World Trade Center- the movie | Golden Skate

World Trade Center- the movie

Vash01

Medalist
Did anyone see this? What did you think?

Spoilers ahead..............

I thought it started off very well- as just another day until the first tower got hit- and building upto the point where the Port Authority police officers got trapped under the rubble.

However, around middle of the movie it started to drag. It was WTC rubble-family - rubble-family..... and finally when the men were pulled out, it made less impact than I had anticipated. I understand that the real life characters (McLoughlin and Jimeno) wanted to make the movie just like the real events. However, the director could have selected a different approach to showing it.

The acting by the two male characters was good. I thought the women were just OK. I don't regret that I saw the movie but it was a bit of a disappointment after all the hype.

heyang

Record Breaker
On Wednesday AM on radio station WPLJ, they interviewed one of the police officers who responded to 9/11 and who acted as consultant on the movie.

One question asked was 'Do you think it's too soon?' His response was that he was initially leary, but that Oliver Stone did a great job at emphasizing the human aspect of the firefighters, port authority police and the rescuers and their families.'

He also said that his 1st knowledge of the attack came from listening to WPLJ. He was driving home when he heard the news. He got his gear and turned back to the city. On that day, they divided into 2 teams - rescue and tactical. He said that they did not know (as no one else did) if there would be further attacks on NYC. The rescue team went into the buildings. The tactical team were on standby to go to any other sites in the city that might come under attack. He said that they had no idea what was going on. When the fighter jets flew over NY, they had no idea if they were the US planes or if they were enemy. Just as with everyone else in the country, they heard rumors that Israel was under attack/destroyed, that other planes were missing, that DC was under multiple attacks, etc. The film also portrays the uncertainties and feaers of the families, which is something they live through during every situation. He said that these were all points that Oliver Stone included in the picture.

He reminded the listening audience that the police are out their every day ready to put their lives on the line to help you. Same with the firefighters.

I cried just listening to him - so, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need a big box of tissues whenever I watch this movie.

On another board I visit, all reviews have been really positive and very emotional

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two of the reviewers I heard on radio stations gave it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars. I would like to see it.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'm sure Stone did a great job but I really don't want to watch it.

Joe

Joe, I'm with you.... My husband and son want to see it, but I think I'll stick with the A&E channel... I'm trying to find out if its too graphic for a nine year old... but again, he did sit for hours and watch the original attacks take place ~ hence his facination with all things war... such a shame. a whole generation will have Sept. 11th as their first childhood memory... :no: