHN
4 Samuel CONTESTI FRA
5 Brian JOUBERT FRA
6 Alban PREAUBERT FRA
7 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN
8 Yasuharu NANRI JPN
9 Sergei DOBRIN RUS
10 Andrei GRIAZEV RUS
11 Ilia KLIMKIN RUS
12 Jamal OTHMAN SUI

Pairs Entries

1 Elizabeth PUTNAM / Sean WIRTZ CAN
2 Jiaqi LI / Jiankun XU CHN
3 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN
4 Rinata ARASLANOVA / Jerome BLANCHARD FRA
5 Adeline CANAC / Maxime COIA FRA
6 Dominika PIATKOWSKA / Dmitri KHROMIN POL
7 Julia OBERTAS / Sergei SLAVNOV RUS
8 Maria PETROVA / Alexei TIKHONOV RUS
9 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV UKR
10 Rena INOUE / John BALDWIN USA

Ice Dancing Entries

1 Anastasia GREBENKINA / Vazgen AZROJAN ARM
2 Albena DENKOVA / Maxim STAVISKI BUL
3 Allie HANN-McCURDY / Michael CORENO CAN
4 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN
5 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG CHN
6 Pernelle CARRON / Mathieu JOST FRA
7 Isabelle DELOBEL / Olivier SCHOENFELDER FRA
8 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA
9 Nora HOFFMANN / Attila ELEK HUN
10 Zsuzsanna NAGY / György ELEK HUN
11 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA
12 Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI ITA

Last edited:
The ladies podium will be crowded with Ando, Meissner, Kim and Rochette.

Yu-na Kim, with "only" a bronze needs a strong placement to make the final. At this point not only are Miki, Kimmie and Joannie ahead of her in points, but also Fumie Suguri and Yukari Nakano, with their second event still to come. Mao Asada is leading Kim on the tie-breaker, and even the surprising Julia Sebastyen could score well enough in Cup of Russia to get in -- wouldn't that be something!

This is the best Grand Prizx series in years, since all the top skaters are participating (not counting a possible return to action by Plushenko or Cohen ).

rain

Record Breaker
The ladies podium will be crowded with Ando, Meissner, Kim and Rochette.

Yu-na Kim, with "only" a bronze needs a strong placement to make the final. At this point not only are Miki, Kimmie and Joannie ahead of her in points, but also Fumie Suguri and Yukari Nakano, with their second event still to come. Mao Asada is leading Kim on the tie-breaker, and even the surprising Julia Sebastyen could score well enough in Cup of Russia to get in -- wouldn't that be something!

Could make once again for a slightly disappointing final, given that some of the event fields, such as this one for ladies, are so stacked, while others are, to put it gently, thin. It's not as much fun when you know one of the best isn't in the line-up. I think Miki and Kimmie are the most likely to be on the podium somewhere, with Joannie and Kim total wildcards who could pull anything from first to fourth. I expect this to be a real test of how well Miki can keep up her positive momentum.

In the pairs field, this looks like the most interesting line-up to date, with Zhang and Zhang (who I expect to win) up against the Russians. Man, I really need some new pairs to cheer for.

Joubert SHOULD cruise to a win in the men's field, which doesn't look that impressive, but he was very inconsistent last year so.....

Dance should also be interesting. I expect Denkova and Staviski to win it, but it will be interesting to see how close the marks are with Delobel and Schoenfelder. Will also be interesting to see if Virtue and Moir can repeat with another great showing like at SC with F/S again in the field.

lanadd

On the Ice
Dance should also be interesting. I expect Denkova and Staviski to win it, but it will be interesting to see how close the marks are with Delobel and Schoenfelder. Will also be interesting to see if Virtue and Moir can repeat with another great showing like at SC with F/S again in the field.

I also expect Denkova/Staviski to win, even Del/Sch having the advantage to skate at home. I find the programs(OD&FD) of Den/Sta better than the ones of Del/Sch

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Regarding TEB, expect both Miki and Kimmie to do well. YuNa is still inexperienced in senior circuit (well, this is her first yr in the sr. GPS, obviously) and in her words following Sk. Can. she's still coping with her late summer injuries. Joannie is unpredictable, but she tends to de better on American/Canadian soil, but at her best she doesn't stack up to Kimmie's and Miki's degree of difficulty (and if YuNa skates at her technical best, she can outskate all or most of these ladies, given that YuNa's 3flip/3toe is consistent and that bodes well for her in the SP). Kimmie may still have some ankle pain from 3axel attempts which she gladly has cut down on (at least for the moment), and thank God she'll have over 1month after TEB to help her ankle recover (glad it ain't a fracture/hip/groin injury which take much longer to heal). Miki has the most difficult SP technical content but Kimmie can match/outscore her (w/ two 3/3s) in the FS, so it will come down to who lands the most triples overall.
I hope YuNa kicks Joannie's flamenco *** b/c JR's new LP isn't as convincing as her LPs from the past 2 seasons, plus JR's spins and spirals are UGLY, even worse than Miki (at least in terms of spins).

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree about Kimmie and the 3A ... better she plays it safe and not go for it. Why push the envelope when you don't have to. No one else is landing it right now, so it's a safe and smart decision to make.

(Very good analysis, Rain}

Too bad about the WD of Carolina. While I am not impressed with Sukowski, she does seem to medal, so she is the dark horse.

Sad, this comp has to determine the entrants for the GPF.

On he Men's side it is up to Joubert to prove himself in his home country, something that he has been unable to do in the past. I'm going for Preaubert to tear the house down in his home country and be on the podium. I haven't given up on Klimkin but time is running out.... hope, hope, hope.

Will Li /Xu be the new team on the block to get everyone talking???
Several teams listed for the podium. Can't really pick the podium.

A battle between the D&S v. D&S. Pick you choice. 3rd place.????

Joe