Czisny wins DuPage Open with sizzling SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Czisny wins DuPage Open with sizzling SP

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if USFS is trying to send Alissa a message by giving it's Skate America assignments to Meissner, Hughes and Taylor, rather than defending silver medallist Alissa.

I don't think they're trying to send Alyssa any message at all. Remember IIRC she was a REPLACEMENT at SA (don't know about SC, though) and she just happened to do really well...in a severely weakened field as well. That's just the way it goes, I guess. And the above three may very well be the 2007 World team as well.

She's definitely a skater who's nice to watch. I don't know if she can be a serious medal contender, though.

AlissaCzisnyFan

Rinkside
Alissa Czisny is one of my favorite skaters! :)
I am so happy for her that she skated a clean short with 66 points! :clap:
Does anyone know what her new long program music is to?

Oh, I don't know about that, Red Dog. Substitute or not, Alissa came out like gang busters last season. At Skate America she won the free skate and lost only to Sokolova overall, beating Onda, Liang and Hughes.

At Skate Canada she finished first (168 points) ahead of Rochette, Nakano, Meier, Kostner and Suguri. She was the only U.S. lady to make the GP Final (Kimmie didn't, for instance).

Unfortunately, it was all downhill after that. Still, IMHO if Alissa brings everything she's got I can see her contending against the world's best. I'm not sure I can say that about some of our other hopefuls.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She certainly came out as a rising star on her own. She earned the hype that followed her SA and SC showings, but tanked at the GPF (finishing last) and missed out on the US Nats podium.

We'll just have to see if any of the US ladies pull out this year. I'm pretty sure they'll name Alyssa to replace her. But the real test will be US nats. Like I said before, without Cohen and Kwan it seems very possible, maybe even probable that she can contend for a spot on the World team. But then you have Meissner, Taylor and Hughes to deal with. NOTHING is a done deal here. Remember the Olympics Irina was supposed to breeze past? The World championship that was practically supposed to be handed to Cohen?

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
She is definitely a better spinner than Emily, Katie, Kimmie and BeBe. In my opinion she has all four beat with her grace and musicality.

However, if like another poster stated, she suffers from "Angela Nickodinov syndrome"
Dizzy

I agree that she's an awesome spinner, but disagree with comparing her to Angela Nickodinov... I think she's more like Lucinda Rhu... An exciting novelty act, but without the chutzpa needed to be a champ... Angela's was never an issue of talent (which I think might be true of Alissa...) but of competitive will power...

I do hope, however, that I'm wrong... she seems like such a sweet girl who works extremely hard... I just don't think she has the overall talent like Kimmie, Emily and BeBe... Having said that, I think Katie will be "the one."

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I wonder if USFS is trying to send Alissa a message by giving it's Skate America assignments to Meissner, Hughes and Taylor, rather than defending silver medallist Alissa.

Is it possible that Alissa might prefer not to have two competitions (SA and SC "back to back")? I recall on other boards a lot of questioning on why certain other skaters (Johnny Weir, B & A) were not assigned to SA, and in both those cases it was at the skater's request. While Alissa doesn't have the medal weight of these other skaters, USFS might still be willing to accommodate her, as they have enough other ladies for an interesting event.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
IIRC Czisny has had a pretty busy summer, right?

Maybe the skater wishes to pace herself. But she should be used to a hectic schedule...

The comparison to Nikidinov was to show that she has a problem once she falters in her program. I think most fans would agree that Angela had this problem and it was suggested that Alyssa seems to have the same problem.

Nobody compared their styles of skating. Don't know why this came up.

As to Alyssa's chances of becoming numero uno. It's possible but not likely because of her history of missing an element and not being able to get back into the swing of things. But the Gods may be with her.

Skate Canada will be another hot competition for the American Ladies: Alyssa and Katie battling it out before Nats and then there is Fumie (well seasoned skater), Mira Leung and the ever popular Yu Na Kim and away we go.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Alissa has the talent, IMO more so than Kimmie, Taylor or Hughes to be a standout star but we all know it also takes mental toughness. I hope that
she finds that toughness otherwise ........

rjulie510

Rinkside
I agree that Alissa has a lot of talent. She has difficult and fast spins and nice spirals. She's flexible and has nice style. That being said, her jump technique needs to be cleaned up, and she needs to be more consistent and rise to the occasion. The latter will be helped once she gets more experience -I'm just worried about her jump technique. Working on jump technique is no easy task, and usually takes time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Is Alyssa planning to go back to college this fall? If so that could mean splitting time in half and us college students know how demanding a full semester can be.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
From what I know, Alissa is very serious about her education and her official site says she is a full-time college student at Bowling Green State University in Ohio (I believe she's on a full scholarship which may require full-time attendance?).

R.D.

Record Breaker
ah. I don't think she could possibly have time then to really become a top-level skater. But as long as she's happy where she is, that's fine.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
ah. I don't think she could possibly have time then to really become a top-level skater. But as long as she's happy where she is, that's fine.

I agree. Unfortunately I think carrying a full time school schedule will limit the training time she needs to address her problems like consistency and jumps.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That said, the fact she is able to get where she is now even while attending school/college full time is very impressive.

Wouldn't ot be great of Alyssa could swing both the competitions and the schoolwork?

Hasn't she gone to some big name coaches and got David Wilson to choreograph for her. That's taking skating seriously. Maybe her schoolwork will suffer.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
IIRC, she didn't switch coaches, but attended a seminar or camp by Ilia Kulik who worked with her on her jumps. I would love to see Alissa have a strong year. I find her to be the best spinner among US ladies since...maybe forever! I think she's more flexible than Sasha, and that may be part of her issue on jumps, combined with no so great technique and lack of nerves. I think she's shows a lot of personality and is very charismatic. I find her style and presence on the ice more appealing than Kimmie, Katie or Emily. I'd prefer Bebe to Alissa...if only Bebe could be more consistent...

Wasn't Alissa training a 3flip/3toe for a while? I don't know if she had any consistency with it, but I guess that's why her SP layout was 3lz, 3flip/2toe and 2a.