Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When you realized you were "old"

I'll let you know when I get old.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    When I could no longer thread a needle without using a magnifying glass! Also when I could no longer read the small print (ISBN numbers) on books I was putting through on the cash register!!

I know I'm not old... and I can't wait to be "30, flirty, and thriving" lol

but I was told the other day by my kindergarten girls class that I am "very old" and I better get married soon so I can have kids, because I can't wait around forever

*sigh* and here I thought 80 was old

When the daughter of someone I know asked if it was true that Paul McCartney used to be in a band before "Wings" !!! :chorus:

Actually, I don't feel old at all (I'm 45)--except for occasional lapses. Never been in better shape in my life, never felt better (for the most part). My 12 year old daughter--an athlete--and I can wear a lot of each other's clothes (I had a lot of health challenges this year and lost 50 lbs.) I simply decided that age is an attitude. When I see people in their 70s riding bicycles, people in their 50s surfing, I am totally inspired. I want to be one of those people. I see women in their 30s with "old" attitudes and demeanors, and it scares me. It's like they've given up on themselves. I pray to God every single day for good health and the ability to maintain it to the best of my abilities.
    Last edited by RealtorGal; 08-22-2006 at 04:45 PM.

yeay RG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *HUGS* I have missed ya!

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    What a PRICELESS question with IMPECCABLE timing, given that I just had my 39th birthday this weekend.......

However -- let's see.

What always stuns me into reality about my age (which I don't really think about all that much) is thinking about how old my friend's children are, most notably my friend Shelley (most of my other friends with children have little ones). Shelley had her daughter when I was 21 or 22; over the years when I realize HOW OLD SARA IS NOW, that gives me pause. Where did the time go?

Working with co-workers considerably younger than yourself can make you realize how "old" you are, too. I remember about 10 years ago, I was working a banquet set-up job with a bunch of people in their early 20s (even my boss was barely 21 and if that alone isn't enough to make you want to go out and buy a cane....). One time, I was trying to move a table through a doorway and one of the guys I worked with (he was about 19) was standing in the doorway and I said "Toot toot -- yeah -- beep beep [my own rather obnoxious variation on "Comin' thru"] and then said 'If you don't get out of my way I will be forced to start singing Donna Summer's Greatest Hits and believe me when I say to you that you do not want that." To which he replied, "Who's Donna Summer?" I got a similar query at my next job only the question was "Who's Roseanne Rosanna Danna?" (and I can't remember how RRD came up, but I certainly remember being asked the question....)

Rinkside
    A couple years back, a friend was visiting with his 10 year old daughter. She noticed the several hundred vinyl LPs I have and asked, "What are those?"

Sometimes when talking to a tween or teen, I'll add in, "When I was your age..." and watch as the eyes begin to glaze, until I add, "...I made myself a promise to never forget what it was like to be your age." I find it very helpful when trying to connect.

Ah well, you only as old as you feel. See sig...

When I realized I could be a grandma

Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    "When I was your age..." and watch as the eyes begin to glaze, until I add, "...I made myself a promise to never forget what it was like to be your age."
    That is awesome!!!!

Being as Catherine Zeta Jones and I are the same age and I looked at who she married.....
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 08-22-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Rogue Leader
    Recently at work my boss made a comment about someone on TV playing his old 45s, and a girl asked what 45s are.

At Blue Jays baseball games, when each player comes up for his first at bat, they show some of his stats, including his age. Last summer my brother and I went to a game, and realized we were older than most of the players. We were 27 and 30 at the time. Only one player was older than my brother.

I also feel old when I realize I'm past the age that kids think it's cool to be. As a kid, I remember thinking how cool and smart I would be at 16. Now I look back at my 16 year old self and think, "you knew nothing". I'm sure I will continue to have those moments each time I look back at a younger version of myself.

Rinkside
    I've been asked if I would like to be (plug in age here), and my reply is, "Only if I can take this 50+ brain with me."

Custom Title
    Several times lately I have noticed this unsettling trend.

I need to grow longer arms because I can't read the menu without my cheater glasses. And I often need glasses to find my glasses.

Nobody ever wants to see my ID.

I walk down the street and someone whistles and I suddenly realize it's my 13 year old they're looking at.

My knees pop louder than Rice Krispies in the morning.

I can pull a muscle getting a can of tomato sauce off the top shelf in the kitchen.

All the cops look like kids and my doctor seems awfully young, too.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles View Post

At Blue Jays baseball games, when each player comes up for his first at bat, they show some of his stats, including his age. Last summer my brother and I went to a game, and realized we were older than most of the players. We were 27 and 30 at the time. Only one player was older than my brother.
    Yeah, I forgot about the "relative age to athletes" aspect of the whole thing. I remember back when all the skaters (I'm using the ladies in this example as they tend to be the youngest) were older than I was, then long about the Debi Thomas-Caryn Kadavy era they were exactly the same age, and now -- oh forget it. No one my age would be caught dead at Nationals. Well. Maybe dead....

On a semi-related note -- down here in San Diego, we get a lot of news footage of the sailors coming home from deployment in Iraq, and it's hard for me to look at it without at least ONCE saying, "Oh, my God, what are they, 12??????"

I should be studying!
    Yeah, when Michelle Kwan came on the scene at age 12, I was a teenager. It was a realization that I'll never be a world-class skater and make it to the Olympics. (BTW, I've only passed through ISIA Alpha).

This week, when I turned 25.

I'm in the midst of a quarter life crisis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast