Campbell's format announced | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Campbell's format announced

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
And I see no reason for Sasha to drop out of Campbell's, just because Fumie isn't there.

Yah, but that would mean Sasha has to bring her own tights:laugh:

That was a great thing to point out about FS being in Canada so shortly before the Soup bowl. I was surprised it didn't come to my mind, but anyway It made me feel much better - I slept well last night.:laugh:

It is almost as thought the JF has to decide who NOT to send, it is like they have 10 Heisman Trophy winners on their team who all cover the same position (well maybe that isn't the best example, but drift given).

I think Inloveagain is on the right tack in thinking that the skaters' schedules played a key role.

According to Mark on the Japan Skates forum, Fumie will be skating in Japan at a Prince Hotels show on Oct. 7-9. Mao and Mai were both invited for this event, too, but were expected to opt for Campbell's instead. This makes sense because then Mao, Mai and Miki can all just stick around for Skate America.

I don't expect Mai Asada to be a weak sister. If they do head-to-head match-ups, with Sasha against Miki and Mao against Kimmie, then Mai will be skating against Emily. IMHO it could go either way.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think she said that she would take a break. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that she'll return, at least in the "eligible" ranks. I think for comparison purposes it's safe to say Meissner's the best right now (and maybe only Asada or Ando can give her a run for her money).

As the season progresses, things can change of course, but now this is how it looks.

OK - i think i missed the news that she was definitely sitting out the next season. My gut reaction is that she'll get pregnant before the season is out and start her family - she's always talked about wanting one. The only thing that might be a factor is piseev trying to coax the potential retiring skaters to keep at it until some of the younger Russians get better...though i think his logic is flawed since the old guard would end up going to the big competitions and the younger ones would remain inexperienced.

The year after teh Olympics is always an interesting time and meissner's certainly laid down the gautnlet for the others coming up from Juniors.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think Inloveagain is on the right tack in thinking that the skaters' schedules played a key role.

According to Mark on the Japan Skates forum, Fumie will be skating in Japan at a Prince Hotels show on Oct. 7-9. Mao and Mai were both invited for this event, too, but were expected to opt for Campbell's instead. This makes sense because then Mao, Mai and Miki can all just stick around for Skate America.

I don't expect Mai Asada to be a weak sister. If they do head-to-head match-ups, with Sasha against Miki and Mao against Kimmie, then Mai will be skating against Emily. IMHO it could go either way.

I thought Mai, at her best before puberty only had the lower tier triples (toe, sal and loop). Did she ever get the flip and lutz before her growth spurt? How many of the triples does she have now?

Ant

Skye

On the Ice
I thought Mai, at her best before puberty only had the lower tier triples (toe, sal and loop). Did she ever get the flip and lutz before her growth spurt? How many of the triples does she have now?

Ant

AFAIK, Mai has all 5 triples, up to the Lutz. Her problem is consistency - she averages 3-4 clean triples in every long program.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think the reasoning behind "No Fumie, no Sasha?" was just maybe Sasha wouldn't show up because she doesn't want to, not because she wouldn't want to compete without Fumie. I'd bet Sasha WILL be there to fullfill her committment as reigning National Champion and stay in the good graces of the USFSA, plus, I'm sure she will be top billed skater and a headliner, which is good publicity.

I think this will be a great preview for SA! It will be interesting to see how different results will be between SA and Campbells.

Is it almost Campbell's time yet???? ;)

Agreed. For the first time I am looking forward to the Campbells. However, I still believe it is a rehearsal, albeit and important rehearsal, for the GPs and respective Nats.

It will be Sasha, Kimmie, Emile versus Mao, Mai, and Miki for the best dress rehearsal.

I see no point in predicting anyone to win Campbells but one can hope.

Joe