Sasha's acting being taken seriously | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha's acting being taken seriously

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
yeah...when you are someone like Kwan you get held to your own standard. Compared to everyone else she was fine, I suppose, but it was really sub-par by her standard.

However, she could have AVOIDED or at least MINIMIZED this situation by at least committing to a GP event or two. Even one could have made the difference. But what's done is done.

Unless, of course, she couldn't do one later on. However, I also think that if U.S. Nats had used the Cop system in 05 that could have been beneficial to her (or maybe not so much, like they did MAJOR propping of Cohen's scores in 06 even though she stumbled TWICE- but still deserved the overall win).

I think the whole issue about Michelle's back preventing her from doing laybacks is whether she could have avoided or minimized the situation. If I recall correctly, once MK opted out of SA and SC, she couldn't get later events. If the whole purpose of doing the GP is to get some idea of whether a specific spin was a level 2 or level 3 (level 4 didn't exist at that time), and you can't do the spin at that time, then doing the GP doesn't help any.

I also think, though, MK's failure to do the GP events had little, if anything, to do with her showing at Worlds -- Sasha also dropped out (she was injured) but she did do well in Moscow. I think that MK's biggest problem was her constant re-doing of her program.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For people who can't get the page to load, try turning off your pop-up blocker.

The odd thing is that while it didn't work for me before, it's working for me now...on the same browser, and without restarting.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also think, though, MK's failure to do the GP events had little, if anything, to do with her showing at Worlds -- Sasha also dropped out (she was injured) but she did do well in Moscow. I think that MK's biggest problem was her constant re-doing of her program.

One also has to keep in mind that Cohen had prior Cop experience, while Kwan had none at all- maybe the advice of some guru, but that's about it, and we know already that "it don't mean nothing" unless you "just do it".

Everything probably caved in at one point for Kwan: injury potential, "constant re-doing of her program", not doing enough competitions (under the Cop), etc.

Actually, the article does not contain much new information about the direction that Sasha's acting and/or skating career might take. She hob-nobbed with celebrities, and she got a part in the horse-riding movie.

Michael Damien was "blown away" by her natural talent (but then, he has a movie to promote), and agents are beating a path to her door.

Well, it's a start. Good for her. :yes:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Actually, the article does not contain much new information about the direction that Sasha's acting and/or skating

True, the only real comments there were..
in the article said:
But Cohen insists she still loves the sport and intends on competing in the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think it's clear Sasha is keeping all her options open, which is wise. Much like with Sarah, it sounds like she is keeping one foot in the door to the skating world, where all her success/fame have been. I think if she does continue with this acting career, we won't see her eligible again, Vancouver 2010 or otherwise. Sarah has been/is doing the same thing. I believe it's partly a comfort thing, it's what they've done their whole lives, and a PR thing, keeps people hanging on.

Michelle may have been giving the same "one day at a time" song and dance for 4 years, but she also has not pursued other interests. Recently, we've been hearing rumblings of college in Denver or UCLA, but all she's been involved in are COI and fullfilling endorsement committments, as well as rehabbing, so she's still eating, sleeping, living skating.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
it's what they've done their whole lives, and a PR thing, keeps people hanging on.

Exactly. Didn't think Hughes was coming back, and don't think Cohen (or Kwan for that matter) will be back.

babyoscar

On the Ice
Sasha

back in Feb 2006 around the time where Oly was going on, one of the producer/director/one of those top people came on the LA local news saying that Sasha has talent, and he has no doubt Sasha will be good or maybe he said do well in the hollywood business. i don't remember exactly what he said, but that little comment stick out because it was way before Sasha expressed interest in acting, it was even before sasha got the silver at oly, and the fact the guy said it on the news.

Lonewolf

On the Ice
I think it's clear Sasha is keeping all her options open, which is wise.

I think we will know more about Sasha's future once COI is complete as well as a well deserved vacation. I believe that once she has had this break, she will have a much clearer direction to follow, whether it is skating, acting or both. In the end, time will tell....

I think Sasha will be closely watching Mao, Ya nu, and Kimmie during the GPs and ask herself if it is worth putting herself to the grind. At the same time the release of that movie, if it brings any sort of acclaim, will also be a decisive factor in her future.

Of course, all this is speculation.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think it's clear Sasha is keeping all her options open, which is wise. Much like with Sarah, it sounds like she is keeping one foot in the door to the skating world, where all her success/fame have been. I think if she does continue with this acting career, we won't see her eligible again, Vancouver 2010 or otherwise. Sarah has been/is doing the same thing. I believe it's partly a comfort thing, it's what they've done their whole lives, and a PR thing, keeps people hanging on.

Michelle may have been giving the same "one day at a time" song and dance for 4 years, but she also has not pursued other interests. Recently, we've been hearing rumblings of college in Denver or UCLA, but all she's been involved in are COI and fullfilling endorsement committments, as well as rehabbing, so she's still eating, sleeping, living skating.

I don't know about that -- I've heard that Michelle has continued to take college classes (primarily summer school), and if this is true, then she is pursuing other interests. She also had the job for "Ice Princess" -- talked more about a potential acting career before the film was released than she has after the release. I think that Michelle, like Sasha and Sarah has been pursuing other interests -- the main difference, though, is that I don't think Michelle has yet really found one.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I don't think Michelle has taken a college course in a while, maybe since summer of 1999, but I could be wrong. you're right, she has done cameos in a couple shows/movies, but I think she did it more as fun, not as pursuing another career. I guess what I mean is Sasha seems serious about acting and modeling and even cooking, as future careers. Michelle appears to be seeking another interest. I hope she can find her niche!

In a recent COI interview Michelle also mentioned politics as something she might eventually be interested in. Maybe going to the White House, meeting (former figure skater) Condoleeza Rice, hobnobbing wth the presdent of China, dating the son of a prominent and politically active family, etc., put a bug in her ear.

The main difference between figure skating and politics: in figure skating, no matter what you do -- win or lose -- everybody loves you. In politics, no matter what you do, everybody hates you.

MM :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I don't know about "everybody loves you" in figure skating.

I think Michelle may be finding her niche. I think she might have seriously considered acting, and after doing cameos (and getting a lot of bad reviews for "Ice Princess", decided that acting was not for her.) Mathman is right -- she has mentioned studying political science (and international relations) with a potential political career -- she sounds a lot more interested in doing that than she ever sounded in psychology (her first choice of major). However, I think it not uncommon for people to find their niche during their college years, and maybe Michelle is one of those.

I'm ok with MK becoming a political scientist. Why not? We have retired figure skaters who have become medical doctors and surgeons. Can you imagine MK getting a job with the State Department and given an Ambassadorship to the Ivory Coast (or whatever it is called now). I believe it has the largest ice skating rink in the world.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Well, if a former child movie star can become an ambassador, why not Michelle?

Alsace

On the Ice
(and getting a lot of bad reviews for "Ice Princess", decided that acting was not for her.)

Was her performance considered that bad in the context of that movie? I really didn't notice, but then, I only watched it once.

Is Ice Princess the one where she plays a Peggy (and Dick) role? I would think that was a cameo also. Of course, I didn't see it. Why would anyone want to critique it?

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think it was a cameo role and very brief. It showed her and Brian as commentators and I believe Michelle said something like,"This could be one to watch at the next Olympics." or something. Very brief. The whole movie got poor reviews.