Terms and Definitions - Draft | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Terms and Definitions - Draft

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks for the links, they are useful and have been.

Just to be perfectly clear, I don't think the intent is to be 100% thorough in compiling this. I don't think any of those lists are either. Just something that is GS's that can provide simple answers a majority of the time without leaving the site.

I am glad Joe has pointed out the fact a complete and up-dateable glossary is likely an impossibility - for whoever may have not realized that to start with.;)

I would still think that terms like "snark" or other slang could be thrown in there quite easily as well. I was aware, and I think some were too, that there are other places to find these definitions - Skate Journal was a bookmark I had and forgot all about it - but as others have said, it will be nice for some. Particularly in the basics, clarification and this forums "lingo."

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I really like this idea! We can all learn something from it. Be sure to save it often. You may have to repost it sometime if newbies have questions. Posts are saved here for a very long time, so you might be able to just save the link.

I can't help with a great many of the technical terms. There is one term that took me a while to figure out-

Toe axel: It's a pre-rotated double toe loop usually seen as a second jump in a combination. The skater errs by doing a half turn on the ice prior to jumping. This means that the skater is actually jumping from a forward position and rotating 1 and 1/2 times in the air before landing, which makes it similar to the axel jump.

This was off the top of my head, so someone please correct me if it's wrong.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't know where this is going to go once there is enough to make a place for it - or if some of the "forum Leads" want anything to do with it:laugh:
But I am thinking either a "sticky that is locked" where the additions or edits would be sent to a Mod, or under the FAQ and listed just as the forum guidelines and such are. That is where I looked when I first joined.

Anyhoo, I love the additions and say keep them coming, I will sift and submit for a final "approval" - or more. I say vague is pretty good on some, just to get the gist of meaning, and some of the humor is great too. JAT - (just a thought)

Also the length of the thread never occurred to me - just look at the "Word Association" and "this or that" - those are much lengthier than I think this will need to be before we say, that is a good amount for general knowledge.

I would still LOVE for someone to take the Dance specifics terms.:bow: :bow: :bow:

I know what a Pop is, but how do I explain it???? I do them insensately! I guess if I could "beat them" I might be able to explain - or visa versa.

Last edited:
If we eventually get a document that we are proud of, maybe we could put it on the Golden Skate main page (click on site map, put a third link under "forum?")

BTW, the GS main page has all kinds of figure skating goodies to explore. Check it out, if you usually just come straight to the forum.

http://www.goldenskate.com/

For instance, right now it has a link to the results of the Dupage Open. U.S. junior champion Megan Hyatt skating in seniors almost matched Alyssa Czisny in the LP, 89.34 to 95.96.

But Alyssa was way ahead after a super SP, netting a monster 66.50 in the short. For comparison, the top SPs at the Olympics were Cohen, 66.73, Slutskaya, 66.70 and Arakawa, 66.02.

MM :)

I think too, the T&D placement would have to be approved by the GS Administrator. MODs are not in position for altering the GS makeup.

Joe

SusanBeth

Final Flight
In a combination, doesn't the second jump have to take off immediately from the same edge used to land the first jump? The definition just says "foot".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
let's not forget the backflip and its history... it may not be Olympic Eligible... but it certainly deserves a seat...

and while we're at it, don't forget Mike Weiss' twist on the backflip... also known as the Tornado ;)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I hope you don't mind, but the definition for combination still needed work, so I worked on it.

Combination
: This term may refer to jumps or spins.

A jump combination is a series of two or more jumps in which the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... jumps must take off immediately from the same edge used to land the previous jump. There cannot be any turns, steps, or long pauses between the jumps in a combination. There may be turns and steps seen between jumps in a jump sequence.

A combination spin has one or more changes of position/edge/foot within a spin.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Leaving the surface of the ice under skaters own power and landing one the blades.

Loop Jump
Taking off from the back outside edge of one blade and landing on the back outside edge of the same skate. This is often called "Rittberger" in Europe.

"Rittberger" is another name for the loop jump, not for jumps in general.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The new listed Terms I am copying and putting in a text file and will post around 30.:yes:

Busy weekend still ahead.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Terms List 2 - feel free to post your thoughts

Attitude
The skater's free leg is slightly bent and lifted upward, out and behind at as much of an angle difference to the skating leg.

Back spin

Spinning on a back outside edge of the right skate. Shoulder and arm positions are the same even though the spin is on a different leg.

Blade -
professional figure skating
There is one blade on each skate, comprised of 2 edges per blade. The edges are separated by a hollowed / concave down the center of the blade. The blade also has a slight curve from front to back much like the runners on a rocking chair although much less extreme. This curve is designated in 3 sections known as lobes; front, back and center.

Bracket step
During a curve on one outside edge turning as stepping into an inside edge (or an inside edge to an outside edge) continue the curve and use same Lobe of the stepping blade as they did on the entry to the curve - the skater is turning in the opposite direction of the curve.

Chasse (s)
Step combinations where the free skate is placed next to, and not in front of the skating blade - now the placed blade receives all weight allowing the other skate to become free. "Switching skate blades side by side while skating."
Crossed Chasse
When a free skate is crossed behind the skating boot heal onto the ice when skating forward - in front of the Skating boots toe when skating forward.
Slide Chasse
When the free blade slides off the ice forward when skating is skating forward and behind when skating backward.

Counter step
This turn is from one blade on an outside edge to an outside edge (or an inside edge to an inside edge) exiting the curve on a different Lobe than the entry curve - the skater turns the opposite direction of the entry curve which is the same direction as the exit curve.

Free Blade / Boot / Leg / Skate
The Skate Blade not in contact with the ice surface, or being used to keep the skater skating.

IOC
International Olympic Committee

Lobe
Referring to the section of the arch on the skates blade. Divided into thirds - front, center or rear.

Mohawk (s)
Turning with one blade onto the other where the entry and exit curve is contiguous and equal in depth. Changing of the blade is from the outside edge to the opposite outside edge or from an inside edge to the opposite inside edge.
Open Mohawk
The inner side of the heel on the free boot is placed on the ice. After the weight is transfered to the back inside edge, the first position of the now free skate is directly behind the heel of the now skating boot.
Closed Mohawk
Holding the instep of the free boot on the heel of the skating boot until the free blade is put onto the ice - directly behind the skating boot - simultaneously transfer all weight to the newly touching blade. The position of the now free blade should go to the front of the now skating boot.
Swing Mohawk
Open or closed Mohawk, the skaters free leg swings closely forward of the skating leg, then back toward the skating foot utilizing the swing to execute the turn.

Progressive ~ Run
Step or steps where the free skate passes the skating blade before being placed onto the ice, then bringing the new free skate blade off of the ice directly behind the new skating blade.

Rocker step

This is a turn during a curve from one blade on an outside edge to an outside edge (or an inside edge to an inside edge) and using a different Lobe from the one used in the entry curve. - the skater is turning in the same direction as the entry curve.

Roll Step (s)
Short or long steps on forward or backward edges curving in a opposite direction to the preceding edges. This creates a rolling impression, hence the steps name.
Swing Roll
While skating backwards the free leg first swings to the skater's front and then behind. When skating forward, the free leg first swings back and then forward. The blade of the free leg is then placed on the ice next to the skating blade. This is held for a duration of musical beats.
Cross Roll
Skating forward with skates crossed in front - Skating backward with skates crossed behind. The momentum is achieved by the outside edge of the blade as it becomes free.

Scratch spin
Commonly entered from back crossovers. Using the right inside edge and left leg crossed behind, then step in to the left forward outside edge doing three turns and bring the right leg up into a spin positioning. Also can be approached straight, from the left forward inside edge then step into the right forward inside edge.

Slip Step
Steps skated in a straight line while the blades of both skates are flat on the ice. The skaters weight is put over one leg with a bend knee and the free skate slides forward along the ice to extend in front of the skater.

Sour cow
A Salchow gone bad:laugh:

Stroke - Cross
The step is started with the legs crossed above the knees so that the momentum of the skater is achieved from using the outside edge of the blade that is about to become the free skate.

Stroke - Open
The steps that are behind the skating foot, not going in front or behind it.

Swing Counter or Swing Rocker step
During the Rocker or Counter step, the free boot will swing closely past the skating boot before and after the turn. It is either; swung past the skating boot then held behind it and over the skating line, or it is allowed to swing forward.

Three Turn (s)
Executed with one blade going from the outside edge to the inside edge or visa-versa, the exit curve continues with the same Lobe as the entry curve was, and continuing the direction of that curve.
Dropped Three Turn
A three turn where the weight is transferred to the free skate as it is becoming the skate for the next step.
Quick Dropped Three Turn
Almost simultaneously within one beat of music. It is made from a forward outside onto the backward outside edge of the opposite blade - Immediately stepping forward onto the original skate.
Waltz Three Turn
These steps are skated having the free leg extended close to the surface with the tow and hip turning out to the skaters line, stepping in closely toward the heel of the skating boot as the turn is made. Once the turn is complete the free boot is held ahead of the skaters line before being placed next to the skating blade just prior to the next step.

Toe Step
Stepping from one Toepick to the other without a Jump - one Toepick always in contact with the ice surface.

Toe Walley Jump
Jumping off the right back inside edge instead of a right back outside edge. Toe walleys are using the left outside for 3 turns and then a step onto a right back inside edge. The skaters switch blades just before the jump is made.

Waltz jump
Start as a glide on the right back outside edge. Then stepping forward onto the left forward outside edge then kicking the right leg as they begin to lift. Arms are held out for it is a half rotation. Waltz jumps and Axels are the only jumps starting from facing forward.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
good, if you want this as a resource for skaters it's excellent. If it's intended as a resource for non-skaters or people who don't know any of the terms, I suggest defining some of the words used to define some of these terms because on many of these I have no idea what you are talking about.