TV Shows You Do Enjoy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TV Shows You Do Enjoy

E

elingrace4eva

Re: TV Shows You Do Enjoy

Six Feet Under. I'm an addict.

Rgirl, I wish he would have tortured Lisa, and I would have gotten to watch. I miss Brenda. Old Brenda.

M

maxell1313

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Sasha Cohen: 5 Gold Medals, the most of any US Women's Skater in 2003! Congratulations![/quote]

I believe Michelle won 5 golds in 2003...I only count Sasha with 4. What one am I missing?

Michelle:

Campbell's
Skate America
Nationals
Worlds
ABC Challenge cheesefest

Sasha:

Skate Canada
Trophee Lalique
GP Final
ISU cheesefest

L

Ladskater

Joe:

The show about the dept. show was "Are You Being Served?" A very funny show indeed! Yes, I love the British shows as well. My absolute favorite British show was "All Creatures Great and Small" and of course the series - "Upstairs, Downstairs" on Master Piece Theatre. I also loved "Dr. In the House."

Now I seem to be following ER and I used to watch Mash and Friends. Come to think of it there really is not alot on tv anymore - oh well, I have my Avengers tapes to fall back on.

Ladskater

P

Piel

Present...Six Feet Under, ER, H&G Channel, Sex in the City, Soul Food (Showtime Series), American Dreams

Past...Chicago Hope, P.D. James Mysteries on PBS favorite was "Shroud for a Nightingale", A Jewel In the Crown, also another favorite mini series that was on PBS "To Serve Them All of My Days"

Piel

J

Joesitz

Piel - Haven't seen a post of yours in ages. Welcome back and hope all is well.

Joe

R

rgirl181

Doris,
Crusader Rabbit! How could I forget?! And what was that one with "Help me, Mr Wizard!"? Oh, man, the Abominable Snowman/John Steinbeckian Bugs Bunny. Too hilarious for children. I saw a special on Tex Avery and all those guys who did Bugs Bunny et al. They had a little room on the studio lot where nobody bothered them and they just tried to make each other laugh all day.

I also forgot "I, Claudius"--great miniseries. A friend who is about 10 years younger than I said watching that show taught her what the world was really like. How true. Another favorite was "The Singing Detective" on PBS. I forgot about "All in the Family" too. People who are in their 20s can't imagine how controversial it was then.

For some reason I liked "Green Acres" but other than that, HATED sitcoms, still do and always have. "Seinfeld," "Friends," BLUCK!

I didn't mind laughing at Barney Fife because I knew Don Knotts was getting it A LOT in real life.

elingrace4eva
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Rgirl, I wish he would have tortured Lisa, and I would have gotten to watch. I miss Brenda. Old Brenda.[/quote] LOL, yours is a better idea than mine. I think if they would have made Lisa more tolerable it would have been a more interesting storyline. Although I did like the first few episodes with Catherine O'Hara as her boss. Boy, do I know women like that. The time they went camping and the preview showed Nate holding up that big stick, everyone on the 6FU message board was hoping he was going to use it on Lisa. My favorite time watching it though was when "I Killed Andy Warhol" was on (on another station) right after 6FU, so you got to watch Lily Taylor doing scewed up granola girl Lisa and then watch her do screwed up killer dyke Valerie Solanas.

Shows I forget to say: "South Park." One of my all time favorites. Love Gay Saddam Hussein. And how could I forget "The Larry Sanders Show!" I think most of the working world in the US runs like "The Larry Sanders Show." I also loved "Mystery Science Theater 2000" most of the time when it was on. Sometimes I got tired of it. But they did do some great shows.
Rgirl

P

Pookie

Rgirl, I'm a MST fan, also. I don't know if that's something a person should admit or not. :lol:
I haven't seen most of their earlier shows with Joel but I have seen most of them with Mike. I've started collecting episodes with Ebay.

4dogknight

Current - still in production:
Stargate - SG1
The District
The Agency
The Gardian
Judging Amy
The West Wing
Law and Order - all variations
CSI
Strong Medicine
The Dead Zone

No longer in production but shown in reruns:
Any Day Now
Star Trek - all, to coin a phrase, generations.
X Files - especially those not shot in someone's basement
Hercules
Murder She Wrote - selected episodes
Golden Girls
Poltergeist - The Legacy
Keeping Up Appearances
Fawlty Towers
Are You Being Served
The Vicar of Dilby
Waiting for God
Twilight Zone
Highlander
MASH
Banacek
The Avengers
Lois and Clark

Series I wish they'd show in reruns:
Millenium
Good Neighbors
To the Manor Born
Dr Who
Blake's Seven
Butterflies
Robin of Sherwood
Hondo
Checkmate
Space 1999

Mini Series / Specials I'd like to see again:
Centennial - bit the bullet and bought the tapes, already had the book
The Six Wives of Henry VIII
Elizabeth R
I Claudius - bit the bullet and bought the tapes, already had the book
A Town Like Alice - bit the bullet and bought the tapes, already had the book
Flambards - bit the bullet and bought the tapes, already had the book
Poldark I and II
Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version) - bit the bullet and bought the tapes, already had the book
Chiefs - bit the bullet and bought the tape, already had the book
Grass Roots - already had the book
Jaques Cousteau specials
National Geographic specials

Golden Oldies:
Victory at Sea
My Little Margie
Rocky and Bullwinkle
The Glovables
The Mickey Mouse Club - the original
American Bandstand
Your Show of Shows
Colgate Comedy Hour
Burns and Allen
Ozzie and Harriet
Laugh In

That's all I can think of right now.

4dk

R

rgirl181

Piel,
The brain fog rolled in and I forgot to say YESSSSS! about "To Serve Them All My Days." One of those series that made me read the book instead of vice versa.

I think I count four 6FU fans on this thread. I won't spoil anything in case anybody didn't see the season finale tonight and is waiting for one of the reruns this week, but I will say this: The episodes written and/or directed by 6FU's creator, Alan Ball (same guy who wrote "American Beauty" for any non-Sixies) seem MUCH better than the episodes done completely by the writing staff and other directors (although the gay paintball episode was pretty funny). It seems Alan Ball really understands the heart of the show and how to balance the drama with the black humor and both of those with insight into the human condition. Does anyone else get the feeling that they started going with the weird Arthur-Ruth storyline and midway through realized, "This is awful!" and did a quick change to the Ruth-George quickie relationship? Or maybe James Cromwell wanted too much money:lol:

Pookie,
I didn't know you could buy old MST2K episodes on Ebay. Good thing. I shouldn't even go look.
Rgirl

W

WindSpirit5

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Six Feet Under," though it seems to be suffering this season. I wish Nate would have just killed Lisa.[/quote] That was a good one! :rollin:

I don't know if I have changed or the series have really gone downhill. Last season I thought it's the best thing on television. It was intriguing, original, honest, almost... visionary. Now... I find many scenes boring. Last year I liked all the characters, now I can't stand Nate. And his relationship with his wife. Boring! (one thing over and over again). At this point I wouldn't mind if they killed him off. In the season finale he was being such an as*hole I was almost glad they gave him the treatment they gave Dr. Romano from ER (getting beaten in a bar). But while Romano is a magnificent as*hole, Nate was just annoying. I also don't like Keith anymore. He's become this bitchy, one-dimensional imitation of his previous self. But I love Arthur. He's so unreal (in a good sense) I always wait for him to snap out of it, and every time I think he's going to do it, he just goes on being his wacky, but always very courteous, self. Very original character, I hope they're going to keep him. Kudos to the actor, he's doing a <em>fantastic</em> job.

Other shows I enjoy (or did in the past):
<strong>Frasier</strong> - my very favorite show (was), I know most of the dialogues by heart.

<strong>Third Watch</strong>
<strong>ER</strong>

<strong>CSI</strong>
<strong>NYPD Blue</strong>
<strong>Seinfeld</strong>
<strong>Wings</strong>
<strong>Sex in the City</strong>
<strong>Oz</strong>

I'm also a sucker for real-life medical/crime shows.

R

rgirl181

Windspirit,
I agree that 6FU sort of lost its way this season and I agree with a lot of your assessments as to why certain characters fell flat. Except I like that Nate was such an annoying a**hole. I love to see likeable characters play truly unlikable aspects of themselves and I thought Peter Krause did a great job. Plus I thought I went back and forth--sick of Lisa, trying to work it out with Lisa ("I want you to lay on this rock...":evil: ); being friends with Brenda, then telling her to eff off, and now ??? Also, I liked what they did with Rico this season. And it still has unexpected killer moments, such as when Rush at her wedding "reception" (four people, lol) hears someone sobbing in the back part of the kitchen and the revelation of who that person is. I thought that was beautifully done. I like Arthur's character, they just don't seem to know what to do with him in a way that's integral to the Fisher family.

I watched the whole first season on DVD over a couple of days about a month or so ago and I felt some of the playful spark has gone out of the series. It's still great writing, interesting characters, pushing the envelope of how to present drama and black comedy, but somehow that magic thing that pulled it all together before, the sense of mystery and familiarity at the same time, wasn't there for most of this season, IMO. I liked the first few episodes Kathy Bates was in were very good. She directed several episodes, too. I think when shows naturally expand and there are more characters to deal with that it's very difficult to keep them all fully fleshed out. But for my money, it's still the best show going on TV.

I loved "Oz" too and was very sorry to see it go. That had some really interesting ways of presenting each episode, with the narrator and the context of history. I thought it didn't get enough appreciation.

Too bad 6FU didn't make Lisa's sister a twin and have her come back like the character Lily Taylor played in "I Shot Andy Warhol"--Valerie Solanas, butch lesbian who is trying to get Andy Warhol to publish her manifestor SCUM--Society for Cutting Up Men. I thought Lily Taylor was really good in that movie and it would sure be a hoot for Lisa's "sister" to be so unLisa like. Oh well, that's soap opera stuff, but I can dream:lol:
Rgirl

W

WindSpirit5

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And it still has unexpected killer moments, such as when Rush at her wedding "reception" (four people, lol) hears someone sobbing in the back part of the kitchen and the revelation of who that person is. I thought that was beautifully done. I like Arthur's character, they just don't seem to know what to do with him in a way that's integral to the Fisher family.[/quote] Maybe they know, but we still don't. ;) It's just hard to believe there isn't something more to him than they've showed us. I too liked the moment with Ruth and her dead husband... But the best part for me was the scene when Brenda opened the door and saw Nate. It was so emotionally charged, even though neither of them said a word. Suddenly I had my heart in my throat.

As for Lily Taylor, frankly I've never liked her. And 6FU wasn't any different. Her character made marriage look like hell. Nate was always the bad guy, because she was just "so perfect". I understand why he might have felt unhappy, and empty. And guilty ("I have everything, shouldn't I be happy?"). Oh btw, I loved Lisa's previous employer, the crazy woman? She was the only person who could challenge Lisa, and only with her Lisa seemed, I don't know, alive?

I also liked Claire's teacher. Surprisingly, because when I first saw him he seemed so fake I didn't think I'd like him. And I liked what they did with Claire; her character has really evolved. We'll see what the next season brings, I'll be watching. :)

E

Emerald2000

Most of the stuff on Comedy Central. Premium Blend, Comic Groove, CC presents, the daily show with John Stewart....some of the reruns of Saturday Night Live. Occasionally I'll watch something on the Travel/Discovery channel, but that's about it.

Some not-so-good TV shows:
--Friends (Never understood the hype.)
--Any reality TV show
--The Factor-something-or-other run by that idiot Bill O'Reilly
--7th Heaven. |I God I hate that show. Is that stale acting or what??

K

Kzarah

Does anybody watch runruns of Absolutely Fabulous. It shown on Comedy Central. If you are an Ab Fab fan, how did you enjoy the most recent movie. If you haven't seen AB FAB then you can look at video clips at www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/abfab/
It took me a while to become familiar with the English accent but it might not be as difficult for you.
Daniel and Little Lulu

P

Pookie

Someone mentioned Barney in the shows you hate thread. (I don't like it either). But I thought of a children's show I did like " Lambchop's Playalong." I always loved Shari Lewis and Lambchop when I was a kid and so it was fun to watch them again.

Does anyone know the end song?

<em>This is the song that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends,
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was
And they’ll continue singing it forever just because,
This is the song that never ends.... </em>

Now we'll see if that song runs through you mind all day just like it does to me. :lol: