Questions for people GOING to Skate America in Hartford, CT (I need help) | Golden Skate

Questions for people GOING to Skate America in Hartford, CT (I need help)

Jasper

Final Flight
Questions for people GOING to Skate America in Hartford, CT (I need help)

So I would like to get all-event passes from Thursday to Sunday, and I've just called and been told that all Platinum passes (out of my price range anyway) are sold out and those seats are the first 8 rows. Apparently Gold passes (from rows 9 - 15, approx.) are $195 and the Silver (rows 16 and up) are about 70 bucks cheaper. Is it worth it to spend the extra 70 bucks on better seats? I haven't watched figure skating live in a really really long time and I don't remember - can you really appreciate it from high up or is it signifcantly better lower down? (I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I am on a student cost range here, lol.) Also, how do practices work? Can you get as close to the rink as you want for pictures, autographs, etc. or do you have to stay in the same seats that you are assigned for the competition part? And are the practice schedules released ahead of time?

Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost ready to book tickets, but I heard that doesn't start until next week. And I think I'm gonna take a train and stay in a hostel. Who else is going? :)

P.S. Are we 100% sure yet that ice dance teams D/V and Den/Stav will be there as scheduled?

Oh I want to go so badly. :p

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The Zaretskis have replaced Drobiazko/Vanagas -- link to Skate America roster as of 8/15/06 (roster changes may still happen, so best not to go just to see specific skaters): http://www.isufs.org/events/fsevent00009359.htm

If saving $70 is important to you, then I say go for the Silver all-event ticket (you might be able to move down ;)). Practices are usually general seating unless there are roped-off areas for coaches/officials/credentialed people.

You can book all-event tickets now. Single event tickets have gone on sale as of today.

It's a different experience to sit at ice level -- you get to see the skaters whiz past at 100 miles per hour and jump right in your face, so that's pretty cool.

But IMO, as far as actually seeing the whole performance, the seats a little farther back are better.

About practices, these are usually very sparsely attended and you can sit wherever you want. The practice schedule is announced well in advance.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
It's a different experience to sit at ice level -- you get to see the skaters whiz past at 100 miles per hour and jump right in your face, so that's pretty cool.

:agree: There is nothing quite like that and the breeze as they go by. Also the sounds are much clearer to hear. And if you are lucky you might get some eye contact.:biggrin:

As Sylvia was saying too, you might be able to move down for less then if you purchased up front, of course you will have to go through the ticket line during and might be getting in the seat as someone is skating - even free if you are lucky and no one "bumps" you.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have had both seats and very much prefer the up higher seats. The reason being is you see more. I don't really like the closer seats and thank god because no matter what I won't pay the price for them. I also take pictures and use a zoom so the higher up the better.

Practices are fun, and you can sit anywhere as long as you don't bother the skater and the coaches while they are practicing. I've noticed that the skaters are very willing to sign autographs and take pictures after their practice session is over.

Have fun!!!

Dee

I prefer a seat on a balcony up front. If not a seat about in row 10 on the main floor will do. To have a full view of the house satisfies my curiosity whether the skater can cover it. Remember, you will not get close-ups like you get on TV, but on the plus side, you will see everyone in the competition.

Usually, one can see some skaters and coaches who tend to look casually from the back rows of the arena. There are so many sightings.

If you get caught (and this is only an if) the usher will tell you not to sit there, so all you have to do is move to another seat (not necessarily your own). depending on the interest sans Cohen and Kwan this season, the Ladies Division may sell out and it's difficult to find empty seats during Ladies.

Joe

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
I'm going to chime in as someone who has been to the Hartford Civic Center. If you could guarentee that you would be in the front of the silver section, I would say do it. In my opinion the best seats are 3/4 up the gold section. You can see the whole rink from there but you are close enough to get a good view. I think that if you get stuck further back in the silver section you will be too far away. The seats that I would recomend in the Civic Center are the back of the Gold and the from the front of the Silver. I would make the judgement call based on how likely you think you are to get seats near the front of the silver section.

Jasper

Final Flight
I'm going to chime in as someone who has been to the Hartford Civic Center. If you could guarentee that you would be in the front of the silver section, I would say do it. In my opinion the best seats are 3/4 up the gold section. You can see the whole rink from there but you are close enough to get a good view. I think that if you get stuck further back in the silver section you will be too far away. The seats that I would recomend in the Civic Center are the back of the Gold and the from the front of the Silver. I would make the judgement call based on how likely you think you are to get seats near the front of the silver section.

Do you know how to guarantee a higher up silver seat? Does buying the ticket earlier in advance help? Thanks for your expertise since you've actually been to the Hartford Civic Center before!

And thanks to everyone in this forum, you've all been incredibly helpful. I think I will go with the silver tickets for the best view of the entire ice rink. And I really can't wait to get up close for some practice sessions too. Frankly there's not much to do in Hartford, so I'll be happy to stay at the rink all day. Yay for Skate America!!!!

P.S. I think the choice of a "platinum" ticket was dumb. Can anyone say, "gold, silver, bronze"?

Jasper

Final Flight
And it's too bad D/V have withdrawn, although pretty much expected. I think the rest of the field is still good and worth seeing, although hopefully no more withdrawals!!!

Jasper

Final Flight
Do you know what the link is to purchase tickets online? I found it before and should have bookmarked it, but sadly...

The Hartford arena site says go to ticketmaster for on-line purchases.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/878883

BTW, to me, the practice sessions are the best part of the event. You get to see who's working on what, plus many of the skaters/teams do complete run-throughs.

The skaters are well aware of the audience (judges sometimes attend, too), and they are eager to strut their stuff and put on a show. It's like your own private little cheesefest! (Plus, sometimes you can sneak in for free.) :)

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Do you know how to guarantee a higher up silver seat? Does buying the ticket earlier in advance help? Thanks for your expertise since you've actually been to the Hartford Civic Center before!

P.S. I think the choice of a "platinum" ticket was dumb. Can anyone say, "gold, silver, bronze"?

You want lower silver or higher gold. I don't think there is any way to guarentee it. It's just a judgement call of whether you would be buying soon enough to get the lower seats. Right now they havent told those of us who have already purchased all-event passes what seats we have.

There is a bronze level ticket. They are the nose-bleed seats and you can't get all-event passes for them.

heyang

Record Breaker
Usually the closer seats are considered 'best available'. If you've got high speed internet access, you could probably got to ticket master and search for best avail under silver and compare to best avail under gold. With the seating chart, you'll be able to figure out the difference in rows.

What I've always disliked about best avail is that most of the time, best avail is based upon row, it should really include section. So, it's realy important to consider the section, too. Center ice behind the judges is best, of course. The corners and the end - not so great.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Usually the closer seats are considered 'best available'. If you've got high speed internet access, you could probably got to ticket master and search for best avail under silver and compare to best avail under gold. With the seating chart, you'll be able to figure out the difference in rows.

However, I believe we are talking about all event passes which are not available on ticket master as far as I know.

Jasper

Final Flight
Right now I'm frustrated because I can't speak to anyone at the Hartford Civic Center (all stupid automated messages) and ticketmaster keeps selling individual day tickets. They have no clue about all-event passes on ticketmaster but I do know that Platinum is sold out so some people must be finding ways to purchase all-event tickets! I'm gonna keep calling Hartford Civic Center until I can speak to someone. Oh gosh, I hope they're not all sold out already! I wasn't home this past week to purchase them.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Right now I'm frustrated because I can't speak to anyone at the Hartford Civic Center (all stupid automated messages) and ticketmaster keeps selling individual day tickets. They have no clue about all-event passes on ticketmaster but I do know that Platinum is sold out so some people must be finding ways to purchase all-event tickets! I'm gonna keep calling Hartford Civic Center until I can speak to someone. Oh gosh, I hope they're not all sold out already! I wasn't home this past week to purchase them.

Have you tried calling the sports management group listed on the website? I think you have to leave a message and then call them back, but that is how I got mine. Not by calling the civic center box office directly. I am sure they are not sold out.