Campbell's format announced | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Campbell's format announced

Sorry to break up the conversation, but when is Campbell's being televised?
:rofl: :rofl: Sunday, October 15th, 1-3 Eastern Standard Time on ABC in the United States. The men's and ladies' part of the competition is scheduled to be shown live. No word yet on whether the pairs and dance segment will be shown later.

OK, back to business...:rofl: At 2004 worlds I thought Lindemann's verve and enthusiasm raised his performance to the same level as Lambiel's, countering Lambiel's superior flow and style.

I think the judges were pleased that Lindemann skated well enough that they could, with a clear conscience, give him the benefit of "home cooking."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
All I have to say about this event...........I'm SO going and I plan to enjoy every minute. A skating event in Cincinnati!? That NEVER happens and I will be there with bells on!! YAY CINCY!! :rock: :agree: :bow: :clap: :biggrin:

Team G/P Represent!!!! WOOT!

HAve a rocking good time, Hez!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I'm not so sure its such an easy win for Lambiel on jumps though just because he has the quads, because he doesn't "have" the triple axel in the same way that Weir does. Arguably i think Weir's jumps are more beautiful with greater flow into and out of and lovely deep running edges out of them too. Of course Weir's problem is that he's incapable of actually putting in 8 Jumping passes into his LP so he throws marks down the drain that he realyl can't afford to do.

Ant

Maybe but under COP scoring Lambiel's 2 quads will automaticaly put him ahead unless he misses atleast 2 more jumps then Weir. A program maximizing its potential points, assuming bonus points are the same too, with 2 quads would be worth 7.2 more in the long with 2 quads, and 3.5 more in the short with 1 quad, then ones with no quad in either. So unless Lambiel blows and Weir is clean, or if Weir misses any jumps Lambiel misses atleast 2 more jumps, Lambiel will score higher on the jumps under COP every time due to the quads unless Weir also has the same quads. Weir is not even going to come close to making up those kind of points on GOE, the only one who might be able to do that sort of thing is Plushenko, nobody else. To me that makes it an easy win on the jumps for Lambiel since Weir has not been making less mistakes then Lambiel since atleast a year and a half ago.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sure, even I, the one dubbed "most negative" by many posters, am willing to do that. If anyone else doesn't they're just a stick in the mud (by their own standard).

Of course USFS will give Meissner "top billing"- she's the best U.S. ladies skater around at this time.

Hah! Phooey on that! Sasha will blow her off the ice at Campbell's.

Oh wait, I mean Miki will.

Has there been any announcement yet about who will be on the Japanese team?

Lucy25

Final Flight
She may be world champ but she skates like Tonya & has decided not to do anything risky her programs. How boring.
I don't even understand what this post means. You can not possibly be talking about Kimmie Meissner, the girl who risked two 3/3's in her first senior Worlds competition. And how in the world does she skate like Tonya? Because they both have landed the 3ax in competition?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hah! Phooey on that! Sasha will blow her off the ice at Campbell's.

Oh wait, I mean Miki will.

Has there been any announcement yet about who will be on the Japanese team?

err, best YOU-ESS skater, MM :laugh:

Campbell's is not a real competition. Anyway KM is the best [competitive] skater in the World as of now, and that could imply she's the best in the US as well.

I see KM, Mao Asada and Miki Ando as RISK-TAKERS in skating. That's what we want. They have guts to go and try something new/harder, even if it means falling or losing out on Medals.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
She may be world champ but she skates like Tonya & has decided not to do anything risky her programs. How boring.

Kimmie risked a 3 axel in her very first US senior nats. She did two 3-3s in her first world championships. She already said she wants to get the triple axel back in her programs. I'd say she takes enough risks. And she skates far better than Tonya. I hope she wins Nats this year so its her face we see on the USFS home page banner.

Campbell's is not a real competition. Anyway KM is the best [competitive] skater in the World as of now, and that could imply she's the best in the US as well.
Kimmie is World Champ but Mao wasn't there. It's at least debatable which is better. (I'd say Mao.) And since Yu Na beat Mao... It doesn't seem to me that there is one dominant skater at all right now.

Red Dog said:
I see KM, Mao Asada and Miki Ando as RISK-TAKERS in skating. That's what we want. They have guts to go and try something new/harder, even if it means falling or losing out on Medals.
:) True, they are all risk-takers. Personally, I look for the "complete package" more than the TES record-breakers. But of these three I think Mao and Miki could be "complete" skaters soon. I'm not so sure re Kimmie.

My main question: will USA or Japan win? I hope US but predict Japan. I guess either side could win if the other has a collective bad day.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

Of course they are RISK-TAKERS now - they are teenagers KM-16, Mao-16, Miki-17. It has always been that way for the young talented skaters, upping the ante. Lets see if they can keep that technical pace into their twenties.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mao-16, Miki-17. It has always been that way for the young talented skaters, .

Mao is still 15, soon~! and that really doesn't matter to your point but until the latter part of next month she is still 15.:laugh:

Oh, and Miki is 19, 20 in Dec.

I am also now starting to recall a LOT of "safe than sorry young skaters. I would instantly put Yuka in that category and am tempted to say Tonya and Kristi...

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kimmie is World Champ but Mao wasn't there. It's at least debatable which is better. (I'd say Mao.) And since Yu Na beat Mao... It doesn't seem to me that there is one dominant skater at all right now.

Ok, why don't we just get 'em all in a rink and throw together a makeshift competition? :party: :party2: That'll settle this down once and for all.

I believe Meissner and that Yu Na girl face off in France later this year. Provided they both show up, that's going to be a match for the future, a fight for the next dominant role.

I don't know about Asada. I assume she'll get assigned to NHK and some other GP event (don't know which one).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Of course they are RISK-TAKERS now - they are teenagers KM-16, Mao-16, Miki-17. It has always been that way for the young talented skaters, upping the ante. Lets see if they can keep that technical pace into their twenties.

True. And often times you WANT to push the envelope but can't because that body of yours won't cooperate. Oh, if you could just swap 'em out.

I hope she wins Nats this year so its her face we see on the USFS home page banner.

Oh, I believe she will. National Championships, notably the US one, have a tendency to be REAL predictable. Even if she doesn't, can't go wrong with Hughes or Taylor as US Champ.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ok, so KM/MA at SA and KM/YuNa in France. There are your two big matchups provided the players show up.

It would make a better 'sports show' if there is risk taking.

The Ladies in past performances if I remember correctly, never did more than a triple lutz x double toe.

The Gentlemen usually never skate a clean routine.

However, with Mao making an appearance this may change. I think too, that Miki will want to show up Mao as well as the American gals.

Joe

I am also now starting to recall a LOT of "safe than sorry" young skaters. I would instantly put Yuka in that category and am tempted to say Tonya and Kristi...
I don't know about that. I suppose "taking a risk" means pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. Yuka :love: had (has) a unique talent for making everything look comfortable. She reminds me of the old saying about a duck -- unruffled above the water, but paddling like the devil underneath.

Never let 'em see you sweat, LOL.

At age 25 or so Yuka pushed herself to take on pairs skating, having to learn new skills from the ground up. (It depends on your motivation -- maybe she didn't want Jason skating with anyone else. :laugh:)

Kristi did not back away from a triple Lutz - triple toe at the Olympics. How many other skaters can say the same? Plus, she continued to do her complete repertoire of triples in pro competitions and exhibitions, right up to the end of her career.

Tonya Harding was one of only two women in the world who attempted the triple Axel in competition. It took another ten years before anyone else took on the challenge of this high-risk element.

BTW, I read a great Kimmie quote in Blades on Ice the other day. The reporter asker her, so, when you went out for your LP at the Olympics, were you thinking, "Oh, no! It's the Olympics!" ?

Kimmie answered, No, I was thinking, "Oh YES! It's the Olympics!" :rock: