Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rosters are up

Custom Title

Rosters are up

Last edited by Jaana; 08-11-2006 at 02:41 AM.

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    excited to see delobel and schoenfelder! bonne chance to them!

Hey, 1795, welcome to Golden Skate and thanks for posting.

So, who is your favorite dance team?

Mathman

I'm looking forward to the Dance, such a strong field.

Good Luck to the Kerrs, I'm sure they'll skate much better than at SA.

I'm predicting a DelSchoes win!
    [Even though I'm sure that Belgosto will have improved since CoC].

I love Dom Shabs' CDs, but I didn't really care for the FD at CoC, though their OD is good.

Exciting event.....all the way down the field!
    Last edited by La Rhumba; 11-21-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    I'm looking forward to the Dance, such a strong field.

Good Luck to the Kerrs, I'm sure they'll skate much better than at SA.
    The Kerrs, unfortunately got stuck with an outrageous attempt to portray the suppresed people of America and in a Hollywood version of what happens to people who do not obey the ruling class.

The Kerrs have so much more talent than to be subjected to that.

Joe

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    OK, I'm new to ice-dancing so maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any politics in that Indian dance. I thought their getup was quite attractive, in the same fluttering-rag style as everyone else.

Custom Title
    Didn't the Kerrs realize that Native American themes don't go over well with the European judges, who dominate all judging panels? Dubreuil/Lauzon did one a couple of years ago (Patrice, I believe, is part Native) and it went over with a resounding thud.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The Kerrs, unfortunately got stuck with an outrageous attempt to portray the suppresed people of America and in a Hollywood version of what happens to people who do not obey the ruling class.

Joe
    That's the funniest thing I've read for ages!

That's like saying Bourne & Kraatz's Riverdance FD was "an attempt to portray" the Potato Famine!

Actually, the truth of the matter is they didn't "get stuck" with anything, they chose the Music to "Last of The Mohicans" and choreographed the Dance themselves, after previously using this theme [choreo'd by the Duchesnay's] in 2000 when they first teamed up.

As to chuckm's point:
    Didn't the Kerrs realize that Native American themes don't go over well with the European judges, who dominate all judging panels? Dubreuil/Lauzon did one a couple of years ago (Patrice, I believe, is part Native) and it went over with a resounding thud.
    The Beier's had a similar theme 2 seasons ago, and not only was it a very good dance, well interpreted, but it went down well with the Judges too.

BTW there's a whole wide world out there, and people, whether it be in Skating or otherwise, see things very diferently.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

Joe
    Presumably this comment means you assume that Platov is responsible?

Just to confirm, Platov choreo'd their OD this season, but not the FD [inspite of what you may've read elsewhere].

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    OK, I'm new to ice-dancing so maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any politics in that Indian dance. I thought their getup was quite attractive, in the same fluttering-rag style as everyone else.
    You're quite right, that's because there was none. It was simply icedancing to music from the film "Last of The Mohicans".

With so many elements required by CoP, where practically every second of the 4minutes of an FD is taken up now with counting twizzles and the duration of a lift etc. who really has the time and space to create a *Political Theme* anymore, or actually choreograph a Free dance?

Custom Title
    I'm going to go with Delobel/ Schoenfelder for the dance win here. They virtually tied Denk/Stav in the FD at their last comp. I think Dom/Shab have the home-rink advantage, plus having beat Belbin/Agosto already this season, so I'm looking at the Russians for silver. Who knows how different B/A may look at this comp. though after their wake-up call at their other Grand Prix.

In mens the momentum is with Joubert to win it. Sandhu and Weir are both totally unpredictable, but should be able to get to the podium. On the other hand one or both could implode, and I wouldn't count out the likes of Klimkin, Dobrin or even Verner if that happens.

In ladies the field is also unpredictable. Volchova is a totally dark horse, but could take this field. Sokolova is another who is at times brilliant on jumps and or alternately terrible. Czisny looked good at Skate Canada and has the best spins and spirals if she can hold her jumps together reasonably well. Sebestyen, with one win under her belt, is no doubt hungry to get to the GPF, but I think a lot depends on how the other women skate. Sarah Meier was also impressive in her first GP and could spoil, as could Yoshie Onda who had a great FS at Skate Canada, and has markedly improved some areas of her skating. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Czinsy to win.

I think this is S/S's to lose, given their momentum from last year. P/T are always reliable performers and could very well take gold as well, but they've never been an exciting pair. The two Canadian pairs could both end up on the podium, or both off of it. The Suideks are also pretty consistent. I'd guess the Polish team and the Canadians are fighting for the bronze.

Custom Title
    Has anyone seen Volchkova skate recently?

Custom Title
    A very difficult competition to predict the podium, especially in men and ladies! On the podium could be any of these skaters (in no particular order)

- Men: Klimkin, Dobrin, Joubert, Verner, Sandhu and Weir

- Ladies: Korpi, Sebestyen, Onda, Meier and Czisny. Maybe also Sokolova or Volchkova?

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    The costumes were quite Hollywoood. The only thing missing was a teepee for them to emerge to the strains of the Indian Love Call.

All joking aside, they skated well, but the concept is not appealing for an international audience and me.

Joe

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast