Alexandra LaHurd??? | Golden Skate

Alexandra LaHurd???

MKFSfan

Medalist
Anyone know this young lady? I was skimming through Blades On Ice, and this picture caught my eye:
https://bladesonice.com/06-aug-nb-lahurd.jpg

The author talks about her amazing spirals-
Alexandra LaHurd had her problems with jumps but the 17 year-old, who is trained by Tracey Cahill Poletis and Ron Ludington at the University of Delaware, presents the most incredible positions in this element.

In one, she grasps her foot from a split high kick, bends the leg and wraps it around the back of her neck. In another she leans back so far on an outside edge, she nearly touches the ice with one of her hand.
https://bladesonice.com/blaweb1.htm

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. It looks more like a kickboxing move than a figure skating one.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
i was impressed with her flexibility. pretty or not, not a lot of people can do that kind of stuff.

As far as male flexibility, Rohene Ward is far more flexibile than Shawn, IMO.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
LaHurd hasn't really had competitive success at the senior level (she didn't qualify for the final round at her Regionals last season, for example), but it's nice to see relatively unknown skaters get some publicity like she did in the BOI online article.

John King

Final Flight
Except for the body angle,it reminds me of Sasha Cohen.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of working with Alex three years ago, she is a delightful hard working student and athlete, and is one of the kindest, sweetest, hard working people I have had the pleasure of knowing. She should be applauded for her creativity, and we will soon hear great things from her!!!

Eeyora

Final Flight
Not a pretty position. I don't care very much for the Sasha position either.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I have a feeling this looks a lot better when performed than it does in "still shot". In the pic she looks like Gumby having lost serious control of a jump landing and is trying not to fall down and break his a**.

Does anyone remember a lady by the name of Patricia Mansfield who used to compete on the National level in the early 90s? She was known for her "solo death spiral". That looked really cool when performed, but I doubt that would photograph well, either.

I was WONDERING if Ron Ludington was still coaching at all. You used to hear that name all the time in the 80s, but not as much anymore.

MKFSfan

Medalist
So, this (fan spiral) is the position Sasha refered to once when she says she was inspired by...I forget which pairs skater...to do a "solo death spiral"? I was never sure what move she was referring to. Granted, the spiral both Alexandra and Sashado is originally the Maribel Vison Owen Spiral. Both put their own personal touch to it, but it is basically a variation of the same move.