Thread: Alexandra LaHurd???

Custom Title

Alexandra LaHurd???

Anyone know this young lady? I was skimming through Blades On Ice, and this picture caught my eye:
    https://bladesonice.com/06-aug-nb-lahurd.jpg

The author talks about her amazing spirals-
    Alexandra LaHurd had her problems with jumps but the 17 year-old, who is trained by Tracey Cahill Poletis and Ron Ludington at the University of Delaware, presents the most incredible positions in this element.

In one, she grasps her foot from a split high kick, bends the leg and wraps it around the back of her neck. In another she leans back so far on an outside edge, she nearly touches the ice with one of her hand.
    https://bladesonice.com/blaweb1.htm

I''m sorry, but that is NOT a pretty position. Maybe it looks better in motion.

Custom Title
    I agree. It looks more like a kickboxing move than a figure skating one.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Looks more like she is heading for a fall than attempting a spiral. I agree not very flattering. I would rather watch Shawn Sawyer - now he is the most flexible male skater I have ever seen:

http://www.skatetoday.com/shawnsawyer/06Canadians.htm

Custom Title
    i was impressed with her flexibility. pretty or not, not a lot of people can do that kind of stuff.

As far as male flexibility, Rohene Ward is far more flexibile than Shawn, IMO.

Custom Title
    LaHurd hasn't really had competitive success at the senior level (she didn't qualify for the final round at her Regionals last season, for example), but it's nice to see relatively unknown skaters get some publicity like she did in the BOI online article.

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    Except for the body angle,it reminds me of Sasha Cohen.
    Last edited by John King; 08-23-2006 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Link not working

Rinkside
    I had the pleasure of working with Alex three years ago, she is a delightful hard working student and athlete, and is one of the kindest, sweetest, hard working people I have had the pleasure of knowing. She should be applauded for her creativity, and we will soon hear great things from her!!!

Custom Title
    Not a pretty position. I don't care very much for the Sasha position either.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I have a feeling this looks a lot better when performed than it does in "still shot". In the pic she looks like Gumby having lost serious control of a jump landing and is trying not to fall down and break his a**.

Does anyone remember a lady by the name of Patricia Mansfield who used to compete on the National level in the early 90s? She was known for her "solo death spiral". That looked really cool when performed, but I doubt that would photograph well, either.

I was WONDERING if Ron Ludington was still coaching at all. You used to hear that name all the time in the 80s, but not as much anymore.

Custom Title
    So, this (fan spiral) is the position Sasha refered to once when she says she was inspired by...I forget which pairs skater...to do a "solo death spiral"? I was never sure what move she was referring to. Granted, the spiral both Alexandra and Sashado is originally the Maribel Vison Owen Spiral. Both put their own personal touch to it, but it is basically a variation of the same move.