Stephanie Rosenthal at Silicon Valley Open | Golden Skate

Stephanie Rosenthal at Silicon Valley Open

Mafke

Medalist
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_4129249

This article from a couple weeks ago said she would be competing at the Silicon Valley Open from Aug 16-19, and would be monitered by US skating officials for possible international assignments.

I wish her luck!

So do I, but from what I saw of her on youtube, she's not internationally competitive in terms of jumps. (She'd be multiple champion in some countries but she's got a lot of skaters ahead of her in the US).

It's skaters like her that make me wish there was a second discipline for single skaters, sort of halfway between dance and current singles skatings with an emphasis on footwork, posture and overall skating skills. The current singles priorities (quads and 3/3's uber alles) can get tiresome.

I

IcyBallerina

It would be nice to have a more "dancy" competition. However, I found it very heartening that she placed as well as she did without needing the big jumps- she beat many girls with harder jump elements because her artistry was miles away. :rock: to the judges for that call!

lisadotdash

Rinkside
It would be nice to have a more "dancy" competition. However, I found it very heartening that she placed as well as she did without needing the big jumps- she beat many girls with harder jump elements because her artistry was miles away. :rock: to the judges for that call!

I was going through my tapes last night and came upon her skate. She reminded me of a Mary Lou Retton who was all smiles and enthusiasm like a big cheerleader [of course May Lou had the total package], but Stephanie lacked the princess-like attitude and supreme confident elegance of the young major players like Ciszny, Taylor and Meissner I think if she doesn't develop some of that, it's going to hurt her.

debdelilah

On the Ice
Results

Stephanie came in fifth.

The messages said she had been dealing with a hamstring injury a week before the competition, and her jumps suffered, and some of the choreography had to be changed. But they also said she really "sold" the program, especially in the free skate.

Her total IJS score was 92.7.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The following music info is courtesy of "A.H.Black":

<< Some notes on Stephanie Rosenthal's programs this year.

Short - Steam Heat. Costume is basic black sleeveless with silver lapel accents on the front.

Long - The Constant Gardener film soundtrack - Costume is brown/maroon with dark sheer midriff fabric and muted pattern sheer fabric for skirt and bust line. Stephanie wanted to have an African theme this year and the step sequence is quite tribal. >>

Here is a photo of her SP outfit at Silicon Valley Open taken by kcr on Friday night:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinrushforth/218917943/

2006 Silicon Valley Open, August 16-19, San Jose, California

SENIOR LADIES SP / FS / Final results
1. Jacquelyn Garces 42.65 (1st in SP) / 81.73 (1st in FS) / 124.38 (overall)
2. Stephanie Zastrow 35.73 (5) / 65.24 (2) / 100.97
3. Jessica Martino 37.34 (3) / 62.85 (3) / 100.19
4. Crystal Shum 37.50 (2) / 59.03 (5) / 96.53
5. Stephanie Rosenthal 37.07 (4) / 55.10 (9) / 92.17
6. Joanna Webber GBR 31.11 (8) / 60.70 (4) / 91.81
7. Olivia Olsen 33.69 (6) / 54.76 (10) / 88.45
8. Victoria Muniz PUR 31.00 (9) / 57.29 (7) / 88.29
9. Laura Lipetsky 28.21 (10) / 56.02 (8 ) / 84.23
10. Katherine Specht 26.54 (11) / 57.57 (6) / 84.11
11. Tasha MaMoody 25.82 (12) / 47.61 (11) / 73.43
12. Lacey Merrell 23.04 (13) / 36.66 (12)/ 59.70
WD from FS: Margaret Wang 32.22 (7)

kcr's Brief Friday Report - Senior Ladies SP (reposted with permission)

1. Jacquelyn Garces [Movie Music I didn't recognize] - landed 2-axel,
fall on 3-lutz, landed 3-flip, skated with good speed throughout.

2. Crystal Shum [Middle Eastern music?] - two-footed a 3-flip (I think it
was a triple), landed a 2-axel, fall on a triple jump (I looked away
for a second and didn't see the takeoff).

3. Jessica Martino - no notes at this time

4. Stephanie Rosenthal [Fosse-like] - nice 2-axel, 3-toe that she had to step
out of so no combo, nice layback, 2-sal, straight-line footwork,
death-drop, spiral sequence. This is a fun program and a nice effort
for her first time performing it. She'll add in more choreography
later.

5. Stephanie Zastrow [Big Band music?] - 2-axel, 3-toe/2-toe, 2-sal; nice
program, this was the first time I have ever seen her skate

6. Olivia Olsen [Time to Say Goodbye] - 3-toe/2-toe fall on 3-sal, 2-axel
Same music as last year

kcr's Saturday Report - Senior Ladies FS (reposted with permission):

1. Jacquelyn Garces [Cirque du Soleil] - 3-lutz/2-toe, 3-flip, 2-axel, 3-flip/2-toe, fall on 3-toe, 2-axel. Good speed and attack throughout. A well-deserved 1st place.

2. Stephanie Zastrow [Dark Eyes] - 2-axel, fall on 3-toe, 3-sal, 2-flip/2-toe/2-loop, 2-sal, under-rotated & two-footed 2-axel, step out of 2-flip.

3. Jessica Martino [Rachmaninov Piano Conc. #2] walley into 2-axel, 3-lutz, fall on 3-sal, nice ina bauer, 2-flip/2-toe, 2-loop, fall on 3-toe, 3-sal.

4. Crystal Shum (5th in FS) [Chinese music I didn't recognize] - 3-flip (maybe under-rotated), 3-toe, 3-sal, hard fall on 2-axel, 3-sal, fall on 3-toe, 2-lutz.

5. Stephanie Rosenthal (9th in FS) [The Constant Gardener] - 1-axel, footwork (straight-line?), 2-toe, sprial sequence, stepped out of 2-axel, good serpentine footwork, fall on an under-rotated 2-lutz.
Stephanie really sold this program. I found out yesterday that she has been skating injured with a pulled hamstring and was in a lot of pain. I give her major credit for being able to tough this out, and even more for never quitting on the program. I wish her a speedy recovery.

6. Joanna Webber (4th in FS) [some Broadway musical I didn't recognize] - fall on 3-sal, 3-toe, 2-lutz, 2-axel, two-footed 2-loop, 1-flip, 2-loop, another jump I didn't see.

Btw, Victoria Muniz landed a 3-toe/3-toe to a huge cheer. It looked clean to me. She then proceeded to lose focus (probably got too excited).

SENIOR MEN
1. Nicholas LaRoche 58.13 (SP) / 101.62 (FS)
2. Michael Villarreal 50.08 / 86.24
WD: Jordan Wilson
[Sylvia's note: At 2006 US Nationals, Villarreal finished 10th and LaRoche was 11th.]

kcr's Notes - Senior Men (reposted with permission):

Nicholas LaRoche SP (1st place) - [Moonlight Sonata] - 3-flip, 2-axel, 3-lutz/2-toe, nice program but he'll want a triple axel.

Nicholas LaRoche FS (1st place) - [medley including: Unchained Melody, the love theme from Robin Hood, and Unforgettable] - 3-loop, 2-axel, 3-flip/2-toe, 3-sal, 3-lutz, 2-toe, 3-lutz. Didn't try 3-axel. Gave up points by not tacking a 2-toe onto one of the lutzes.

Michael Villarreal SP (2nd) - [Sabre Dance] - fall on 3-axel, 3-flip/2-loop, 3-lutz.

Michael Villarreal FS (2nd) - [Concerto du Aranjuez] - *hard* fall on 3-axel,
3-flip/2-loop (I think), 3-lutz barely held on, 2-axel, had to stop due to something in his eye (an ice chip from his first fall?), continued program, 3-sal, 3-flip, fall on 3-toe. Gutsy performance, given that his eye was hurting and he must have had trouble seeing out of it.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Check out Mexico City soon to happen. She's listed as an alternate. Stephanie is still with us.
Joe, Stephanie is currently one of EIGHT U.S. JGP ladies alternates submitted to the ISU. :) I believe she was being monitored at Silicon Valley Open for a possible Senior B event, but since she was not able to be at her best at SVO due to her injury, I really don't know what the USFS' International Committee will decide to do. In any case, Stephanie is soon off to Yale University to start her freshman year there and she will be very busy this fall, regardless.

I just re-watched both her Nationals programs and was impressed all over again. She has better presentation than most medal contenders. And what a smile!!! And she should get a special medal for creativity.

Personally I can't help wishing she'd drop everything else and focus on getting those triples. She seems so darn good for the sport.

But I certainly wish her success in all she does.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
And while getting those triples, everything else goes out the window. It seems nowadays you either have an artist or a jumping bean. Choose one or the other.

And while getting those triples, everything else goes out the window. It seems nowadays you either have an artist or a jumping bean. Choose one or the other.
Well, first, artistry like that isn't something you lose.

Second, I don't have to choose! Yu Na Kim is already both, so is Elene G (though not AS strong technically), and IMO (tho' some differ) Mao is an artist as well as a jumper, or soon will be, as well. These three alone are going to make this an exciting season.

Unfortunately I can't place Kimmie in that category, and personally, I don't think it's likely to happen. Just like you don't lose artistry, you also don't get it just by practicing. But she's so diligent, I'm sure she will get better in some respects, and frankly it looks like she will get the PC marks anyway, at least when her technical performance is at its best.

It's too soon to say with Zhang, but from what we can see now, she's also in that category of those who have both strengths, and I'm sure there are others. Of course it's a rare combo, but we don't have to assume it's impossible, or gone with the wind.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Thanks for eh reports Syliva.

ONe question - I noticed that Joanne Webber from the UK was skating there - any inofrmation on why - is she training over in the states for the summer or is she over there permanently training?

Ant