Who will have a "break-through" year? | Golden Skate

Who will have a "break-through" year?

Arianne

On the Ice
Or should I say who do you hope or think will have a break-through year? I really hope that these skaters "break through" this season:

Alissa C. She has already made a splash at the GP, but will she really breakthrough and place at nationals???

Scott Smith: Will this be his year?

Katy Taylor: She's still young, but she may make the podium at nationals this year. I wonder how she will do in the GP?

Joannie Rochette: Of course she's the Canadian champion, but will she medal at worlds?

Johnny Wier: I hope he medal's at worlds this year!

Elene G. Will she breakthrough on the world scene? Or in the GP's.

Who do you think will have a breakthrough year???

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am not sure if it's "think" or "hope".

I hope Savchenko & Szolkowy get over their coaching issues and do well not only at the GP circuit, but at Worlds as well.

I hope Mukhortove & Trankov will have a break-through season with Moskvina.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Asking this question is almost like asking "So who will be Olympic Champion in 2010?"

JMO...it's so hard to pick one. So many factors in play, and I agree that this question just boils down to "Which skater do you hope will do really well next season?"

And to answer that question I'd say any of the Americans, i.e. Czisny or Meissner. The former will be extremely busy and the latter will have to deal with being chased rather than chasing.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Well, I hope Miki Ando has a breakthrough year. I just felt so badly for her last year and think she could be very successful.

I think we may see Kimmie breakthough with her artistry.

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Hmm...I'm really looking forward to see how Yu Na, Kimmie and Mao fare now that they are hyped a bit to be the Next Big Things.

As far as which skaters I'd like to see have a "breakthrough seasons", hopefully Bebe, Yukari and Katy build on their fabulous 4CC showing, Alissa can find some good jump technique and consistency (as I've said a zillion times, I LOVE her spins and spirals!) and I'm hoping Elene has been working on her stamina or whatever it was the kept her from skating strong LP's.

Is the new season here yet???

Matthews/Zavosin and Davis/White join Belbin/Agosto to form the new American dynasty in ice dance.

Rachael Flatt and Caroline Zhang make everyone forget all about Michelle and Sasha.

Internationally, it's Elene Gedevanishvili! :rock:

I agree with so many of these posts about the Ladies I'd like to see Kevin vd Perren really make the break through this year. He almost did last year.

As for the Ladies, I would really like to see Sasha do both SP & LP at her best.

Joe

Skye

On the Ice
Assuming a "breakthrough" is confined to the senior scene, my hopes are:

Elene Gedevanishvili to medal at Euros.
Nobunari Oda to medal at Worlds.
Mukhortova/Trankov to grow out of that "Former Jr. Champions" title and become serious contenders.
Virtue & Moir to make a strong outing at Skate Canada.

Others I will be interested watching are Yu-Na Kim, Patrick Chan, Savchenko & Szolkowy and Pratt & Gilles.

lisadotdash

Rinkside
I agree with so many of these posts about the Ladies I'd like to see Kevin vd Perren really make the break through this year. He almost did last year.

As for the Ladies, I would really like to see Sasha do both SP & LP at her best.

Joe

I'd like for her to, the trouble with Sasha IMO is that if she wants to stay eligible to 2010, and she has a break-through season next year, she may burn out for good in short order just on the been-there done-that philosophy, which is fine I'm sure with a lot of people, maybe even her!

I'm going with Elena G.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I hope Naomi Nari Nam and Themistocles Leftheris can make the podium at nationals. I would like Kimmie to come back as a artist and shock everyone the way michelle did in her salome season. I would like Katy Taylor to perform well at the GP, Alissa too.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Miki (so glad she's no longer with Heis)
Katy (pink hummer aside, I like her skating
Emily (ta-da!!)
The Kerrs... ( I like them, I really like them)

Everyone else is there already, had their shot, played their hand or a has-been that never was...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kimmie already had her breakthrough, now she has to sustain it.
Katy Taylor is on the brink, and I hope she takes that big step up.
I am hoping for Weir to confound his critics by winning his 4th US Championship, and then medaling at Worlds for the first time.
I am also rooting for Evan and Johnny to cross the quad barrier and land those quads in every performance from now on.
I'd like to see Davis/White beat Virtue/Moir for the first time in at least one segment of the Ice Dance competition at Skate Canada. They came close a couple of times last season (when D/W were just returning from Charlie's injury).

R.D.

Record Breaker
the trouble with Sasha IMO is that if she wants to stay eligible to 2010, and she has a break-through season next year, she may burn out for good in short order just on the been-there done-that philosophy, which is fine I'm sure with a lot of people, maybe even her!

I agree :agree: and as for the "break-through season" next year, I think that already happened...in 2003. Didn't she dominate the GP series that year? If that's not a break-through season I don't know what is. As far as I'm concerned- and this may sound harsh to many posters- she's finished...yesterday's news...the past. Next!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
With the coaching change, I really think Melissa and Denis are going to soar to new heights... it's not just a hope, I'm really confident that this is the right move for them!

They're going to rock it out this season

heyang

Record Breaker
Assuming that Stiegler and Magorovsky are still together, I hope they have grown more and make the Nationals podium.

Ditto on Kimmie's artistry and Alissa C's finding jump consistency (it's the one technical element that's keepin her off the podium. I think if she gets this, she'll have all the confidence she needs to battle the nerves.)

I hope we don't have to hear about Katy Taylor's desire for a pink hummer all season - by this time, I would hope she would realize it costs too much for gas.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tiffany and Sergei Magerovsky will not be skating together this season. I don't know if that is a permanent thing, but they will not be at 2007 Nationals.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Asking this question is almost like asking "So who will be Olympic Champion in 2010?"
I disagree. A breakout year in 2007 guarantees nothing. Susanna Poykio had a breakout year in 2005, not so good in 2006. Rochette had a breakout year, then went backwards at Worlds in Moscow. Weir broke out in 2004, but hasn't yet made it to the next step. After 2005, Savchenko/Skolkowy looked like Olympic medal contenders for Torino. Pang/Tong looked very strong after their World bronze medal; the next year they were overtaken by Zhang/Zhang. Buttle broke out in 2001 and then regressed; Matt Savoie was a GPF bronze medallist before falling off the judges' radar. Joubert finally broke his Worlds curse with a silver medal performance in Dortmund, and fell in 2005. Lindemann had a great year in 2004, and even for those who feel he was held up for his Worlds bronze by skating at home, the quality of his skating was certainly good enough for top five; the next year he plummeted and German Men had one spot for 2006. Likewise Julia Sebestyen -- European Champ in 2004 (and wuzzrobbed in Dortmund, IMO) and not even top 10 now. Chengjiang Li was a close fourth in 2003 -- wuzrobbed of bronze, again, in my opinion -- and he's been falling since. Chait/Saskhnovski and Zagorska/Siudek won World bronzes and have dropped since. Petrova/Tikhonov have been bounced up-down-up-down.

Very few skaters have a breakout year, like Kwan, Yagudin, and Plushenko and stay at or close to the top year after year after year, while others go up and down the scale, for whatever reason: injury, serendipity, illness, loss of favor, politics, payback, whatever.

Kasey

Medalist
Would love to see Alissa Czisny and Rohene Ward shine at Nationals.

Would also love to see Andrei Griazev skate the way he is capable of, and have a very successful year to further boost his confidence in himself.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am not sure. One I would have picked is Dube and Davison except for Jessicsa's recent injury. Another I might have picked is Faiella and Scalli who I think are due for a move in the international ranks perhaps. Kim since she has not yet appeared as a senior, and obviously could do extremely well. Among the men Oda might have a big year and made the World podium, which would not really suprise anybody, but would still be a first time medal at Worlds.