New Picture/Updated Bio on Meissner, Cohen on USFS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Picture/Updated Bio on Meissner, Cohen on USFS

dizzydi7

On the Ice
New Pictures........

Whether Kimmie is better than Michelle, Sasha or anyone else is just a matter of opinion. It all comes down to the style of skating you prefer.

As far as winning championships, I don't believe we will ever see the likes of Michelle Kwan's winning streak again. Times have changed, scoring has changed and the technical bar has been raised by Kimmie's world championship.
If Kimmie can continue to pack her program with triples and combos (and performs them well) she may be hard to beat. However, there is always a chance she will suffer injuries in the future as a result of all this wear and tear on her body.

There are so many skaters who I feel have better presentation than Kimmie. I do believe Kimmie will improve as she continues to mature and gains more experience. Kimmie is not unbeatable and chances are will face fierce competition in the future. She does seem to have a wonderful competitive spirit and seems to keep her nerves under wraps. However, this season will definitely be the measure of how she handles pressure. I think Kimmie is a delightful young lady and I hope she does well this coming season.

Dizzy

I think we have to wait and see with Kimmie without foreseeing that she will never have a style because of what she looks like at 16.

Tara had nothing but a 3x3 and a bubbly personality on the ice. I do not think she should be the benchmark for all teenage Ladies. It took 4 years for Sasha to get a Worlds medal in Dortmund, and she had all the wows one could imagine at 16.

IMO, Sasha today continues to be the best of the whole package skaters, and will continue to garner very high points in PCS. However, her TS are at this point in time, not up to the current crop of Ladies if they hit.

Since we have all questioned the connection between high TS scores bringing in higher than deserved PCS scores, Kimmie at this point in time has a better chance at medaling in international competitions.

Take note of Campbells results but do not use them as ammo for any particular skater entered in that made-for-tv competition.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
KM may have raised the "technical bar" at the World Championships but remember that was only one night. Sure, other ladies will take notice, but one way or another it seems that it's an on/off thing. Sometimes the winner goes all out on tech, other times it's the best of a bad lot.

But 4 of the past 5 world championships have been won by a knockout freeskate. That's very telling.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only 4 out of 5? I thought all 5 of the last WCs were won by a knockout FS.
2002-Irina's first WC and the best she had ever done to that date
2003-Kwan's FS a gem, easily beating Sokolova
2004-Knockout by Shizuka
2005-Knockout by Irina
2006-Knockout by Kimmie

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was ruling out Irina in 2002 because I'm not sure if she blew the roof off the house (which is what I mean by "knockout") or whether she just did enough to beat Kwan and win.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am no Irina fan, but Irina DID blow the house away when she deservedly won Worlds 2002. She gave a performance that would easily have won her Olympic gold a month earlier. The judges gave it to Irina 6 judges to 3, almost as solid a win as Michelle's 7/2 a year earlier. And considering that both Irina and Kwan skated clean in 2002 (Irina had several flubs in her 2001 FS), that 6/3 was very impressive.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I am no Irina fan, but Irina DID blow the house away when she deservedly won Worlds 2002. She gave a performance that would easily have won her Olympic gold a month earlier. The judges gave it to Irina 6 judges to 3, almost as solid a win as Michelle's 7/2 a year earlier. And considering that both Irina and Kwan skated clean in 2002 (Irina had several flubs in her 2001 FS), that 6/3 was very impressive.

So I venture it was on par with her 2005 performance. Right?

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I am no Irina fan, but Irina DID blow the house away when she deservedly won Worlds 2002.

Ewwww.

Irina and Michelle had almost exactly the same jump content that competition. And Irina never deserves to beat Michelle unless the jumping is way better...she doesn't have anything else in her skating that deserves a higher placement.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So I venture it was on par with her 2005 performance. Right?

No it was not. Irina's 2005 win in Russia was fantastic. That was the best I have ever seen her skate. Her skate at 2002 Worlds was clean as was Michelle's. I really am not one for consipiracy theories but I always felt that MK should have won that night on presentation and the reason Irina won was because of the stink she caused in SLC about being cheated out of the Gold. JMO

R.D.

Record Breaker
So Irina's performance was good, but not spectacular like the four that followed. So now we're on a 4-year streak of knockout Ladies Freeskates at Worlds. Maybe Mao can continue this in 2007?

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
But 4 of the past 5 world championships have been won by a knockout freeskate. That's very telling.

Only 4 out of 5? I thought all 5 of the last WCs were won by a knockout FS.
Funny because I only thought 2 of the them were knockouts.
Kwan in '03 and Slutskaya in '05.
The rest were just ho-hum

Figure Skating sure is subjective

R.D.

Record Breaker

Not all performances can please everybody but those four sure blew the roof off of the respective arenas after they were performed, "amazing" or not.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Wasn't 05 at home for Ira, that might have been a slight advantage to raising the roof. But alas JAT.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, but for example I found Kimmie's 06 skate very BLEH. But I still consider it a knockout because the crowd went crazy toward the end.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty

I agree with Kwan and Slutskaya, but I also thought Shizuka delivered a real knockout performance in her WC win.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle wouldn't have won Worlds 2002 even if she HAD won the FS, because she had a mistake in the SP and was in third behind Irina and Fumie going into the FS.

Irina's performance at Worlds was by far her best that year. She had faltered in the GP, finishing 2nd to Sarah Hughes at Skate Canada, and "won" the GPF with a very poor final FS, where she landed only 4 triples. Then she lost Euros to Maria B. before finishing 2nd in the Olympics with a lackluster FS.

Michelle wouldn't have won Worlds 2002 even if she HAD won the FS, because she had a mistake in the SP and was in third behind Irina and Fumie going into the FS.

Irina's performance at Worlds was by far her best that year. She had faltered in the GP, finishing 2nd to Sarah Hughes at Skate Canada, and "won" the GPF with a very poor final FS, where she landed only 4 triples. Then she lost Euros to Maria B. before finishing 2nd in the Olympics with a lackluster FS.
When Button was asked if Michelle had a chance to win the competition, he replied "not with this panel of judges". I believe there were four eastern judges.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
But did they blow your roof off?

Good question. I would say Kwan in 03 and Shizuka in 04 JUST BECAUSE it was so unexpected. I don't really like either Irina's or Kimmie's skating so those performances weren't as great TO ME. But it was still amazing that Irina was able to pull that off after being sick for more than a year.