Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rosters are up

Jaana - Both the Men's and Ladies Singles podium are not obviously predictable. That makes it a good competition.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The costumes were quite Hollywoood. The only thing missing was a teepee for them to emerge to the strains of the Indian Love Call.

All joking aside, they skated well, but the concept is not appealing for an international audience and me.

Joe
    I didn't find it particularly blatant in its theme, but I did find it dull. Dom/Shab looked like they were trying really, really hard throughout the entire thing, which was not a plus. Sitting here now, I can hardly remember anything distinctive about it.

I didn't like B/A's freedance either, but didn't hate it as much as some here seem to. I thought it was a bit cheesy, and not really a step up for them, but it did have a few nice highlights and wasn't as badly skated as I was anticipating after reading the boards.

So far, my fav freedances this year are Dub/ Lauz, Virtue/Moir (surprised me with such a young pair) and Denk/Stav, in spite of their awful music. Haven't seen Del/Schoen yet.

Edited to add that one of my big beefs with both B/A and Dom/Shab was an overabundance of the woman in the pair yanking her skate to her head in a totally grunt-inspiring effort-ful manner in both spins and lifts. Dom/ Shab in particular need to ditch the psuedo-Biellman position she attempts to hit in their spin because she can't do it properly and it looks hideous.
    Last edited by rain; 11-22-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Tripping on the Podium AliasJohnDoe's Avatar
    I'll be curious to see how close Cappellini/Lanotte come to Matthews/Zavozin and Kerr/Kerr. I like Kerr's "Last of the Mohichans". Belbin/Agosto need to ditch the new Free Dance.

Predictions:1- 3 should finish within 3 points of each other:
    1.Delobel/Schoenfelder - prepared.
    2.Belbin/Agosto - underprepared, but the stinging loss of CoC will motivate.
    3.Domnina/Shabalin - prepared and improved
    4.Matthews/Zavozin
    5.Kerr/Kerr
    6.Cappellini/Lanotte

Thanks for joining us, John Doe. Welcome to the forum.

Mathman

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The costumes were quite Hollywoood. The only thing missing was a teepee for them to emerge to the strains of the Indian Love Call.

All joking aside, they skated well, but the concept is not appealing for an international audience and me.

Joe
    Well, it is icedance Joe. They're not making a documentary.

Unfortunately they skated disappointingly at SA, and can improve alot. I'm sure they will in Russia, and will be better prepared.

If you find it unappealing after one viewing, that's your opinion, but you shouldn't speak for an "international audience" when you are one single, solitary man.

Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    I didn't find it particularly blatant in its theme, but I did find it dull. Dom/Shab looked like they were trying really, really hard throughout the entire thing, which was not a plus. Sitting here now, I can hardly remember anything distinctive about it.
    I'm a bit confused by your comment, as you quoted Joe in your post, who was talking about the Kerrs, is it their FD you found dull?
    Only, they have some pretty spectacular lifts that I wouldn't describe as dull.

So far, my fav freedances this year are Dub/ Lauz, Virtue/Moir (surprised me with such a young pair) and Denk/Stav, in spite of their awful music.
    Lacrimosa by Mozart - gosh! You're hard to please!

Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I'll be curious to see how close Cappellini/Lanotte come to Matthews/Zavozin and Kerr/Kerr. I like Kerr's "Last of the Mohichans".
    Me too! John Kerr comments on that battle and the tough field in this article from Scotland today.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/75010.html

Figure skating: Kerrs set challenging target
    NEIL DRYSDALE November 22 2006

John Kerr said: "This is probably the strongest of the six Grand Prix events, because the opposition includes three of the world's top-five couples and we are targeting a place among the leading four as well as a new personal-best score.
    "We have learned a lot from our experiences in Connecticut, and feel we have ironed out some of the technical issues we faced at that competition."

Oooh! Just seen the forum, great news that Anna will be reporting for us again!

YAY Anna!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Has anyone seen Volchkova skate recently?
    Volchkova participated in a test skate in Russia. She had an abysmal SP, but her FS was decent. She had surgery on her ankle a year ago, and since then she has struggled to get her jumps back. At Euros last year, her SP was good enough to make top 6, but then she was 15th in the FS and dropped to 9th overall, behind the 3 Finnish skaters.

I don't know if a 'decent' FS combined with a bad SP (or vice versa) would be good enough for a medal at this event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Volchkova participated in a test skate in Russia. She had an abysmal SP, but her FS was decent. She had surgery on her ankle a year ago, and since then she has struggled to get her jumps back. At Euros last year, her SP was good enough to make top 6, but then she was 15th in the FS and dropped to 9th overall, behind the 3 Finnish skaters.

I don't know if a 'decent' FS combined with a bad SP (or vice versa) would be good enough for a medal at this event.
    For the sake of reference, what was Volchokova like at her peak? Could she do 4-5 triples like Sebastyen in the long? (With one triple-double combination?)

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    For the sake of reference, what was Volchokova like at her peak? Could she do 4-5 triples like Sebastyen in the long? (With one triple-double combination?)
    Easily. She was a three-time bronze medallist at Europeans, and at DC Worlds she attempted 3Lz/3T (the 3T was double-footed, but the Lutz was beautiful), a nice 3Lo, a huge 3Flip (may have been a lip), gorgeous 3Sa, great 3T, 2Lz (attempted 3Lz), and 2A (fought for the landing.) Her spins were credible at their worst, and she had very nice camel spins. Her spirals were rudimentary, but they weren't awful. At her best, she has as much power, spring, and height as Sebestyen in her jumps. She had a tendency to give up when she missed jumps, though, and her stamina in the last 30 seconds wasn't always the best.

She uses her blade very efficiently, crossing the length of the ice in four crossovers. I think she was robbed in DC, and that in overall quality of skating, should have been 3rd or 4th in the LP, definitely over Suguri who missed a few jumps in a row but finished with fast circular footwork and combo spin, and it would have been reasonable had she beaten Cohen.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    She did beat Cohen once.... I can't remember when, though.

Custom Title
    Vika beat Sasha at Cup of Russia in the 2002-2003 season (Slutskaya was 3rd), the same year she finished 5th at Worlds. But that was the year that she was in Chicago training under Vasiliev. The following season she went back to Russia and her skating seemed to fall apart. She finished 6th at Russian Nationals 2004, and was 15th at Worlds 2004. She has struggled with injury since then.

She is 24 now. You have to wonder if she will ever regain the skills she had as a teenager.

About Worlds 2003: Vika's presentation was never as good as Cohen's, and I don't think she had a shot at beating Sasha in the FS. If she had beaten Fumie, though, all that would have done would be to give Sasha the bronze medal instead of Fumie. Vika would still have finished 5th.

This is how it worked out in 2003:

1 QR 3 SP 4 FS Fumie = 6.2
    3 QR 5 SP 3 FS Sasha = 7.2
    3 QR 5 SP 5 FS Vika = 9.2

If Fumie was 5th in the FS and Vika 4th, it would have been:

3 QR 5 SP 3 FS Sasha = 7.2 Sasha gets bronze
    1 QR 3 SP 5 FS Fumie = 7.2
    3 QR 5 SP 4 FS Vika = 8.2 Vika is still 5th.
    Last edited by chuckm; 11-23-2006 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Vika beat Sasha at Cup of Russia in the 2002-2003 season.
    IIRC that was one of those strange results where the random draw determined the winner. It wasn't CoP yet but the ISU did have the random draw as a feature of the "interim scoring system."

Sasha won on the majority of the judges' cards, but by bad luck (for Sasha) the computer drew the Volchkova judges.

Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    Well, it is icedance
    If you find it unappealing after one viewing, that's your opinion, but you shouldn't speak for an "international audience" when you are one single, solitary man.
    Sorry I offended you. You gave me quite a lashing which I think was unnecessary. You could have just disagreed with me.

I happen to like the Kerrs very much, and would love to see them win the GPF. My comments, indeed, were my own opinions about the costumes.

In speaking about an international audience I was following in the footsteps of other posters who spoke about how Americana does not go over well. They were not the first team to dress up like native Americans, and do poorly. Then, of course, there was poor Michael skating to that medley of Americana in Dortmund.

Joe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast