Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 70

Thread: Rosters are up

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    I'm a bit confused by your comment, as you quoted Joe in your post, who was talking about the Kerrs, is it their FD you found dull?
    Only, they have some pretty spectacular lifts that I wouldn't describe as dull.



    Lacrimosa by Mozart - gosh! You're hard to please!
    I am very surprised when i see commentaries like this. It is Mozart-maybe the greatest compositor of all times!!?? How can anybody describe its music as awlful? Probably not everybody's taste but awlful- thats ridiculous

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by lanadd View Post
    I am very surprised when i see commentaries like this. It is Mozart-maybe the greatest compositor of all times!!?? How can anybody describe its music as awlful? Probably not everybody's taste but awlful- thats ridiculous
    I don't care if it's Mozart or Jimmy Blo from down the corner. The voiceovers? The heavy choir? Is awful. I find it pretentious when people assume everybody, just because a piece is by a great classical composer, (and there is a lot of Mozart I love, by the way) has to fall on their knees and worship. Just like Pride and Prejudice was a great novel while Mansfield Park just would. not. end.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    I'm a bit confused by your comment, as you quoted Joe in your post, who was talking about the Kerrs, is it their FD you found dull?
    Only, they have some pretty spectacular lifts that I wouldn't describe as dull.
    Sorry, got mixed up in my head.... on whose dance was whose. I was talking about Dom/Shab's FD and didn't really mean to use the quote about the Kerrs. Hope that clears up what I meant.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    I don't care if it's Mozart or Jimmy Blo from down the corner. The voiceovers? The heavy choir? Is awful. I find it pretentious when people assume everybody, just because a piece is by a great classical composer, (and there is a lot of Mozart I love, by the way) has to fall on their knees and worship. Just like Pride and Prejudice was a great novel while Mansfield Park just would. not. end.
    I don't think that anybody wants you to fall on their knees.Don't need to be insulting right? Only the words are added- and they are not more then 8 words.Otherwise the music is the requiem. I don't think that 8 words can make such a disaster.

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,576
    Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    I don't care if it's Mozart or Jimmy Blo from down the corner. The voiceovers? The heavy choir? Is awful. I find it pretentious when people assume everybody, just because a piece is by a great classical composer, (and there is a lot of Mozart I love, by the way) has to fall on their knees and worship. Just like Pride and Prejudice was a great novel while Mansfield Park just would. not. end.

    Those of us who are familiar with the Mozart Requiem know that it is a heavily choral work and appreciate it for its merits. Some of us have sung it.

    There is no comparison between Mozart's music and "Valse Triste" or "At Last". Sorry.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Those of us who are familiar with the Mozart Requiem know that it is a heavily choral work and appreciate it for its merits. Some of us have sung it.

    There is no comparison between Mozart's music and "Valse Triste" or "At Last". Sorry.
    Obviously some of us don't have idea(i mean Rain) what the Mozart' requiem is, but still trying to define it as "awlful" even i am sure he/she hasn't heard it.
    And yes, there is no place of comparison- the one is classical and the other- pop music

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Those of us who are familiar with the Mozart Requiem know that it is a heavily choral work and appreciate it for its merits. Some of us have sung it.

    There is no comparison between Mozart's music and "Valse Triste" or "At Last". Sorry.
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. As I am entitled to not like Mozart's Requiem. It's hardly some kind of blasphemy. I do prefer both Valse Triste (a classical waltz) and At Last, a schmaltzy (in the best way) pop tune from the mid-1900s. Just different tastes. One is not better, worse, or more sophisticated.

    Obviously some of us don't have idea(i mean Rain) what the Mozart' requiem is, but still trying to define it as "awlful" even i am sure he/she hasn't heard it.
    And yes, there is no place of comparison- the one is classical and the other- pop music
    I do know what the Mozart Requiem is and I have heard it. I simply don't care for it, and don't appreciate the implication that just because I don't happen to agree with you I don't know what I'm talking about. I happen to like a lot of Mozart, just not particularly this piece, and I really don't like the music cut (with the voiceover) that Denk/Stav have chosen. Maybe it will grow on me as the season goes. Maybe not.

    As for comparing different styles of music, that's always hard. Apples and oranges. Even comparing within categories is difficult and largely comes down to taste: do you like it or not.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,576
    No, it's more that Mozart's "Requiem" is a masterpiece. I have heard it sung in its entirety and have sung parts of it as a member of a chorale.

    "Valse Triste" is a lovely piece of light music by the serious composer Sibelius, but it is not a masterpiece. "At Last" is a popular song.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. As I am entitled to not like Mozart's Requiem. It's hardly some kind of blasphemy. I do prefer both Valse Triste (a classical waltz) and At Last, a schmaltzy (in the best way) pop tune from the mid-1900s. Just different tastes. One is not better, worse, or more sophisticated.
    You see thats what is ok to say-i don't like it its not my taste ect ect,Nobody wants you to like it. But who are you to define the music of Mozart as awlful- it is just silly and ridiculous
    Last edited by lanadd; 11-23-2006 at 12:48 PM.

  10. #40
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,348
    For some reason, Mozart (the world's second greatest composer after Haydn ) is hardly ever used for figure skating. And Haydn never is. (Fumie did Eine Kleine Nachtmusik a couple of years ago -- right after she did Bach's Toccata and Fugue, steadily working her way through Lori's Nichol's list of the twenty most famous classical tunes, LOL.)

    Instead, skating coaches and choreographers go for the romantic era -- Tchaikovsky and those guys. Loud, majestic themes, swelling crescendos, that sort of thing. Easy to "interpret."

    I wish someone would try the Haydn quartets opus 76. But I think that would prove an impossible choreographic challenge.

    Something can be great listening music but awful figure skating music.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    For some reason, Mozart (the world's second greatest composer after Haydn ) is hardly ever used for figure skating. And Haydn never is. (Fumie did Eine Kleine Nachtmusik a couple of years ago -- right after she did Bach's Toccata and Fugue, steadily working her way through Lori's Nichol's list of the twenty most famous classical tunes, LOL.)

    Instead, skating coaches and choreographers go for the romantic era -- Tchaikovsky and those guys. Loud, majestic themes, swelling crescendos, that sort of thing. Easy to "interpret."

    I wish someone would try the Haydn quartets opus 76. But I think that would prove an impossible choreographic challenge.

    Something can be great listening music but awful figure skating music.
    We were talking about the music. And i don't think that Haydn is greater! However who said that it is awful skating music? Are you speaking only for yourself, or you're representing the world opinion?:chorus: :chorus: And if a music is a masterpiece it will be like this no matter where it is used. Watching the GP's so far, looks that i am right:chorus:

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by lanadd View Post
    You see thats what is ok to say-i don't like it its not my taste ect ect,Nobody wants you to like it. But who are you to define the music of Mozart as awlful- it is just silly and ridiculous
    Apparently, you want me to like it. And I can say whatever I like about whatever music I want. Who am I? I'm someone sitting in the audience listenting to it. Further, at no time did I ever, nor would I, define Mozart's music as awful. I said the particular Mozart cut one particular dance team is using this year is awful. Frankly, I thought the "in my opinion" went without saying.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    117
    [QUOTE=
    So far, my fav freedances this year are Dub/ Lauz, Virtue/Moir (surprised me with such a young pair) and Denk/Stav, in spite of their awful music. Haven't seen Del/Schoen yet.
    [/QUOTE]

    That what you've said. No,i really don't care if you don't like it. And a lot of people won't like it- because it is not just a popular easylistening song.And i suppose not easy for choreographing also. Just dont put a label on it, especially when it is bad and when it is concerning the art of someone called Mozart. Thats all. I hope that now i made my point finally clear

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,576
    I like the music DenSta are using; it's the Seven Deadly Sin theme they've juxtaposed on it that I'm not crazy about. But I think their performance of this FD is a masterpiece and they are well on their way to defend their World Championship. Nothing any of the other dance teams can do is going to top it.

    D/L's FD is a second-rate, saccharine retread of last year's, B/A's is a mess and not up to their talent, and DelShoes's FD is meh (Bonnie and Clyde?). The FD I liked best (aside from Den/Sta's) is Gregory/Petukhov's.
    Last edited by chuckm; 11-23-2006 at 01:30 PM.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I like the music DenSta are using; it's the Seven Deadly Sin theme they've juxtaposed on it that I'm not crazy about. But I think their performance of this FD is a masterpiece and they are well on their way to defend their World Championship. Nothing any of the other dance teams can do is going to top it.

    D/L's FD is a second-rate, saccharine retread of last year's, B/A's is a mess and not up to their talent, and DelShoes's FD is meh (Bonnie and Clyde?). The FD I liked best (aside from Den/Sta's) is Gregory/Petukhov's.
    Yes Chuckm, and probably that's what bothers some people. But thats understandable

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •