Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Campbell's format announced

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Of course they are RISK-TAKERS now - they are teenagers KM-16, Mao-16, Miki-17. It has always been that way for the young talented skaters, upping the ante. Lets see if they can keep that technical pace into their twenties.
    True. And often times you WANT to push the envelope but can't because that body of yours won't cooperate. Oh, if you could just swap 'em out.

I hope she wins Nats this year so its her face we see on the USFS home page banner.
    Oh, I believe she will. National Championships, notably the US one, have a tendency to be REAL predictable. Even if she doesn't, can't go wrong with Hughes or Taylor as US Champ.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I don't know about Asada. I assume she'll get assigned to NHK and some other GP event (don't know which one).
    Assignments have been out for a while, RD. Asada faces off against Kimmie at Skate America (and I will be there). Should be a good one.

Down With It
    ok, so KM/MA at SA and KM/YuNa in France. There are your two big matchups provided the players show up.

It would make a better 'sports show' if there is risk taking.

The Ladies in past performances if I remember correctly, never did more than a triple lutz x double toe.

The Gentlemen usually never skate a clean routine.

However, with Mao making an appearance this may change. I think too, that Miki will want to show up Mao as well as the American gals.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    I am also now starting to recall a LOT of "safe than sorry" young skaters. I would instantly put Yuka in that category and am tempted to say Tonya and Kristi...
    I don't know about that. I suppose "taking a risk" means pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. Yuka had (has) a unique talent for making everything look comfortable. She reminds me of the old saying about a duck -- unruffled above the water, but paddling like the devil underneath.

Never let 'em see you sweat, LOL.

At age 25 or so Yuka pushed herself to take on pairs skating, having to learn new skills from the ground up. (It depends on your motivation -- maybe she didn't want Jason skating with anyone else. )

Kristi did not back away from a triple Lutz - triple toe at the Olympics. How many other skaters can say the same? Plus, she continued to do her complete repertoire of triples in pro competitions and exhibitions, right up to the end of her career.

Tonya Harding was one of only two women in the world who attempted the triple Axel in competition. It took another ten years before anyone else took on the challenge of this high-risk element.

BTW, I read a great Kimmie quote in Blades on Ice the other day. The reporter asker her, so, when you went out for your LP at the Olympics, were you thinking, "Oh, no! It's the Olympics!" ?

Kimmie answered, No, I was thinking, "Oh YES! It's the Olympics!"

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar

Japanese ladies' team

According to an article posted on FSU, it's Mai, Mao, and Miki for Japan at Campbell's!

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41975

(scroll down)

Down With It
    not surprised about Asada and Ando but what's Mai doing here??

I am surprised at Mai and Ando over Suguri????What!!!

Down With It
    Somehow I knew you'd be surprised

No doubt.
    Mao I understand and am starting to like the idea despite my earlier ....well ...whatever.
    But Mai why? and Ando must be pulling some clean (that is a good thing I like her) other wise I am totally perplexed. They want to over look the #4 at Olys for..........Ando let alone the second Asada? Well gives me more chance for courting

Down With It
    Ando is fine. It's Mai that I'm shaking my head over.

Maybe Suguri has another commitment somewhere...or they want to promote the "new faces" in skating...wait, SOME new faces...

I really do like Miki, and can see that (in light of something clean going on) I agree, I can also see them "drumming up" the sisters. But I can't see why they would leave out my dream test baby? One or the other, but leave out Fumie? You must be on to something RD with the "prior engagement." Nipon skating must be out of their minds to leave her out unless there is a good reason - I hope

Down With It
    I wouldn't worry if I were you. She'll be fine.

At least she may be the only veteran that plans to continue skating. Think of it that way.
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-28-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Mai has at least one GP assignment, IIRC, so they may want her to get ready, and she must be pretty decent.

Also, I read recently that she has had to deal with some puberty monster issues ... maybe she'll be more competitive now?

And I've heard that she models, so she may have a fan base from that.

Last, she and Mao seem to be something of a sister act, so the Japanese Fed. may be actively promoting them as such.

Here endeth my second hand knowledge about Mai. Please correct me.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if Japan (or anyone) takes this event seriously, except as practice and PR.

I'm interested to see how she does.

But condolences, Seanibu.

Yah, I can see that sister act, but I would rather see Mao Miki and Fumie, but hey...maybe she need some time to come to the states and meet me

Regardless I hope they do well. Who ever. But I will be missing.. I must need to slide down that rainbow.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast