New Picture/Updated Bio on Meissner, Cohen on USFS | Golden Skate

New Picture/Updated Bio on Meissner, Cohen on USFS

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Evan Lysacek's bio was also updated. He finally stopped pretending he's 5'11" and admitted to 6'1". :p

Evan Lysacek's bio was also updated. He finally stopped pretending he's 5'11" and admitted to 6'1". :p
I always take the Bio heights with a grain of salt. Evan always looked to me like he could switch to basketball.

I still think Sasha is less than 5.2 and Kimmie is taller than 5.3.

Joe

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Awww, Kimmie is so cute.

I can't wait to see her develop into one of the greatest skaters ever. She can do it!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see her develop into one of the greatest skaters ever. She can do it!

Damn, now the expectations for poor Kimmie are being kicked up a notch. I can imagine the fallout that will follow should she have a rough season. Even Kwan wasn't immune from heavy criticism in her heyday.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Well Kimmie isn't at the level Kwan was. Not yet. The jumps, yes.

I think she CAN get there, though. If she does it will be amazing - a Triple Axle and amazing artisty in a woman's program? To die for.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think lofty expectations like this one are just setting fans up for disppointment. Kwan was one of a kind, it will take a long time to find another skater that can get to the top and stay there for as long as she did.

As far as Kimmie is concerned, she'll do fine just keeping up the enthusiasm she has for skating, and working on actually TRANSLATING that enthusiasm onto the ice (I think of someone like Emily Hughes here) because quite honestly, without the fancy tricks, she's pretty zzzzzzzzzz.

I don't think Kimmie will be "one of the greatest skaters ever". Usually a skater has either Tech or Pres. If you work on one usually you tend to "neglect" (in this case meaning putting less emphasis) the other. Instead It will be a race between her and Mao Asada this year, and maybe later on as both mature they'll stop the risk-taking and start developing the pres and "play it safe". Sound familiar?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think lofty expectations like this one are just setting fans up for disppointment. Kwan was one of a kind, it will take a long time to find another skater that can get to the top and stay there for as long as she did.

As far as Kimmie is concerned, she'll do fine just keeping up the enthusiasm she has for skating, and working on actually TRANSLATING that enthusiasm onto the ice (I think of someone like Emily Hughes here) because quite honestly, without the fancy tricks, she's pretty zzzzzzzzzz.

I don't think Kimmie will be "one of the greatest skaters ever". Usually a skater has either Tech or Pres. If you work on one usually you tend to "neglect" (in this case meaning putting less emphasis) the other. Instead It will be a race between her and Mao Asada this year, and maybe later on as both mature they'll stop the risk-taking and start developing the pres and "play it safe". Sound familiar?

Good post RD and I agree. Kimmie is a sweet girl but I am not a fan of her skating style. Her free skate at Worlds while deserving the gold that night left me feeling the same way when SH took gold at SLC-not timpressed. JMO

I agree with most of this as well. I like the idea of Kimmie learning to translate her enthusiasm, the way Emily does. That sounds more doable to me than the idea of her developing amazing artistry.

You could see the seeds of Sasha's artistry, IMO, when she was very young. It doesn't spring out of nowhere. I don't think Kimmie will develop that.

But there is something very attractive about her off the ice--not just her mental attitude but even her presence--that doesn't yet come across in her skating.

That translation is something I can honestly look forward to in her skating, so thanks for making that distinction, RD.

Skye

On the Ice
Kimmie reminds of Nancy Kerrigan every time people talk about artistry. It is true that she is more polished than any other teen US ladies at the moment, and her personality and programs are quite "nice". But I have never felt excited or enchanted by watching her yet, which is a pity cause she seems like a real sweetie pie. Even at the Worlds, what I saw was the thrill of succeeding her jumps, not the ENTHUSIASM that Red Dog has mentioned. OTOH, Bebe is so much fun even when she messes up and I was enthralled by Caroline Zhang with just one layback spin.

debdelilah

On the Ice
I think Kimmie's enthusiasm comes across more when you see her in person. I saw her "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" exhibition on t.v. after Worlds, and didn't think much of it, but when I saw it in person in COI, she was smiling and seemed caught up in the emotion of the song, and I liked it very much.
She was probably feeling the fun side of skating more, with less pressure.

I'm of the school that young skaters can improve when concentrating on what they have to do. Given Kimmie's enthusiasm to be a winner rather than be a glitzy skater, I think she will definitely improve her presentation in time.

Joe

demarinis5

Record Breaker
I'm of the school that young skaters can improve when concentrating on what they have to do. Given Kimmie's enthusiasm to be a winner rather than be a glitzy skater, I think she will definitely improve her presentation in time.

Joe

I agree that young skaters can improve with time and
experience, but by the time a skater is 15 or 16 they have developed their basic skills. which definitely can be improved upon. I just don't see Kimmie developing an artistic talent that I don't think she possesses. Now this is jmo and I have no idea how she will develop, maybe she will surprise me this season and prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Basic technique, YES. Should be under the belt by 16. Let's look for strong edging in particular - no bobbles, no flutzes, etc. And let's not get overwhelmed with a leg high in the air for a spiral. That's not a basic. The edge is!!

Much of 'artistic' talent in a teenager comes from imitating artists they look up to. You've seen the videos of kids imitating the pros even at the children's pageant level. Doesn't mean they have already developed their style. But having a mentor to look up to is the beginning. Their personal style will come eventually.

Problem today is that are there are two many imitating Carmen Toreadors and Carmen Seductresses when those styles are better served in another media.

JMO - Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I still think Sasha is less than 5.2

:agree: They must have measured her with her skates on:agree: :laugh: I still say 5' even.

That Kimmie is really starting to look more like a lady, she is going to have a look that is very widely liked/admired I think - kind of turning into that "wholesome charm" look with just the right amount of "Mademoiselle" to look elegant.

JMO OC

demarinis5

Record Breaker
And let's not get overwhelmed with a leg high in the air for a spiral. That's not a basic. The edge is!!

I agree that the edge is important but correct me if I am wrong under COP a steady leg high in the air for a spiral gets rewarded and is just as important under COP as the edge.The skaters are
going to try to put into their programs whatever garners the most points. Sasha, Irina and Shiz get level 4's for their spirals. Kimmie
has 3x3 and a 3 axle.

Last edited:
I agree that the edge is important but correct me if I am wrong under COP a steady leg high in the air for a spiral gets rewarded and is just as important under COP as the edge.
Tara had a decent spiral but it was on the flat. No edge! How would that work in CoP? Sasha always did her high spiral on the flat right in front of the judges until Wilson put it on a curve. Michelle didn't always hold her change of edge.
For me, the edge rules. That's what the skater is doing. Once the skater hits the proper edge and holds it, the free leg can go anywhere, and graded in the PCS scores, imo.

The skaters are going to try to put into their programs whatever garners the most points. Sasha, Irina and Shiz get level 4's for their spirals. Kimmie has 3x3 and a 3 axle.
Since the Sport is determined on points, that's what they should do.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think COP just says the free leg must be higher than the hip??? Of course, supreme extension and tension (which, IMO, it is more asthetically pleasing to see a maybe not so high spiral that is helf for the entire move, than a free leg way up but wobbling to and fro) highlight any spiral, but you don't need to have perect splits to garner a level 4 spiral, just ask Irina.