Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Terms and Definitions - Draft

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    This will be very useful and I like the idea of Goldenskate's experts and dedicated volunteers doing it themselves, collectively. Our own little Wikipedia! only more reliable.

Down With It
    unless I missed it...it might be good to go to the very basics and define "inside edge", "outside edge", and "edge", since those words are used a lot to define other "terms".

Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    Thanks Joe, I am sure it is good, and looked a little familiar. For some reason though, I think GS can do better - if we do it together.

This was a place I went a few times,
    http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q7
    And very informative, but not directly connected to the coolest Forum around! IMO

Maybe I should just use others, but as the example on the link given - Skate Journal, there are a number of them incomplete - coming soon. I could even just reference 1319, 1490, etc...

Also people looking for answers might be inclined to see how cool GS is if they use the T and D GS could have. JAT New members you can laugh at besides my ignorance

Anyhoo, if I should stop trying to have a GS "T and D" please, everyone stop me now.
    Seanibu - It's not the contributions of many GS members that's a problem. It is collecting them and collating them into one file with room for updates when such new elements make appearances. (A topic like Choreography, will take up a page for a definition)

Next and more imporant, where do you intend to put this handy reference once it is all sorted out?

I'm not against it but the task is formidable. It would be great for a serious figure skating librarian wannabee.

Joe

don't have time to read through all of the terms that people have listed

but two we use a lot around competition time are "skate gods" which has a couple of different meanings... the one that comes ot mind for me has to do with Brian Orser and Scott Hamilton giving each other the title of 'skate god for the day' during their years of competing together... Kurt Browning was given teh title in 87 or 88 after Scott saw him hit a quad in practice (? fellow Kurt fans help me out!) but I think he was known as "skategod jr" (they had these titles written on their skate blades, 'legend' has it lol) Kurt Browning gave Scott Hamilton the title of SkateGod for Life after his return from cancer in 97...

but I think when we're talking about skate gods on here it's normally our way of blaming bad performances and judging on a higer power lol

then there's the waxel, which I read of first in Kurt Brownings (way outdated) autobiography... and that's a jump that goes up... but comes down all wrong... most typically given to a very bad fall/landing on an Axel jump IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by UPDATES View Post
    Updates to "Draft 1"
    Does anyone want to help? Please claim the following if so - I will delete ones taken as quickly as possible (when ever I see it)

Any other types of spins

The different types of lifts

Carriage

Crossover(s)

Divisions / age groups

Dance specific elements.

Dance Programs - what are they and length

Mazurka

Mirroring

Russian Split Jump

Transitions - what are they?

The ones that you don't, paste onto the end of your post. As far as spins and lifts I guess we'll figure that out - what is missing. Or someone could just list all the "spin variations" they know and we'll go from there.

I figure that we can start a "Draft 2" list on this thread keeping in alphabetical order, once another 30 term/Defs or so come up I can compile in a couple of different ways so don't worry about that yet. I'll deal with the confusing part of getting it together and looking for duplicates and missing, etc... but help will always be appreciated.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 08-25-2006 at 05:22 PM.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Thanks for the links, they are useful and have been.

Just to be perfectly clear, I don't think the intent is to be 100% thorough in compiling this. I don't think any of those lists are either. Just something that is GS's that can provide simple answers a majority of the time without leaving the site.

I am glad Joe has pointed out the fact a complete and up-dateable glossary is likely an impossibility - for whoever may have not realized that to start with.

I would still think that terms like "snark" or other slang could be thrown in there quite easily as well. I was aware, and I think some were too, that there are other places to find these definitions - Skate Journal was a bookmark I had and forgot all about it - but as others have said, it will be nice for some. Particularly in the basics, clarification and this forums "lingo."
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 08-16-2006 at 08:21 AM.

Custom Title
    I really like this idea! We can all learn something from it. Be sure to save it often. You may have to repost it sometime if newbies have questions. Posts are saved here for a very long time, so you might be able to just save the link.

I can't help with a great many of the technical terms. There is one term that took me a while to figure out-

Toe axel: It's a pre-rotated double toe loop usually seen as a second jump in a combination. The skater errs by doing a half turn on the ice prior to jumping. This means that the skater is actually jumping from a forward position and rotating 1 and 1/2 times in the air before landing, which makes it similar to the axel jump.

This was off the top of my head, so someone please correct me if it's wrong.

nthuz
    SLANG:

Sour cow: a salchow gone bad

I don't know where this is going to go once there is enough to make a place for it - or if some of the "forum Leads" want anything to do with it
    But I am thinking either a "sticky that is locked" where the additions or edits would be sent to a Mod, or under the FAQ and listed just as the forum guidelines and such are. That is where I looked when I first joined.

Anyhoo, I love the additions and say keep them coming, I will sift and submit for a final "approval" - or more. I say vague is pretty good on some, just to get the gist of meaning, and some of the humor is great too. JAT - (just a thought)

Also the length of the thread never occurred to me - just look at the "Word Association" and "this or that" - those are much lengthier than I think this will need to be before we say, that is a good amount for general knowledge.

I would still LOVE for someone to take the Dance specifics terms.

I know what a Pop is, but how do I explain it???? I do them insensately! I guess if I could "beat them" I might be able to explain - or visa versa.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 08-16-2006 at 06:15 PM.

If we eventually get a document that we are proud of, maybe we could put it on the Golden Skate main page (click on site map, put a third link under "forum?")

BTW, the GS main page has all kinds of figure skating goodies to explore. Check it out, if you usually just come straight to the forum.

http://www.goldenskate.com/

For instance, right now it has a link to the results of the Dupage Open. U.S. junior champion Megan Hyatt skating in seniors almost matched Alyssa Czisny in the LP, 89.34 to 95.96.

But Alyssa was way ahead after a super SP, netting a monster 66.50 in the short. For comparison, the top SPs at the Olympics were Cohen, 66.73, Slutskaya, 66.70 and Arakawa, 66.02.

MM

I think too, the T&D placement would have to be approved by the GS Administrator. MODs are not in position for altering the GS makeup.

Joe

Custom Title
    In a combination, doesn't the second jump have to take off immediately from the same edge used to land the first jump? The definition just says "foot".

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is my home page since I felt stupid for asking if anyone knew of a good place to find televised events.

Great news about Alyssa

SusanBeth, thanks and noted. If no one disagrees with that I will change it

let's not forget the backflip and its history... it may not be Olympic Eligible... but it certainly deserves a seat...

and while we're at it, don't forget Mike Weiss' twist on the backflip... also known as the Tornado

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast