Michelle's injury/surgery? | Golden Skate

Michelle's injury/surgery?

Kathy

On the Ice
On FSU there is a report by a very reliable reporter that Michelle is scheduled to have hip surgery in Colorado Springs, Colorado shortly after COI ends.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41649

I heard this rumor a while back but it was really just that - a rumor. I am somewhat relieved although I know the risks - her hip wasn't healing with rest. Her only hope at recovery is a miracle of modern medicine. I will pray she will still be able to skate on her own terms.

I'm not surprised if it is true. IMO, she just should have cut out all skating after 2003 Worlds regardless of commercial commitments. Even COI without jumps has taken more of a toll on her body.

We don't know exactly what the surgery is at this point. Does anyone? If it's
hip(s) replacements, it will be several months recuperation, and then??????

Rudy's did well. He is able to skate but limits some things.
I think something that was missing was put in Alexei's hip area and he is skating well, but limited.

Surgery of any kind is risky. I wish Michelle the best.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Yagudin, though, reports being in a lot of pain, but IIRC, Galindo's surgery alleviated the pain (or as much pain as anyone who makes a living using his/her body full force can have alleviated).

nymkfan51

Medalist
I am actually heartened to hear this news. Her injury was obviously not healing with rest. Hopefully it will be successful and she will be able to skate once again without pain. Who knows if competitive skating will ever be an option for her again, but even skating without jumping had become extremely difficult for her to do.

I wish her the best ... she will be in my thoughts and prayers.

AlissaCzisnyFan

Rinkside
Michelle Kwan has always been one of my favorite skaters.
I hope this hip surgery helps tremendously, and that she has a quick recovery.
Even if Michelle retires afterwards, she will always be the Kween of figure skating!

Yagudin, though, reports being in a lot of pain, but IIRC, Galindo's surgery alleviated the pain (or as much pain as anyone who makes a living using his/her body full force can have alleviated).
Sorry to hear that about Alexei. He is so fanatic about skating. really sad.

On a personal note, I had knee replacements. I no longer have pain but I can not run or jump easily. Prosthesus does limit movements, but eliminates pain.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara's problem was that her hip flexor muscle became detached. After the surgery, doctors warned her to stay off the ice for an extended period (3-6 months), but she was back performing in COI within 6 weeks, and because of that she developed arthritis in the hip.

Alexei's problem was a congenitally malformed hip where the head of the femur rubbed against the socket and was gradually worn away. Surgery helped him somewhat, but he will always have pain in that hip. He, too, returned to skating too soon after the surgery.

We don't know what Michelle's specific problem is, but obviously she is going to take care of herself and have a long vacation from skating after the surgery, so perhaps she will be able to make a complete recovery. As to whether she will be able to compete again as an eligible, that is unknown. However, maybe her availability to skate as a pro and do pro competitions will bring more pro competitions back to TV.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I just hope that all goes well, and that Michelle recovers completely and rapidly. After surgery, Michelle will be in a better condition to make the decisions that will affect the rest of her life.

MKFSfan

Medalist
My sentiments exactly! We don't even know if this is just a rumor, but I hope no matter what the truth is, that Michelle can be healthy and comfortable. I would hate for her not to skate much longer.

rjulie510

Rinkside
I'm not surprised by this news as I've been preparing myself for this for awhile now. My only wish is she will not do what Tara and Alexei did -returning to the ice way too soon after the surgery. I hope she will take all the time she needs to recover so she can recover fully.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I hope her surgery and recovery is successful. Godspeed Michelle.

R.D.

Record Breaker
alas, the one who seemingly had the long famous career without major injury is no more. To not get the OGM is one thing, but it seems that fate struck a second time. Not only in MK but IS as well

Eeyora

Final Flight
I am not surprised. Rest and therapy didn't seem to work and in interviews she is still keeping her options open. I think surgery is her last hope of having any career on the ice pro or amateur.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope that if there is a surgery, it goes well. Unlike with Lipinski and Yagudin, I feel that Michelle is a person to have the sense to listen to doctor´s instructions and patience of not coming onto the ice way too early.

alas, the one who seemingly had the long famous career without major injury is no more. To not get the OGM is one thing, but it seems that fate struck a second time. Not only in MK but IS as well
Makes some people feel better about Sasha.

5 gold Worlds plus 2 Oly medals for MK. 2 gold Worlds plus 2 Oly medals for IS.

Seemingly seems like the wrong word to me.

Joe

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
That's what I was thinking! Michelle has been VERY fortunate, as has Irina, to have the longetivity they've had. That would not have happened if they were truly injury prone as many other skaters. How can ANYONE, any athlete, endure over 10 years of daily pounding not walk away with much wear and tear on their bodies? It's not natural to rotate 3 times in the air or yank your leg over your head, you know!

I don't know...if I loved my sport and was able to compete at the top, I think I would choose decade of competing for the top of the podium, numerous titles to a flash in the pan, one moment career. Everyone is different, but I'd want to be a legend like Michelle, be mentioned among great athletes and have impact of millions of people, even if that means one day I may have maintenance issues, over a career that results in a blip on the radar screen, maybe win a title or 3, and then retire with serious injuries.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
...I think I would choose decade of competing for the top of the podium, numerous titles to a flash in the pan, one moment career. Everyone is different, but I'd want to be a legend like Michelle, be mentioned among great athletes and have impact of millions of people, even if that means one day I may have maintenance issues, over a career that results in a blip on the radar screen, maybe win a title or 3, and then retire with serious injuries.

Absolutely! Both have left their mark by leaving the sport better than they found it and that's awesome.... I have nothing but admiration for Michelle and Irina and will continue to root for these two remarkable young women. While three have OGM and others a lot of hype, press and whatnot ~ Michelle and Irina have had outlandish success at careers doing what they love... a true blessing.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Absolutely! Both have left their mark by leaving the sport better than they found it and that's awesome.... I have nothing but admiration for Michelle and Irina and will continue to root for these two remarkable young women. While three have OGM and others a lot of hype, press and whatnot ~ Michelle and Irina have had outlandish success at careers doing what they love... a true blessing.

So true!

Enero

On the Ice
I hope that if there is a surgery, it goes well. Unlike with Lipinski and Yagudin, I feel that Michelle is a person to have the sense to listen to doctor´s instructions and patience of not coming onto the ice way too early.

Yeah,
Hopefully she won't repeat Torino where she obviously got back in the game too soon and ended up hurting herself more.

I wish her well. It's probably wishful thinking, but I hope she can come back and at least do one more amatuer competition. Perhaps Nationals 2008, before she hangs up her amatuer skates for good.