Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
Well, the dictionary on my shelf defines it as standing on one leg with the other foot bent backward, but that's not what I learned in ballet class.

Here's an online ballet dictionary:
http://www.dancestudio.org/ballet_dictionary/index.html
"attitude A pose on one leg with the other extended with the knee slightly bent either to the front, side, or back."
I am not trying to be a snot, I mean this with all humility. This is FS right. Is there a difference between the two or not?

I do think the "to the front, side, or back." is extremely relevant and will correct that.

As far as the rest, a little help here.

I want to keep with the basics and not try to be the TS, so I must need to include the factors of "normally, usually and occasionally" and then state at the beginning that there are always exceptions to every rule so this is only meant as a general guideline and not a standard for EVERYTHING. Only meant to give a head start in understanding. Unless defined specifically please consult other more thorough and complete sources. My intention was to not be overwhelming or potentially pretentious.
Delete "professional figure skating" -- all figure skating blades, whether used by beginners, amateur competitors, or professionals, use blade designs as described. And they also usually have toepicks (of various sizes).
I have found this from experience to not be true, although I should not have left out toepicks . A number of FSs at rental and sporting good stores do NOT have a hollow ground ( I have a pair of Sabers, Made in the UK, that are not such). If this has fallen out of the norm then the Sporting goods stores in Denver might be trying to sell 30 year old skates and I am misinformed via experience.
Delete the word "step" from all three of these. Brackets, counters, and rockers are turns, not steps -- there's no stepping from one foot to the other, it all happens on one foot. Also change "stepping" to "turning" in the bracket definition for the same reason.
I wrestled with that, does everyone else agree? I didn't want to but it seemed necessary with the way I was defining Jumps. You do step to do them??????

The ice dance definitions that I linked to earlier in this thread define it as "Lobe - Any sequence of steps on one side of the continuous axis that is approximately semi-circular in shape." That meaning is also used in reference to serpentine step sequences. It can also refer to single edges of that shape in the context of Moves in the Field or other exercises, or just talking about changes of curve within individual moves in isolation.
Oh? I must missunderstand Lobe. I will look it over, but really aprechiate the notification at the same time, thank you!

Just an observation -- It's really hard to write definitions for technical terms if you don't know what they mean and are trying to paraphrase other sources. If the other sources already exist online, better to just direct people to those.
That is not the point, I know people can use Google - meant in all respect, please understand.

Most fans, or even freestyle skaters, don't need to know the names for all the various kinds of mohawks, chasses, etc. described in the dance terms. Of course, it can be interesting to know that there are differences between these moves and not skating them all according to the definition in a compulsory dance can make a big difference in the marks, but the actual words are really only used in technical communications about ice dance (including verbally during lessons).
This says that I am getting to "specific" which would be good news because I would like to be more general.

Thanks!