Rosters are up | Golden Skate

Rosters are up

Hey, 1795, welcome to Golden Skate and thanks for posting.

So, who is your favorite dance team? ;)

Mathman :)

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm looking forward to the Dance, such a strong field. :rock:

Good Luck to the Kerrs, I'm sure they'll skate much better than at SA. :yes:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm predicting a DelSchoes win! :)
[Even though I'm sure that Belgosto will have improved since CoC]. ;)

I love Dom Shabs' CDs, but I didn't really care for the FD at CoC, though their OD is good.

Exciting event.....all the way down the field!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the Dance, such a strong field. :rock:

Good Luck to the Kerrs, I'm sure they'll skate much better than at SA. :yes:
The Kerrs, unfortunately got stuck with an outrageous attempt to portray the suppresed people of America and in a Hollywood version of what happens to people who do not obey the ruling class.

The Kerrs have so much more talent than to be subjected to that.

Joe

OK, I'm new to ice-dancing so maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any politics in that Indian dance. I thought their getup was quite attractive, in the same fluttering-rag style as everyone else.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't the Kerrs realize that Native American themes don't go over well with the European judges, who dominate all judging panels? Dubreuil/Lauzon did one a couple of years ago (Patrice, I believe, is part Native) and it went over with a resounding thud.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The Kerrs, unfortunately got stuck with an outrageous attempt to portray the suppresed people of America and in a Hollywood version of what happens to people who do not obey the ruling class.

Joe

:rofl: That's the funniest thing I've read for ages! :laugh:

That's like saying Bourne & Kraatz's Riverdance FD was "an attempt to portray" the Potato Famine!

Actually, the truth of the matter is they didn't "get stuck" with anything, they chose the Music to "Last of The Mohicans" and choreographed the Dance themselves, after previously using this theme [choreo'd by the Duchesnay's] in 2000 when they first teamed up.

As to chuckm's point:
Didn't the Kerrs realize that Native American themes don't go over well with the European judges, who dominate all judging panels? Dubreuil/Lauzon did one a couple of years ago (Patrice, I believe, is part Native) and it went over with a resounding thud.

The Beier's had a similar theme 2 seasons ago, and not only was it a very good dance, well interpreted, but it went down well with the Judges too.

BTW there's a whole wide world out there, and people, whether it be in Skating or otherwise, see things very diferently.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Joe

Presumably this comment means you assume that Platov is responsible? :confused:

Just to confirm, Platov choreo'd their OD this season, but not the FD [inspite of what you may've read elsewhere].

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
OK, I'm new to ice-dancing so maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any politics in that Indian dance. I thought their getup was quite attractive, in the same fluttering-rag style as everyone else.

You're quite right, that's because there was none. It was simply icedancing to music from the film "Last of The Mohicans".

With so many elements required by CoP, where practically every second of the 4minutes of an FD is taken up now with counting twizzles and the duration of a lift etc. who really has the time and space to create a *Political Theme* anymore, or actually choreograph a Free dance?

rain

Record Breaker
I'm going to go with Delobel/ Schoenfelder for the dance win here. They virtually tied Denk/Stav in the FD at their last comp. I think Dom/Shab have the home-rink advantage, plus having beat Belbin/Agosto already this season, so I'm looking at the Russians for silver. Who knows how different B/A may look at this comp. though after their wake-up call at their other Grand Prix.

In mens the momentum is with Joubert to win it. Sandhu and Weir are both totally unpredictable, but should be able to get to the podium. On the other hand one or both could implode, and I wouldn't count out the likes of Klimkin, Dobrin or even Verner if that happens.

In ladies the field is also unpredictable. Volchova is a totally dark horse, but could take this field. Sokolova is another who is at times brilliant on jumps and or alternately terrible. Czisny looked good at Skate Canada and has the best spins and spirals if she can hold her jumps together reasonably well. Sebestyen, with one win under her belt, is no doubt hungry to get to the GPF, but I think a lot depends on how the other women skate. Sarah Meier was also impressive in her first GP and could spoil, as could Yoshie Onda who had a great FS at Skate Canada, and has markedly improved some areas of her skating. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Czinsy to win.

I think this is S/S's to lose, given their momentum from last year. P/T are always reliable performers and could very well take gold as well, but they've never been an exciting pair. The two Canadian pairs could both end up on the podium, or both off of it. The Suideks are also pretty consistent. I'd guess the Polish team and the Canadians are fighting for the bronze.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
A very difficult competition to predict the podium, especially in men and ladies! On the podium could be any of these skaters (in no particular order)

- Men: Klimkin, Dobrin, Joubert, Verner, Sandhu and Weir

- Ladies: Korpi, Sebestyen, Onda, Meier and Czisny. Maybe also Sokolova or Volchkova?

The costumes were quite Hollywoood. The only thing missing was a teepee for them to emerge to the strains of the Indian Love Call.

All joking aside, they skated well, but the concept is not appealing for an international audience and me.

Joe

Jaana - Both the Men's and Ladies Singles podium are not obviously predictable. That makes it a good competition.

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
The costumes were quite Hollywoood. The only thing missing was a teepee for them to emerge to the strains of the Indian Love Call.

All joking aside, they skated well, but the concept is not appealing for an international audience and me.

Joe

I didn't find it particularly blatant in its theme, but I did find it dull. Dom/Shab looked like they were trying really, really hard throughout the entire thing, which was not a plus. Sitting here now, I can hardly remember anything distinctive about it.

I didn't like B/A's freedance either, but didn't hate it as much as some here seem to. I thought it was a bit cheesy, and not really a step up for them, but it did have a few nice highlights and wasn't as badly skated as I was anticipating after reading the boards.

So far, my fav freedances this year are Dub/ Lauz, Virtue/Moir (surprised me with such a young pair) and Denk/Stav, in spite of their awful music. Haven't seen Del/Schoen yet.

Edited to add that one of my big beefs with both B/A and Dom/Shab was an overabundance of the woman in the pair yanking her skate to her head in a totally grunt-inspiring effort-ful manner in both spins and lifts. Dom/ Shab in particular need to ditch the psuedo-Biellman position she attempts to hit in their spin because she can't do it properly and it looks hideous.

Last edited:

AliasJohnDoe

Rinkside
I'll be curious to see how close Cappellini/Lanotte come to Matthews/Zavozin and Kerr/Kerr. I like Kerr's "Last of the Mohichans". Belbin/Agosto need to ditch the new Free Dance.

Predictions:1- 3 should finish within 3 points of each other:
1.Delobel/Schoenfelder - prepared.
2.Belbin/Agosto - underprepared, but the stinging loss of CoC will motivate.
3.Domnina/Shabalin - prepared and improved
4.Matthews/Zavozin
5.Kerr/Kerr
6.Cappellini/Lanotte

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Joe

Well, it is icedance Joe. They're not making a documentary. ;)

Unfortunately they skated disappointingly at SA, and can improve alot. I'm sure they will in Russia, and will be better prepared.

If you find it unappealing after one viewing, that's your opinion, but you shouldn't speak for an "international audience" when you are one single, solitary man.