Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelle's injury/surgery?

Down With It
    Depends on if the viewership is there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I thought the skaters do wear harnesses when they are 1st learning certain jumps. I kinda remember seeing video of Sasha wearing harness while she was attempting to learn a quad.
    That is interesting to know, I have never seen that.

And to ensure that I am not being misunderstood, I do think that it is dangerous, just stating how FS is too and what people who aren't aware of FS should know about the dangers. Particularly what they are landing on even with success.

And if the Olys were any example, we may start seeing pads on the boards granted the rink is large enough.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    And if the Olys were any example, we may start seeing pads on the boards granted the rink is large enough.
    Speaking of rink size and the Olys (yes this is a major tangent but it isn't worth it's own thread)

When I was in Lake Placid a few weeks ago (I will post pictures once I have a free minute) they said that in Vancouver they already had NHL sized ice and were not planning on building international sized ice. Would the IOC really allow that?

Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    .....they said that in Vancouver they already had NHL sized ice and were not planning on building international sized ice. Would the IOC really allow that?
    That might be worth a thread.
    "How important is the rink size."

What ever happened to the theory, If you build it they will come?

Or should they be "adjusting their routines" to fit NHL?

I also have a feeling that a smaller rink might mean more injury. ??

Will the IOC stand for that?

I don't believe any Government will build an ice skating arena unless it won the bid for being the Olympic site. Maybe they could include it with a city sports center such as Chelsea Piers in NYC but there is no room at that sports center for much of an audience.

We have to thank our Hockey fans for getting the money together to build an ice arena

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I don't believe any Government will build an ice skating arena unless it won the bid for being the Olympic site. Maybe they could include it with a city sports center such as Chelsea Piers in NYC but there is no room at that sports center for much of an audience.
    Right, but Vancouver is the sight of the next Olympics, that is why I was wondering if the IOC would allow it. Wasn't there a competition a few years ago (and by that I mean anything from this past year to 1998 Olympics) that wasn't on international sized ice and all the skaters complained about it.

Also, have you ever seen a FSer learning a move with bungie cords / harness attached to both sides of them?

Yes indeedy - its quite common for skaters to gain confidence learning new jumps in a harness. Several of the skaters at our rink first go in the harness to learn the single axel.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Right, but Vancouver is the sight of the next Olympics, that is why I was wondering if the IOC would allow it. Wasn't there a competition a few years ago (and by that I mean anything from this past year to 1998 Olympics) that wasn't on international sized ice and all the skaters complained about it.
    Yes i seem to recall that too - the skaters were having particular problems with the sizing of their circular step sequences and quite a few had popped or missed jumps because the boards came up in them too quickly.

Ant

Here's a picture of Sarah Hughes working with a jumping harness.

http://www.pro-motionharness.com/ima...rah_hughes.jpg

Michelle's injury

I know it seems obvious that Michelle has a hip problem, but now a poster at another board is claiming that they recently had surgery at a certain clinic in Colorado and the rumor was that Michelle had recently come in and passed the hip screening with no problem :sheesh: I have no idea what to think, but I hope that eventhough Michelle is very private some announcement is made to clear up some of the confusion.

Regarding Michelle going pro - IIRC she has said several times that going pro doesn't interest her. Perhaps if her eligible career is over, she would still skate the COI tour for a couple of more years if she is physically able. The thought of not seeing her skate again makes me but I hope Michelle does what she needs and wants to do.

Maureen

"Passing the screening" might just mean that she was given the go-ahead for surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    "Passing the screening" might just mean that she was given the go-ahead for surgery.
    I think that too. there is always a pre surgery exam to see if the candidate's major organs can take the operation.

If the rumor is correct then she may have had or is about to have the corrective surgery for the hip. News from the Kwan camp is always slow.

Joe

Shoe Diva
    That is interesting to know, I have never seen that.
    SeaniBu - you can find a 30 second clip of this on youtube... type in sasha cohen quad and it should pop it for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    SeaniBu - you can find a 30 second clip of this on youtube... type in sasha cohen quad and it should pop it for you...
    Thanks for the link. It doesn't seem like it was effective for her, oh well. That now brings 2 questions to mind.

Were these Harnesses effective? They seem to me like they would give a false sense of security and lift.

Do skaters still use them?

Shoe Diva
    I've seen Alissa use the harness via Lifetime's show on skaters ~ so that might not be a good example... but I've seen pairs use them when taking new stunts to the ice, so maybe they are depending on the skater... My experience with single skaters have always been the ol' fashioned method of jump and if you don't land it, you try it again until you do...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast