Thread: When you realized you were "old"

Hybrid View

When you realized you were "old"

OLD is the relative term here.

For example I realized today when I was at my friend's memorial service and most of my friends I haven't seen in years were saying, "when you get to be our age..." and their 2 kids are running around at 4 and 5....

As well I can remember when I turned 13 and said, "I am older now and need to start a riding 10 speeds."

Something in your memory?

On the Ice
    I'm not 'old' by any means, but definitely have those 'moments' now and again when I feel like it!

- When the kids I taught to skate in preschool are now seniors...

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I'm 24, but alot of the kids in children's church are 18, now, and I was 15 when I was a helper! It weirds me out, sometimes.

Tripping on the Podium
    When I started hearing music I liked on the classic rock station.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    When I started hearing music I liked on the classic rock station.

That is so true. I hear music my parents would complain about on the station they listen to now. Of all things the radio satiation is called KOSI (cosy).
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 08-20-2006 at 12:00 PM.

when I realized that all of the Miss Usa contestants were younger than me....

When my youngest cousin started college. She is 12 1/2 years younger than me and she turned 5 the year I started college. It helped when we all remembered that she skipped a year in school. LOL! She's now been married for 6 years and had their 1st child last December.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    When I could no longer thread a needle without using a magnifying glass! Also when I could no longer read the small print (ISBN numbers) on books I was putting through on the cash register!!

When the daughter of someone I know asked if it was true that Paul McCartney used to be in a band before "Wings" !!! :chorus:

Actually, I don't feel old at all (I'm 45)--except for occasional lapses. Never been in better shape in my life, never felt better (for the most part). My 12 year old daughter--an athlete--and I can wear a lot of each other's clothes (I had a lot of health challenges this year and lost 50 lbs.) I simply decided that age is an attitude. When I see people in their 70s riding bicycles, people in their 50s surfing, I am totally inspired. I want to be one of those people. I see women in their 30s with "old" attitudes and demeanors, and it scares me. It's like they've given up on themselves. I pray to God every single day for good health and the ability to maintain it to the best of my abilities.
    Last edited by RealtorGal; 08-22-2006 at 04:45 PM.

yeay RG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *HUGS* I have missed ya!

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    What a PRICELESS question with IMPECCABLE timing, given that I just had my 39th birthday this weekend.......

However -- let's see.

What always stuns me into reality about my age (which I don't really think about all that much) is thinking about how old my friend's children are, most notably my friend Shelley (most of my other friends with children have little ones). Shelley had her daughter when I was 21 or 22; over the years when I realize HOW OLD SARA IS NOW, that gives me pause. Where did the time go?

Working with co-workers considerably younger than yourself can make you realize how "old" you are, too. I remember about 10 years ago, I was working a banquet set-up job with a bunch of people in their early 20s (even my boss was barely 21 and if that alone isn't enough to make you want to go out and buy a cane....). One time, I was trying to move a table through a doorway and one of the guys I worked with (he was about 19) was standing in the doorway and I said "Toot toot -- yeah -- beep beep [my own rather obnoxious variation on "Comin' thru"] and then said 'If you don't get out of my way I will be forced to start singing Donna Summer's Greatest Hits and believe me when I say to you that you do not want that." To which he replied, "Who's Donna Summer?" I got a similar query at my next job only the question was "Who's Roseanne Rosanna Danna?" (and I can't remember how RRD came up, but I certainly remember being asked the question....)

Rinkside
    A couple years back, a friend was visiting with his 10 year old daughter. She noticed the several hundred vinyl LPs I have and asked, "What are those?"

Sometimes when talking to a tween or teen, I'll add in, "When I was your age..." and watch as the eyes begin to glaze, until I add, "...I made myself a promise to never forget what it was like to be your age." I find it very helpful when trying to connect.

Ah well, you only as old as you feel. See sig...

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    When I have to instruct students how to fill out a cheque when they are paying for their books.

I remember when jeans were called dungarees(sp). It was so long ago
    I forget how to spell the word.