Masha Marries! | Golden Skate

Masha Marries!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope the 2 will be very happy together.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Good for her! I've always loved the Russian Diva and hopefully this one won't get her car blown up... (ok, that was wrong...)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ok, now just what is "Masha"? I keep hearing it. Some nickname for her or for the name "Maria"?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Most Slavic, Russian included, names have a shorter version of it. It is a diminutive form, not a nickname.

Masha is the diminutive of Maria. Sasha is the diminutive of Alexandra or Alexander.

Congrats and mazel tov, BTW :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Most Slavic, Russian included, names have a shorter version of it. It is a diminutive form, not a nickname.

Masha is the diminutive of Maria. Sasha is the diminutive of Alexandra or Alexander.

OK, thanks. So kind of like "Dick" and "Richard", I presume?

antmanb

Record Breaker
But Masha is no shorter than Maria?????

Not in letters but it sounds shorter with only having two syllables to Maria's three???

ok i'm stretching!

It may just be a "cutesy" nickname...diminutives in Spanish often end up being longer too.

Ant

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
In Russian, Masha is 4 letters, whereas Maria or Mar'ya is 5. So it is shorter!

But yes, it is also meant to be an endearing vesion of your name. That's what your friends and family would call you, and if you are a child, everybody calls you that.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, now just what is "Masha"? I keep hearing it. Some nickname for her or for the name "Maria"?

Potatos :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry RD, just had to do it . Nickname for Maria.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I dunno. And yeah, Potatoes..."Masha" just sounds really...umm...different to me, I guess. I prefer Maria myself.

And what do they call that Yagudin guy again? Seems like there's a nickname/diminuitive (sp) for every Russian name, it seems.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
RD, I would estimate about 90-95% of Slavic names have a diminutive version, some have more than one.

In the case of Alexei, you have 2 possibilities for a "shorter" version: Lyosha (4 letters in Russian), Alyosha (5 letters). He can also be called Lyokha (4 letters), Lyoshka (5), Aleshka (6). The last 3 are more of a "familiar" names - friends would call you that. You can have "endearing" names - Aleshen'ka, Leshen'ka, etc. These are for little kids and something that moms and girfriends would use to address a guy with name Alexei.

I read somewhere that Yagudin prefers to be called "Yashka" - which is familiar version of a diminutive for Yakov/Jacob. That I don't get. Must be an inside story.

I should also add, that even if a name does not have a "shorter" version (like Ilya, Marina) - you can always "convert" the name into an endearing or a familiar version.

How about that? :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
that's interesting. I've heard Russians address Yagudin as "Lyosha" (couldn't remember it though). I think I've also heard "Alyosha".

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
And what do they call that Yagudin guy again? Seems like there's a nickname/diminuitive (sp) for every Russian name, it seems.

The nicknames/diminuitives for Yagudin are "hot to death" "yummy hunny" and depending on the costume... "damn! he's fine!" :)