Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Czisny wins DuPage Open with sizzling SP

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

This seems to be Alyssa's biggest challenge. When she makes a mistake, she has to be able to shake it off and regroup. Like Angela Nikodinov, it seems like an early mistake gets in her head and steals her confidence.
    Sad, but it seems that way.

I wonder if USFS is trying to send Alyssa a message by giving it's Skate America assignments to Meissner, Hughes and Taylor, rather than defending silver medallist Alyssa.
    The USFS beats to a different drummer than other Federations. Money talks and maybe Taylor will bring in more money.

Who wouldn't agree that she wins the hearts of viewers not unlike Nikidinov.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    BTW, she spells Alissa with an 'i'.
    And I was so proud of myself for learning how to spell "Czisny."

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I rather doubt it. USFS' International Committee tends to go by placement at the most recent Nationals, and Meissner, Hughes and Taylor finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th at 2006 Nationals,...
    This is the year for Katy Taylor to show that she belongs at the top. She had a great finish to her season last year, winning Four Continents in addition to her strong showing at Nationals.

Throughout their junior careers Katy and Kimmie were kind of grouped together as the next wave (also, they were depicted as good friends). Now that Kimmie has stolen a march on the competiton, it will be interesting to see if any of the other U.S. gals can challenge her.

Custom Title
    Has Alissa been able to put together a solid SP and FS in the same event in the last couple of years...essentially clean programs with allowances for minor errors?

Custom Title
    2006 Skate Canada was most likely her best competition to date (she won the SP and FS). She's had a tougher time being consistent at Nationals. To be fair, though, the majority of senior level skaters tend not to be very consistent in both SP and FS in the same competition, especially at the pressure cooker that is Nationals.

And I was so proud of myself for learning how to spell "Czisny."
    Yes, kudos to you for that! I've certainly seen her name spelled in a multitude of wrong ways over the years.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-17-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Down With It
    I wonder if USFS is trying to send Alissa a message by giving it's Skate America assignments to Meissner, Hughes and Taylor, rather than defending silver medallist Alissa.
    I don't think they're trying to send Alyssa any message at all. Remember IIRC she was a REPLACEMENT at SA (don't know about SC, though) and she just happened to do really well...in a severely weakened field as well. That's just the way it goes, I guess. And the above three may very well be the 2007 World team as well.

She's definitely a skater who's nice to watch. I don't know if she can be a serious medal contender, though.

On the Ice
    Alissa Czisny is one of my favorite skaters!
    I am so happy for her that she skated a clean short with 66 points!
    Does anyone know what her new long program music is to?

Oh, I don't know about that, Red Dog. Substitute or not, Alissa came out like gang busters last season. At Skate America she won the free skate and lost only to Sokolova overall, beating Onda, Liang and Hughes.

At Skate Canada she finished first (168 points) ahead of Rochette, Nakano, Meier, Kostner and Suguri. She was the only U.S. lady to make the GP Final (Kimmie didn't, for instance).

Unfortunately, it was all downhill after that. Still, IMHO if Alissa brings everything she's got I can see her contending against the world's best. I'm not sure I can say that about some of our other hopefuls.

Down With It
    She certainly came out as a rising star on her own. She earned the hype that followed her SA and SC showings, but tanked at the GPF (finishing last) and missed out on the US Nats podium.

We'll just have to see if any of the US ladies pull out this year. I'm pretty sure they'll name Alyssa to replace her. But the real test will be US nats. Like I said before, without Cohen and Kwan it seems very possible, maybe even probable that she can contend for a spot on the World team. But then you have Meissner, Taylor and Hughes to deal with. NOTHING is a done deal here. Remember the Olympics Irina was supposed to breeze past? The World championship that was practically supposed to be handed to Cohen?
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-17-2006 at 03:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AlissaCzisnyFan View Post
    Does anyone know what her new long program music is to?
    I mentioned what it *may* be in the FSU link.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydi7 View Post
    She is definitely a better spinner than Emily, Katie, Kimmie and BeBe. In my opinion she has all four beat with her grace and musicality.

However, if like another poster stated, she suffers from "Angela Nickodinov syndrome"
    Dizzy
    I agree that she's an awesome spinner, but disagree with comparing her to Angela Nickodinov... I think she's more like Lucinda Rhu... An exciting novelty act, but without the chutzpa needed to be a champ... Angela's was never an issue of talent (which I think might be true of Alissa...) but of competitive will power...

I do hope, however, that I'm wrong... she seems like such a sweet girl who works extremely hard... I just don't think she has the overall talent like Kimmie, Emily and BeBe... Having said that, I think Katie will be "the one."

Custom Title
    I wonder if USFS is trying to send Alissa a message by giving it's Skate America assignments to Meissner, Hughes and Taylor, rather than defending silver medallist Alissa.
    Is it possible that Alissa might prefer not to have two competitions (SA and SC "back to back")? I recall on other boards a lot of questioning on why certain other skaters (Johnny Weir, B & A) were not assigned to SA, and in both those cases it was at the skater's request. While Alissa doesn't have the medal weight of these other skaters, USFS might still be willing to accommodate her, as they have enough other ladies for an interesting event.
    Last edited by attyfan; 08-17-2006 at 05:17 PM. Reason: to add something

Down With It
    IIRC Czisny has had a pretty busy summer, right?

Maybe the skater wishes to pace herself. But she should be used to a hectic schedule...

The comparison to Nikidinov was to show that she has a problem once she falters in her program. I think most fans would agree that Angela had this problem and it was suggested that Alyssa seems to have the same problem.

Nobody compared their styles of skating. Don't know why this came up.

As to Alyssa's chances of becoming numero uno. It's possible but not likely because of her history of missing an element and not being able to get back into the swing of things. But the Gods may be with her.

Skate Canada will be another hot competition for the American Ladies: Alyssa and Katie battling it out before Nats and then there is Fumie (well seasoned skater), Mira Leung and the ever popular Yu Na Kim and away we go.

Joe

On the Ice
    Just to let you know, It's Alissa and Katy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast