Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Terms and Definitions - Draft

Custom Title
    I hope you don't mind, but the definition for combination still needed work, so I worked on it.

Combination
    : This term may refer to jumps or spins.

A jump combination is a series of two or more jumps in which the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... jumps must take off immediately from the same edge used to land the previous jump. There cannot be any turns, steps, or long pauses between the jumps in a combination. There may be turns and steps seen between jumps in a jump sequence.

A combination spin has one or more changes of position/edge/foot within a spin.
    Last edited by SusanBeth; 08-18-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Custom Title
    Here's a link with lots of ice dance-related definitions:

http://www.ice-dance.com/techreferen...finitions.html

Custom Title
    Leaving the surface of the ice under skaters own power and landing one the blades.

Loop Jump
    Taking off from the back outside edge of one blade and landing on the back outside edge of the same skate. This is often called "Rittberger" in Europe.

"Rittberger" is another name for the loop jump, not for jumps in general.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    "Rittberger" is another name for the loop jump, not for jumps in general.
    OOPs

The new listed Terms I am copying and putting in a text file and will post around 30.

Busy weekend still ahead.

Down With It
    hey, Appreciate all your hard work on this.

IOC
    International Olympic Committee or Comity?

Committee... I would imagine

Terms List 2 - feel free to post your thoughts

Attitude
    The skater's free leg is slightly bent and lifted upward, out and behind at as much of an angle difference to the skating leg.

Back spin

Spinning on a back outside edge of the right skate. Shoulder and arm positions are the same even though the spin is on a different leg.

Blade -
    professional figure skating
    There is one blade on each skate, comprised of 2 edges per blade. The edges are separated by a hollowed / concave down the center of the blade. The blade also has a slight curve from front to back much like the runners on a rocking chair although much less extreme. This curve is designated in 3 sections known as lobes; front, back and center.

Bracket step
    During a curve on one outside edge turning as stepping into an inside edge (or an inside edge to an outside edge) continue the curve and use same Lobe of the stepping blade as they did on the entry to the curve - the skater is turning in the opposite direction of the curve.

Chasse (s)
    Step combinations where the free skate is placed next to, and not in front of the skating blade - now the placed blade receives all weight allowing the other skate to become free. "Switching skate blades side by side while skating."
    Crossed Chasse
    When a free skate is crossed behind the skating boot heal onto the ice when skating forward - in front of the Skating boots toe when skating forward.
    Slide Chasse
    When the free blade slides off the ice forward when skating is skating forward and behind when skating backward.

Counter step
    This turn is from one blade on an outside edge to an outside edge (or an inside edge to an inside edge) exiting the curve on a different Lobe than the entry curve - the skater turns the opposite direction of the entry curve which is the same direction as the exit curve.

Free Blade / Boot / Leg / Skate
    The Skate Blade not in contact with the ice surface, or being used to keep the skater skating.

IOC
    International Olympic Committee

Lobe
    Referring to the section of the arch on the skates blade. Divided into thirds - front, center or rear.

Mohawk (s)
    Turning with one blade onto the other where the entry and exit curve is contiguous and equal in depth. Changing of the blade is from the outside edge to the opposite outside edge or from an inside edge to the opposite inside edge.
    Open Mohawk
    The inner side of the heel on the free boot is placed on the ice. After the weight is transfered to the back inside edge, the first position of the now free skate is directly behind the heel of the now skating boot.
    Closed Mohawk
    Holding the instep of the free boot on the heel of the skating boot until the free blade is put onto the ice - directly behind the skating boot - simultaneously transfer all weight to the newly touching blade. The position of the now free blade should go to the front of the now skating boot.
    Swing Mohawk
    Open or closed Mohawk, the skaters free leg swings closely forward of the skating leg, then back toward the skating foot utilizing the swing to execute the turn.

Progressive ~ Run
    Step or steps where the free skate passes the skating blade before being placed onto the ice, then bringing the new free skate blade off of the ice directly behind the new skating blade.

Rocker step

This is a turn during a curve from one blade on an outside edge to an outside edge (or an inside edge to an inside edge) and using a different Lobe from the one used in the entry curve. - the skater is turning in the same direction as the entry curve.

Roll Step (s)
    Short or long steps on forward or backward edges curving in a opposite direction to the preceding edges. This creates a rolling impression, hence the steps name.
    Swing Roll
    While skating backwards the free leg first swings to the skater's front and then behind. When skating forward, the free leg first swings back and then forward. The blade of the free leg is then placed on the ice next to the skating blade. This is held for a duration of musical beats.
    Cross Roll
    Skating forward with skates crossed in front - Skating backward with skates crossed behind. The momentum is achieved by the outside edge of the blade as it becomes free.

Scratch spin
    Commonly entered from back crossovers. Using the right inside edge and left leg crossed behind, then step in to the left forward outside edge doing three turns and bring the right leg up into a spin positioning. Also can be approached straight, from the left forward inside edge then step into the right forward inside edge.

Slip Step
    Steps skated in a straight line while the blades of both skates are flat on the ice. The skaters weight is put over one leg with a bend knee and the free skate slides forward along the ice to extend in front of the skater.

Sour cow
    A Salchow gone bad

Stroke - Cross
    The step is started with the legs crossed above the knees so that the momentum of the skater is achieved from using the outside edge of the blade that is about to become the free skate.

Stroke - Open
    The steps that are behind the skating foot, not going in front or behind it.

Swing Counter or Swing Rocker step
    During the Rocker or Counter step, the free boot will swing closely past the skating boot before and after the turn. It is either; swung past the skating boot then held behind it and over the skating line, or it is allowed to swing forward.

Three Turn (s)
    Executed with one blade going from the outside edge to the inside edge or visa-versa, the exit curve continues with the same Lobe as the entry curve was, and continuing the direction of that curve.
    Dropped Three Turn
    A three turn where the weight is transferred to the free skate as it is becoming the skate for the next step.
    Quick Dropped Three Turn
    Almost simultaneously within one beat of music. It is made from a forward outside onto the backward outside edge of the opposite blade - Immediately stepping forward onto the original skate.
    Waltz Three Turn
    These steps are skated having the free leg extended close to the surface with the tow and hip turning out to the skaters line, stepping in closely toward the heel of the skating boot as the turn is made. Once the turn is complete the free boot is held ahead of the skaters line before being placed next to the skating blade just prior to the next step.

Toe Step
    Stepping from one Toepick to the other without a Jump - one Toepick always in contact with the ice surface.

Toe Walley Jump
    Jumping off the right back inside edge instead of a right back outside edge. Toe walleys are using the left outside for 3 turns and then a step onto a right back inside edge. The skaters switch blades just before the jump is made.

Waltz jump
    Start as a glide on the right back outside edge. Then stepping forward onto the left forward outside edge then kicking the right leg as they begin to lift. Arms are held out for it is a half rotation. Waltz jumps and Axels are the only jumps starting from facing forward.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 08-25-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Down With It
    good, if you want this as a resource for skaters it's excellent. If it's intended as a resource for non-skaters or people who don't know any of the terms, I suggest defining some of the words used to define some of these terms because on many of these I have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    good, if you want this as a resource for skaters it's excellent. If it's intended as a resource for non-skaters or people who don't know any of the terms, I suggest defining some of the words used to define some of these terms because on many of these I have no idea what you are talking about.
    I was shooting for that, do you havbe any examples. I put in Lobe and I was thinking just now I should put in trace and travel. What were ones in Q for you?

I think it is best that I do take that approach for the "basics but not leave anything out. So PM or post what a "Newbee" might say Hunh to, and I will try and clarify. Things like Backflip I really don't think need to be clarified. But I was just reading it over and Back spin is kinda weird, I was thinking of the comparison to a scratch and the def for Back comes out as saying "what are you comparing it to?"

Anyhoo RD, I like you despite what the "fam" says about you. I know you like Sasha or you wouldn't be saving all those pics.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    I was shooting for that, do you havbe any examples. I put in Lobe and I was thinking just now I should put in trace and travel. What were ones in Q for you?

I think it is best that I do take that approach for the "basics but not leave anything out. So PM or post what a "Newbee" might say Hunh to, and I will try and clarify. Things like Backflip I really don't think need to be clarified. But I was just reading it over and Back spin is kinda weird, I was thinking of the comparison to a scratch and the def for Back comes out as saying "what are you comparing it to?"
    Hmm..let's go with this. Your definition of "blade" below, with the words that might be confusing to someone like me:

Blade - professional figure skating
    There is one blade on each skate, comprised of 2 edges per blade. The edges are separated by a hollowed / concave [what?] down the center of the blade. The blade also has a slight curve from [the] front to back much like the runners on a rocking chair although much less extreme (hmm?). This curve is designated in 3 sections known as lobes; front, back and center. [picture might help here]

Now "edges" I assume are the tips of the blade? Or is it the two "sides" of the blade?

Another one:

Stroke - Cross
    The step [move??] is started with the legs crossed above the knees so that the momentum of the skater is achieved from using the outside edge [slight tech speak- "outside edge" should be defined before this term] of the blade that is about to become the free skate [and what is that?].

And yet another one:

Waltz jump
    Start as a glide on the "right back outside edge" [once again, make sure you define the term in quotes before you mention it here. A good rule of thumb is to start with simple everyday words and then after you introduce more "technical" terms, you can begin using those terms to define later terms.]. Then stepping forward onto the "left forward outside edge"[same thing as above.] then kicking the right leg as they begin to lift[go in the air??]. Arms are held out for it is a half rotation[hmm, maybe a little clearer for non-techies]. Waltz jumps and Axels are the only jumps starting from facing forward.

My non-expert opinion. This is assuming you're making this for a layman audience. If the audience of this FAQ is mainly supposed to be skaters or people with a background in figure skating, then the current edition is fine.

Anyhoo RD, I like you despite what the "fam" says about you. I know you like Sasha or you wouldn't be saving all those pics.

I save pics of all skaters, and I have the most pics of Tara Lipinski, followed by Kwan. Hell, I even collect pictures of Irina. No ladies skater is exempt from my picture collection

But this comment is phrased in a way to provoke me, I know it. So I will leave it at this.
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-25-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Custom Title
    Attitude
    The skater's free leg is slightly bent and lifted upward, out and behind at as much of an angle difference to the skating leg.
    Well, the dictionary on my shelf defines it as standing on one leg with the other foot bent backward, but that's not what I learned in ballet class.

Here's an online ballet dictionary:
    http://www.dancestudio.org/ballet_dictionary/index.html
    "attitude A pose on one leg with the other extended with the knee slightly bent either to the front, side, or back."

Back spin
    Spinning on a back outside edge of the right skate. Shoulder and arm positions are the same even though the spin is on a different leg. [/quote]

No, it's not necessarily on the back outside edge of the right skate. In the first place, if you spin clockwise instead of counterclockwise, the backspin will be on the left leg.

In the second place, it's possible to change edges on both forward and backward spins, so that e.g., a counterclockwise backspin could be done on the forward inside edge of the right skate. The new judging system specifically rewards changing edges, so we've seen a lot of that in the last few years.

And both forward and backward spins can be done in a variety of positions including variations of the shoulder and arm positions.

For a simple definition of the difference between a forward and a back spin, I would say that a forward spin rotates toward the skating leg, and a back spin rotates toward the free leg.

Blade -
    professional figure skating
    Delete "professional figure skating" -- all figure skating blades, whether used by beginners, amateur competitors, or professionals, use blade designs as described. And they also usually have toepicks (of various sizes).

Bracket step
    During a curve on one outside edge turning as stepping into an inside edge (or an inside edge to an outside edge) continue the curve and use same Lobe of the stepping blade as they did on the entry to the curve - the skater is turning in the opposite direction of the curve.

Counter step
    This turn is from one blade on an outside edge to an outside edge (or an inside edge to an inside edge) exiting the curve on a different Lobe than the entry curve - the skater turns the opposite direction of the entry curve which is the same direction as the exit curve.

Rocker step
    Delete the word "step" from all three of these. Brackets, counters, and rockers are turns, not steps -- there's no stepping from one foot to the other, it all happens on one foot. Also change "stepping" to "turning" in the bracket definition for the same reason.

Lobe
    Referring to the section of the arch on the skates blade. Divided into thirds - front, center or rear.
    Now, look back at your definitions for counter and rocker, which use the word "lobe" in a different sense.

The ice dance definitions that I linked to earlier in this thread define it as "Lobe - Any sequence of steps on one side of the continuous axis that is approximately semi-circular in shape." That meaning is also used in reference to serpentine step sequences. It can also refer to single edges of that shape in the context of Moves in the Field or other exercises, or just talking about changes of curve within individual moves in isolation.

Just an observation -- It's really hard to write definitions for technical terms if you don't know what they mean and are trying to paraphrase other sources. If the other sources already exist online, better to just direct people to those.

http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_basic.htm or http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_recognize.htm
    http://www.ice-dance.com/techreferen...finitions.html

Most fans, or even freestyle skaters, don't need to know the names for all the various kinds of mohawks, chasses, etc. described in the dance terms. Of course, it can be interesting to know that there are differences between these moves and not skating them all according to the definition in a compulsory dance can make a big difference in the marks, but the actual words are really only used in technical communications about ice dance (including verbally during lessons).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

But this comment is phrased in a way to provoke me, I know it. So I will leave it at this.
    NOOO it is not, I really mean it in jest RD. I do like you and I should have been more sensitive to what has just been posted. I DO like you and the input. I have said before sometimes people are over sensitive too. I got so much flack for the one and only thing I didn't like about MK. I know how you might feel, and the protectors do have a tendency to over exaggerate. Just watch what what you say about Fumie and I will always like you.

As the defs go thank you for that feed back. The only thing I have a question about is the fact that I explained edges in the Terms 1 - was that unclear, or were you referencing that too. Maybe I should repost all terms Defs in one post. ?? Everything else I will work on.

Keep on being you RD, I don't find you offensive or out of line. Lord knows my first posts were WAY more controversial then anything I have ever read of yours. Plus you get the best Pics!

Down With It
    As the defs go thank you for that feed back. The only thing I have a question about is the fact that I explained edges in the Terms 1 - was that unclear, or were you referencing that too. Maybe I should repost all terms Defs in one post. ?? Everything else I will work on.
    OK, I found the "edges" definition:

Two edges on both sides of a grooved center/hollow of the blade.
    another good rule of thumb: try not to use the word you're defining in the definition! But I still find myself a little confused...grooved center/hollow? what's that? Both sides...left and right or top and bottom?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast