The Lucinda Ruh Appreciation thread | Golden Skate

The Lucinda Ruh Appreciation thread

John King

Final Flight
This is in acknowlegement of the beautiful,talented,charming and quite unique Lucinda Ruh.Although known for her spins,she is by no means a "one trick pony",her style is quite graceful and balletic.I even got a signed photo of her,which was nice!As injury has,unfortunately,put her skating into the sunset,let us applaude the career of Lucinda,and hope that she can pass on her talents through coaching to a new generation.

What a coincidence - I was just watching her for the first time yesterday. She was STUNNING. What a delight to watch, I couldn't stop smiling. And it's not just the speed and quantity of spins but the inventiveness, and her style in general, and lovely smile. She's one of the best.

Do people have favorite skates of hers?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Besides one of the best "bunny smiles":laugh: :love:
http://www.picturetrunk.com/2006/08292006/863b4f254c.jpg

One of the best at Beilmanns, and wears a body suit like nobody's business.
http://www.picturetrunk.com/2006/08292006/851dc862c3.jpg

And most likely my fav routine of hers - although I have not seen many and most on YouTube.

This is al JMO OC.

Does she hold the record for SPS, like 5. something a second? I remember a little while ago someone informed me she has the most spins in a single attempt, was that right - back in the concussion days for me.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I well remember the first (of unfortunately only two) times I saw her, at the 99 Worlds. WOW!! Those spins were not of this earth, and I still revisit that performance on tape from time to time. I remember showing the performance to my mother a couple of years later, telling her "You've gotta see this" and she said "It's a shame that girls like her who have some grace and style just can't get far in the system because of all that jumping."

Honestly, I've seen that photo before and thought it was a little statuette, done in poor taste (exaggerated, inhuman....). :laugh:

Seanibu, did you mean to indicate a specific skate?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Honestly, I've seen that photo before and thought it was a little statuette, done in poor taste (exaggerated, inhuman....). :laugh:

Seanibu, did you mean to indicate a specific skate?

Wow you are hard to please:laugh: J/K I see what you mean. That is a the same reason I think I like it.

Not really, because I haven't seen that many to be a good judge of that. But reluctantly I would say that one does stand out for me anyway.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Yeah, me either! :scratch:

Went to youtube.come and watched some Lucinda videos. It always amazes me how well and FAST she can spin! :thumbsup: Too bad she didn't have the jumps or spirals to be a contender.

Jhar55

Medalist
John what kin dof injury did she have?
Lucinda never got the scores she deserved for her beautiful spins.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I am a little confused about the fastest spinner. I know she had the title, even watched it on the Today Show but when they had that tv show with the skaters, the one where Rudy and Oksana were judges, one of the women there said she had the title. I am still confused about that. Was hers, maybe, some other kind of spins?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Yes, indeed. Many skaters are overlooked if they are not jumping beans. Believe me spinning can be just as difficult to master as a jump. Great spinners are few and far between and certainly not appreciated enough. Canada had a skater by the name of Kay Thompson a few years ago who was often under appreciated - boy could she spin!!!

I join you in honouring Lucinda. I really enjoy watching her.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What I "heard" was that she had spins at 5.+ per second and that her word breaking spins per on attempt were out doors at the Rockafeller center at 115 in a one spin attempt. I "might be wrong" but I do believe that as being true as of right now.

The fav routine of mine was Divas on Ice 2003, sorry took so long in responding. I had a Oksana night of FS and then we hit the bars:laugh: - I was kinda existed earlier.

Last edited:
The fav routine of mine was Divas on Ice 2003, sorry took so long in responding.
Cool, I'll look it up.

ETA: OK, I watched it but didn't really like watching her shake her booty. I prefer these. The 2nd has very enthusiastic commentary by Uncle Dick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9jWtEukGA&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBPtfWeusw&mode=related&search=

- I was kinda existed earlier.
Kinda? You always seemed real to me. (J/K)

BTW, when I said the "statuette" of the biellmann looked in poor taste to me - that was before I realized it was a real person!!

Last edited: