New Picture/Updated Bio on Meissner, Cohen on USFS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New Picture/Updated Bio on Meissner, Cohen on USFS

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There were no North American or Asian judges on the Worlds 2002 FS panel; the judges were from ITA, SVK, CRO, HUN, FRA, RUS, SWE, BLR, POL.
For Michelle to win the gold medal, she would have had to win the FS and Fumie would have had to have beaten Irina. Button said there was 0 chance of that happening given the judging panel.

Kwan got first place ordinals from HUN (Judit Furst-Tambor who later got canned from the ISU for backing the new WSF), FRA (Philippe Meriguet) and SWE (Marianne Oeverby). Fumie got all 3rd place ordinals except for one 4th, from the French judge, who put Sasha 3rd.

But I believe that even with a better-balanced panel, and if Michelle had won the FS, the outcome would have been the same: Irina would have won the gold medal. Fumie has never beaten Irina and certainly did not beat Irina on that occasion.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina's doctors have said they think Irina's illness had already begun to surface during the 2001-2002 Olympic season, and that the stress of competition that year were a precipitating factor. She had been suffering from what she called the "summer flu" before Skate Canada 2001. In the fall of 2002, she dropped out of Campbell's with "bronchitis" and did not win any of her 2002-2003 GP events and lost the GPF to Sasha. She lost her Russian championship to Elena Sokolova, and won Euros by an eyelash. She dropped out of Worlds 2003 due to the critical illness of her mother, and shortly after that was hospitalized with an enlarged heart and symptoms of vasculitis. The final diagnosis of Churg-Strauss syndrome came much later, in the spring of 2004.

So Irina had already been suffering from the effects of her illness nearly two years before her hospitalization, and three years before the diagnosis.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks for the rundown chuckm. I did say diagnosed in particular. Some people fall apart after a diagnoses comes whether they were suffering the effects or not. I meant it as a extra complement to her tenacity to go through all that you afore mentioned then get a diagnoses and still compete and get ninth. I am glad you brought that up though, because I couldn't remember the Name they gave it, just the aspects of what it was doing to her. Thanks:agree:

Do you know anything about her Moms situation as of late? - past 4 months, I haven't heard anything.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Michelle wouldn't have won Worlds 2002 even if she HAD won the FS, because she had a mistake in the SP and was in third behind Irina and Fumie going into the FS.

chuckm said:
For Michelle to win the gold medal, she would have had to win the FS and Fumie would have had to have beaten Irina. Button said there was 0 chance of that happening given the judging panel.

You are miss-remembering the ordinal system, chuckm. 1st-3rd places control their own destiny in the free skate. The rules you cited are for 4th place.

MKFSfan

Medalist
You are miss-remembering the ordinal system, chuckm. 1st-3rd places control their own destiny in the free skate. The rules you cited are for 4th place.

Not when the QR is part of the overall finish! This is how it went:

Irina was in 1st after the QR: 0.4 points + 0.6 for 1st place in SP =1 point

Michelle in 1st after QR (different group): 0.4 points + 1.8 for 3rd in SP=2.2 pointss

Fumie in 2nd after QR: 0.8 + 1.2 for 2nd in the SP =2.0 points

The LP's are a 1, 2, 3, etc. points for finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. so if Irina was 2nd she would have had 3 points total. If Michelle was 1st, she would have 3.2 points total. Irina wins.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Not when the QR is part of the overall finish! This is how it went:

Irina was in 1st after the QR: 0.4 points + 0.6 for 1st place in SP =1 point

Michelle in 1st after QR (different group): 0.4 points + 1.8 for 3rd in SP=2.2 pointss

Fumie in 2nd after QR: 0.8 + 1.2 for 2nd in the SP =2.0 points

The LP's are a 1, 2, 3, etc. points for finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. so if Irina was 2nd she would have had 3 points total. If Michelle was 1st, she would have 3.2 points total. Irina wins.

Eh, clearly I'm too young to remember the ordinal system. I'll just pretend it never existed. :biggrin:

Emma7639

Rinkside
It says Kimmie's music is "Snowstorm" and "Galicia".. doesn anyone know where I can find a place to listen to these?