New Johnny Weir Q & A August 26, 2006 | Golden Skate

New Johnny Weir Q & A August 26, 2006

I can't wait to see Johnny portray a modern Jesus inspired by a model in a fashion ad!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Do you think the controversy that his number will undoubtedly cause among at least some members of some religious group will perk up interest in figure skating?

Probably. But it's a sad way to build skating audiences, IMO, so I am very much hoping Johnny's number is beautiful and serious.

I can't believe he would be purposely blasphemous in this year when he is supposed to be so serious and focused.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope that Weir´s number will get attention because of his skating and not because of its theme. Weir is a great interpretor of music, he is a skater who does not need the help of a theme, in my opinion. I hope that I´m wrong, but I´m already now starting to get bad vibes about Weir´s competitive success in coming season

I have to admit this idea gives me bad vibes as well. Do you have any other reason for your pessimism?

I agree about the desirability of focusing on skating, not "themes." But I admire Johnny very much and will give him the benefit of the doubt as long as I can.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have to admit this idea gives me bad vibes as well. Do you have any other reason for your pessimism?.

I´m worried whether Weir´s sp and fs choreographers understand CoP scoring system well enough to be able to create choreography that will pick up points for him the way e.g. Wilson´s does for Buttle?

If he intends to use the cross as a theme in competitive skating, it could affect some judges as well. He should leave Madonna out of this but if he wants he can skate to her tunes.

Joe

BittyBug

On the Ice
Johnny's mother is quite Catholic, and given his relationship with his mother, I kind of doubt that his program will be in any way offensive.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Shizuka had a cross theme on one of her outfits last year that was quite alluring IMO. I wonder what kind of effect - if any - that had on her performance scores?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do hope that Johnny is serious this year. I love his skating so much.

Marina Viacheslavovna is letting me wear rhinestones for the short!
He seems like he listen a lot to what she says and I think he called her a task master. Good for her.

Loved his comment about Alexei's costume.

Dee