New Sasha Journal and Updated Calendar | Golden Skate

New Sasha Journal and Updated Calendar

What is that ProAm skate at Campbells? I didn't see anything on the ISU site that mentioned it to be a ProAm. Without Kwan it is hard to sell that competition so changing it to a ProAm and getting Sasha signed up may pay off the expenses.

I always thought she would want to defend her title at US Nats, but she got so blinded with Hollywood stardust that taking the year off (which was reported, I believe) kind of made me forget about heer and the US Nats.

So maybe Hollywood is not giving her stardom. Just a small part in a Will Ferrel movie.

It seems to me that she has become very Kwanized in letting fans know her exact plans which, of course, are subject to change.

Joe

I wonder if that's a mistake on the part of Sasha's web master. Hartford is the site of Skate America. Maybe the person who writes Sasha's journal got confused about the location of Campbell's (Cincinnati). (?)

The "pro-am" scheduled for mid-October -- that must be Campbell's, right? No other event is listed on her calendar.

Some of the cheesefests in the past have been pro-ams.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Some of the cheesefests in the past have been pro-ams.

Weren't nearly all the cheesefests also pro-ams until the '02/'03 season? I recall hearing somewhere that there were format changes after SLC, when MK stopped doing GPs (to evade ISU rules prohibiting pro-ams for skaters who didn't do GP) -- and the current rules were a reaction to Plushy opting out of a GP event, when he had an ice show on the same night.

R.D.

Record Breaker
cause that's what they are, Duh. Only armchair skate fans call them "cheesefest"

I think Eeyora may be correct.

To have a ProAm there has to be Eligible and NonEligible skaters participating.

When was the last time a ':pro" (show) skater participated in Campbells? Anyone remember?

Joe

When was the last time a ':pro" (show) skater participated in Campbells? Anyone remember?
I don't know about Campbell's, but I think that last true pro-am in the U.S. was the 2001 Hershey's Kisses Challenge.

The team of Dorothy Hamill, Michelle Kwan, Matt Savoie and Michael Weiss edged out Rudy Galindo, Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen and Tim Goebel, with the team of Nancy Kerrigan, Todd Eldredge, Angela Nikodinov and Jenny Kirk third.

It was the only time I ever saw Michelle upstaged in an exhibition event -- Dorothy was just :love: :love: :love:

It was really cool to see Dorothy and Michelle interacting off ice. They were obviously good friends, from their touring days together with COI.

I think Attyfan is right. After the 2002 Olympics the ISU changed the rules to forbid eligible skaters to take place in "contests" that were not held under ISU auspices.

The spring 2006 Japanese cheesefest was advertised as a pro-am, with Alexei Yagudin and Takeshi Honda holding up the "pro" end. However, in order for the eligibles (such as Mao Asada) to participate, the scoring had to be under the ISU judging system by ISU judges. Yags and Takeshi brought up the rear in CoP points.

BTW, in the 2001 event Dorothy did (IIRC) a double loop and a single delayed Axel, and got 5.7s and 5.8s for tech, to go along with 5.9s and 6.0s for presentation.

I don't think any professional skaters would want to be involved in a contest with eligibles -- even a just-for-fun one -- if it is going to be judged under ISU rules. When they let Michelle Kwan and Alexei Yagudin compete as amateurs in the 2002 World Professional Championship, the pros (Brian Boitano and Kristi Yamaguchi, for instance) opted out. That was pretty much the death of that event.

Last edited:
I see that Sasha's journal entry has been corrected now to Cincinnati instead of Hartford for the "mid-October pro-am," so that means Campbell's for sure.

I agree with Joe -- I doubt that we will see any pros at this "pro-am." Although it is possible that someone like Arakawa, who just announced her retirement this year, might come.