Rosters are up | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rosters are up

lanadd

On the Ice
For some reason, Mozart (the world's second greatest composer after Haydn :rock: ) is hardly ever used for figure skating. And Haydn never is. (Fumie did Eine Kleine Nachtmusik a couple of years ago -- right after she did Bach's Toccata and Fugue, steadily working her way through Lori's Nichol's list of the twenty most famous classical tunes, LOL.)

Instead, skating coaches and choreographers go for the romantic era -- Tchaikovsky and those guys. Loud, majestic themes, swelling crescendos, that sort of thing. Easy to "interpret."

I wish someone would try the Haydn quartets opus 76. But I think that would prove an impossible choreographic challenge.

Something can be great listening music but awful figure skating music.

We were talking about the music. And i don't think that Haydn is greater! However who said that it is awful skating music? Are you speaking only for yourself, or you're representing the world opinion?:chorus: :chorus: And if a music is a masterpiece it will be like this no matter where it is used. Watching the GP's so far, looks that i am right:chorus:

rain

Record Breaker
You see thats what is ok to say-i don't like it its not my taste ect ect,Nobody wants you to like it. But who are you to define the music of Mozart as awlful- it is just silly and ridiculous

Apparently, you want me to like it. And I can say whatever I like about whatever music I want. Who am I? I'm someone sitting in the audience listenting to it. Further, at no time did I ever, nor would I, define Mozart's music as awful. I said the particular Mozart cut one particular dance team is using this year is awful. Frankly, I thought the "in my opinion" went without saying.

lanadd

On the Ice
So far said:
That what you've said. No,i really don't care if you don't like it. And a lot of people won't like it- because it is not just a popular easylistening song.And i suppose not easy for choreographing also. Just dont put a label on it, especially when it is bad and when it is concerning the art of someone called Mozart. Thats all. I hope that now i made my point finally clear

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the music DenSta are using; it's the Seven Deadly Sin theme they've juxtaposed on it that I'm not crazy about. But I think their performance of this FD is a masterpiece and they are well on their way to defend their World Championship. Nothing any of the other dance teams can do is going to top it. :)

D/L's FD is a second-rate, saccharine retread of last year's, B/A's is a mess and not up to their talent, and DelShoes's FD is meh (Bonnie and Clyde?). The FD I liked best (aside from Den/Sta's) is Gregory/Petukhov's.

Last edited:

lanadd

On the Ice
I like the music DenSta are using; it's the Seven Deadly Sin theme they've juxtaposed on it that I'm not crazy about. But I think their performance of this FD is a masterpiece and they are well on their way to defend their World Championship. Nothing any of the other dance teams can do is going to top it. :)

D/L's FD is a second-rate, saccharine retread of last year's, B/A's is a mess and not up to their talent, and DelShoes's FD is meh (Bonnie and Clyde?). The FD I liked best (aside from Den/Sta's) is Gregory/Petukhov's.

Yes Chuckm, and probably that's what bothers some people. But thats understandable

Haydn is greater because he originated of all the ideas that Mozart used. (Haydn himself said that Mozart was far greater than he -- but what did Haydn know, that's just one person's opinion! ;) )

OTOH, I don't think that anyone would disagree with the possibility that a song might be good to listen to but hard to skate to.

lanadd

On the Ice

But actually my second favourite FD is the one of Del/S.Yes the idea is a bit strange, but the program suits their style very well. I have them for silver at Euros and Worlds. About the FD of D/L - is this some kind of joke and they will probably pull out their real FD at Worlds?:) Even their strongest part- the lifts- are from past years! And about the FD of B/A i don't know even what to say:sheesh: :sheesh:

lanadd

On the Ice
Haydn is greater because he originated of all the ideas that Mozart used. (Haydn himself said that Mozart was far greater than he -- but what did Haydn know, that's just one person's opinion! ;) )

OTOH, I don't think that anyone would disagree with the possibility that a song might be good to listen to but hard to skate to.

Yes this is absolutely hard not only to skate but also to choreographe i suppose. And because they didn't went for something easy and cheese, thats why i admire them as well as their couches!
:clap:

Something can be great listening music but awful figure skating music.
I want to post on The Edge a new topic regarding Music to Skate to which I think its time has come, but not until after the GPF. I hope it is a serious discussion and I don't want the GPs to get in the way.

We're getting back to back Carmen's this season and all those other tunes that have already been won by others. Personally I think figure skating has a limitation on music, especially competitive skating.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You see thats what is ok to say-i don't like it its not my taste ect ect,Nobody wants you to like it. But who are you to define the music of Mozart as awlful- it is just silly and ridiculous

just as calling a composers music 'awful' so is calling someone on their opinion because you just feel they must not know they were talking about... except for the fact that one is an opinion (rain's) and one is just outright false (your comment on rain never hearing the music before)

hate to rain on anyone's parade, but one man's mozart is another man's crap(oh and just in case this is somehow thought to be my way of saying Mozart is crap, get over it I enjoy listening to his compositions once in a while, but being a brass player I don't listen to it much)... get over it and move on.

Hey Tone, as a wind player you owe it to yourself to check out Mozart's Serenade #11in E-flat, for horn, flute, clarinet, oboe and bassoon, especially the third movement. :love: Then try the horn concertos, especially #1 and 4. :cool:

rain

Record Breaker
That what you've said. No,i really don't care if you don't like it. And a lot of people won't like it- because it is not just a popular easylistening song.And i suppose not easy for choreographing also. Just dont put a label on it, especially when it is bad and when it is concerning the art of someone called Mozart. Thats all. I hope that now i made my point finally clear

I'm perfectly well aware of what I posted. And I reiterate my right to say whatever I like about whatever music I like. To me, the fact that it is Mozart is beside the point. Would it be more palatable to you if I'd said the same about, say, something by Metallica or Dave Brubeck? You make it sound like it's totally off-limits to criticize Mozart. My tastes in music are wide and varied. I like a lot of music that certainly doesn't fall into the category of popular or easy listening, so while that reasoning may apply to some, it doesn't apply to me.

Yes this is absolutely hard not only to skate but also to choreographe i suppose. And because they didn't went for something easy and cheese, thats why i admire them as well as their couches!
:clap:
It is interesting to me that in the first half of Michelle Kwan's carreer she skated to a great variety of relatively unknown music. Taj Mahal, Lyra Angelica, the Red Violin, the Black Swan -- one after another. This was the music that her coach Frank Carroll and her choreographer Lori Nichol chose for her. I got the impression that this music kept pushing Michelle out of her comfort zone, and she was constantly striving to do justice to the music.

After 2002, when she "took control of her own skating," she settled back into old standbys -- Aranjuez, Tosca, Bolero.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hey Tone, as a wind player you owe it to yourself to check out Mozart's Serenade #11in E-flat, for horn, flute, clarinet, oboe and bassoon, especially the third movement. :love: Then try the horn concertos, especially #1 and 4. :cool:

Clarinet *twitch*

no I love those little reed instruments... ;)

I'm pretty sure I've heard it, it's just been a while...

Gericho2004

Rinkside
What steps could B/A take to enhance their FD for this season? Their OD has great potential and could possibly help them hang on to their spot on the world podium, provided that their FD scores are not too low. With the strong FDs of the Bulgarians, French, Canadians, B/A will likely need to gain an advantage in the CD and OD portions in order to make up for their weak FD. What are your thoughts?

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Rain mentioned Dave Brubeck [which I believe Grebenkina & Azroyan are using this season, though I haven't seen it yet] I'd like to see Dance couples using Jazz alot more, especially the technically proficient ones, Jazz lends itself to ice choreo IMO, and is toe tapping and alternately thought provoking all at the same time, depending on the piece. :love:

I don't think that B/A's FD is the disaster that people are making out, it can be worked on and improved, I'm sure, they have the talent to do it. I did think their Rhumba CD at CoC was not as good as DomShabs though, and was deservedly 2nd.

Maria on the AS Board has written a Dance Practice Report:

http://absoluteskating.proboards37....n=display&thread=1161445198&page=7#1164284738

rain

Record Breaker
Rain mentioned Dave Brubeck [which I believe Grebenkina & Azroyan are using this season, though I haven't seen it yet] I'd like to see Dance couples using Jazz alot more, especially the technically proficient ones, Jazz lends itself to ice choreo IMO, and is toe tapping and alternately thought provoking all at the same time, depending on the piece. :love:

One of the very best programmes to jazz I have ever seen was Stannicke Jeannette of France's short program from a few years ago. But jazz does seem to be used infrequently, not just in dance but in all of the other disciplines. I imagine it would be a real challenge to choreograph to.

Saundy

On the Ice
just as calling a composers music 'awful' so is calling someone on their opinion because you just feel they must not know they were talking about... except for the fact that one is an opinion (rain's) and one is just outright false (your comment on rain never hearing the music before)

hate to rain on anyone's parade, but one man's mozart is another man's crap(oh and just in case this is somehow thought to be my way of saying Mozart is crap, get over it I enjoy listening to his compositions once in a while, but being a brass player I don't listen to it much)... get over it and move on.

Agreed. I am a Voice Major in University, a Soprano actually, and I am surrounded by Mozart's wonderful compostions on a daily basis. He has also written some beautiful Soprano pieces.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oooh, Robin Cousins was raving about Stannick! He loved him! :clap:

For singles skaters aswell, Jazz would be great. If I was a skater, I'd dig out those Miles Davis LPs [vinyl ;) ] and bring back those contemplative cross foot spins asap! :love:

http://www.thejazzfiles.com/JazzDavis.html [for the youngsters]. :)

Interesting that Miles Davis has come up. To me, Miles Davis killed jazz in the same way that Beethoven killed classical music. After Davis (Beethoven) spoke, there was nothing left to say in that medium, so music had no choice but to close that chapter and turn in a different direction.

That's (sort of) why I like Haydn and Louis Armstong -- the dawn, not the sunset. :)