Campbell's format announced | Golden Skate

Campbell's format announced

The roster for the Campbell's Soup Bowl hasn't been announced yet. The only thing we know for sure is that Sasha will be there (according to her recent journal entry).

Why not Slutskaya? She has not announced her retirement from eligible skating, she's in pretty good shape from the summer tour, and it's a nice payday, considering that she will not contest the Grand Prix series this year.

Pairs and Dance? The ISU site says, "Campbell's International Challenge: senior ladies, men, pairs, dance." They would need only two teams to have a competition. They could have, say, Inoue and Baldwin versus Pang and Tong or Zhang and Zhang, or Belbin and Agosto against Denkova and Stavitski or Dubreuil and Lauzon.

[IGNORE THIS POST, LOL]

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Actually, it is rumored that Campbell's on Oct. 15 will feature USA vs. Japan in singles and USA vs. Canada in pairs/dance. I believe USFS' announcement will be out later today, so then we'll know for sure.

Irina does have health problems.
Sasha does not have health problems.

With Sasha as an entry, there will be most likely 3 additional Americans including Kimmie and Emilie, plus a decision to be made for Alyssa and Katie.

I see the internationals as Rochette and one Japanese lady being coached in the US.

There's no time for Pairs and Dance other than one exhibition each. This is NOT a major figure skating event.

For the skaters, this event is an excellent dress rehearsal for the GPs and Nats.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
---or more likely Mao v. Kimmie.

:agree:
It would seem like either SC is there to bring attention (to the event and herself), or wants to see how she feels about it. Maybe to lessen some pressure on Kimmie too????

Thanks for the link blackrose

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Irina can't skate if it's USA and Japan. But it's something "different" from the norm, and that's nice to see. I wonder if this is the last year of these events.

Did I miss something or are the Japanese participants not listed? Umm, make sense at all? :scratch:

Will this event be televised in Japan as well?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Did I miss something or are the Japanese participants not listed? Umm, make sense at all? :scratch:
The article that Blackrose submitted said that the "other countries" had not submitted there list yet.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
:agree:
It would seem like either SC is there to bring attention (to the event and herself), or wants to see how she feels about it. Maybe to lessen some pressure on Kimmie too????

They probably do need a headliner like Sasha to sell the event. I am still
doubtful that she will attend. If she does attend I wonder if we will see
two new programs from Sasha or will she keep R&J (which iimo is beautiful program) and have new SP.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But isn't Kimmie enough of a headliner? She's the WORLD CHAMP for goodness sake! ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
They probably do need a headliner like Sasha to sell the event. I am still
doubtful that she will attend. If she does attend I wonder if we will see
two new programs from Sasha or will she keep R&J (which iimo is beautiful program) and have new SP.

I agree with this. I don't take her word for it when she "claims" she'll be there. Also- heard nothing about any new programs, so if anything at all it's definitely going to be one of her old programs.

Blackrose and Attnfan - Thanks for the links.

SO.... It's a team thing. US v. Japan and US. v. Canada.

Only 3 US skaters mentioned for Ladies and 3 for Men.

I presume there will be 3 Japanese Ladies and 3 Japanese Men. I've seen quite a bit of the US Ladies. I was hoping for Bebe, Katy and Alyssa whom I don't see that much of. The !apanese Ladies will be more interesting to watch, imo.

If Scott Smith doesn't fold, he will be an eye opener. He's right up there with Lysacek and Weir. The Japanese Men, I hope will be Takaheshi and Oda and another upcoming star.

then the US. v. Canadians which could be a tight race if we knew who the Canadians are.

All this, and the Synchronized Champs from Miami.

The format is a welcome change and good luck to get all this in LIVE in two hours.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Two hours should work -- only US vs. Japan will be shown live. Each skater will do a long or a short program. Two flights of six, with judging, even with a zamboni break in the middle -- hopefully to show at least one dance and one pair, with highlights of the rest -- should fit easily in two hours.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Scott Smith lands all his jumps, he is an OK skater, but he has no special flair or personality. Scott just isn't anywhere near on the same level as Weir and Lysacek; compared to them, he is Bland and Boring. I don't see him beating either Oda or Takahashi, both of whom bring that extra spark to their performances.

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Lambiel always beats Weir and Lysacek by doing quads so Scott Smith can do the same thing if he lands his quads. Oda also does not have a quad. Takahashi occasionaly tries one but not always. So he can beat all 4 of them if he does his quads, the same way Lambiel does by landing his quads, and Joubert does when he does not fall on half of his jumps.

Maybe the third Japanese man will be world junior champion Takahiko Kozuka. :rock:

I think the difference in prize money ($20,000 per skater for the winning team, $10,000 per skater for second, in singles) should be enough for the performers to take the contest seriously.

This totally rocks.

I wonder if the pairs/dance competition will be shown on ESPN at a later date.