If you have ever asked "Who's Fred&Ginger?".... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If you have ever asked "Who's Fred&Ginger?"....

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Likewise, SeaniBu! :bow: :bow: :bow:

As for Torvill and Dean: no wondering. The man was and is a total perfectionist, but apparently Jayne has a talent for tolerating him on the ice. I know that on the one hand I would kill for a lesson from him, and on the other hand it would likely only end in a complete nervous collapse on my part!

And yay for balletic interludes! (Except "The Red Shoes." Good ballet, but it's like "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" on toe shoes.)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
And yay for balletic interludes! (Except "The Red Shoes." Good ballet, but it's like "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" on toe shoes.)

Wow you are so on it, I really feel bad I ever said anything derogatory about you. I am such a fool. Thank you for tolerating me.
You and a couple of my exs could have talked for hours.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Fred and Ginger? Yeah, I know who they were. The former was married to Ethel and the latter shared a hut with Maryanne.:eek:

We do tend to discriminate in couples that one is better than the other. Does it matter if it works?

I would discriminate if the artistry didn't work because of one particular person.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
We do tend to discriminate in couples that one is better than the other. Does it matter if it works?

I would discriminate if the artistry didn't work because of one particular person.

Joe

True Joe, I really don't mean that Ginger was not great, but all things being said in respect to her, which I should be more decorous (thanks JVC) and remark that not only do I think she has some of the nicest legs ever, she could use them better then any lady of that time in dancing. But as in most situations one is normally stronger then the other in the talent department. Just ask Babs F-P:laugh: . I think it is also interesting how they matched up "Mr. Gentleman" (in persona) with Ginger who came from a very "racy/burlesque" aspect of the business. She wasn't shy to put it politely. Gold Diggers was a far cry from anything she did with Fred. I think it was a bigger step for her in a positive direction when they teamed them up. I would never say that he could have done as well with anyone, but he did do rather well with quite a few - but Ginger was the best with him to be sure. IMO

That is really sad news about her feet being so brutalized by the shoes the studio suplied. She was definitely a tough gal too.

The Movie with Audrey was Funny Face, I think the main song from that dictated the need to have at least a kiss - "Let's Kiss and Make-up."

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Actually, I think Judy Garland was the best. I remember Fred telling that she was the fastest learner he had ever seen and something about being the best dancer. He just couldn't believe how fast she picked everything up.

Both Fred and Gene were gentlemen and would never say who was their best partner. Fred slipped once and mentioned Vera Ellen.

Seanibu - If your theory is correct that one partner is better than the other, who was the stronger dancer with Torvahl and Dean?

Joe

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I'm not Sean, but I can answer that. Jayne was a great technical skater, but Chris was better overall. He was not only a great technician (I'd say they were evenly matched in things like skating skill), but he had more of the artistic/presenation side. I still remember hearing one commentator somewhere on my tapes of them say that it was so unusual with a dance team where you wanted to watch the man as much as the woman. (Think of teams like N/K, or of course F-P/M--do you ever really watch Roman or Maurizio except to see if they're making a mistake?) A more current case--Belbin/Agosto. Ben is the better skater. Tanith is sort of the flip side of Jayne Torvill--she has stage presence, but her technique isn't as good as her partner's and it's often obvious.

Torvill and Dean are rather like Fred & Ginger--they just kind of hit the perfect balance between partners where, yeah, one might be said to be 'better' than the other, but they work so well together it doesn't matter. 99% of teams out there, on ice or in ballroom/show dancing, that's not the case--it does matter, because even laypeople can see one is better.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I said it thinking that it would be a given and did understand if there was a question about it really, or just a "knowledge drill." And I wasn't sure how to answer that question and do them both "justice," thanks JVC - I could have never said it so well.:agree: Jayne Had her own strengths in being able to skate with such a strong personality (should not be underestimated) from what I hear of Chris.

It is not a huge margin of "so much better" in my mind for any team. But there is a "Lead." Of course I do take into consideration that it takes a "talent" to follow as well. But a "follow and a follow just don't get as far" without a lead even if the "follow" had more of the tallent.

Also with the Ben and Tanith comment :agree: Particularly after seeing him skate a little with Irina at COI.

ETA, My statement was a generalized one not saying that it was always the case.
most situations one is normally stronger then the other

Last edited: