Basic Skating Terms, Abbreviations & Definitions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Basic Skating Terms, Abbreviations & Definitions

backspin

On the Ice
slight change to rocker def:

Rocker
A turn on one foot from forward to backward or backward to forward. The exit edge changes direction from the starting edge, making a serpenting tracing on the ice. The turns are from an outside edge to an outside edge (or an inside edge to an inside edge) The skater is turning in the same direction as the entry curve (in the same direction as a 3 turn).

Also, I have never heard of parts of a blade being called lobes. The curve of the blade from front to back is called the rocker. (not to be confused with rocker turns!)

Last edited:

backspin

On the Ice
Broken Leg position
A sitspin where the free leg is bent and turned out to the side, almost touching the ice. Similar to the free leg position in a layback spin, but to the side rather than to the back.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This is great, thanks.

Now I need defs for Serpentine and Trace / Tracing.

backspin

On the Ice
Bunny Hop Jump
Gliding forward on one foot, the free leg swings from back to front. When the free leg reaches the top of its swing, the skater jumps off the skating foot, and lands on the toe pick of the free foot, then steps forward and glides again on the original 'gliding' foot. Usually the first jump learned; it is a preparation for the waltz jump, teaching the kick through of the free leg and timing of the jump leaving the ice.

Camel spin
A spin performed with the free leg extended behind the skater, torso is leaning forward, both leg and torso are parallel to the ice. Basically a spin done in a spiral position. When the skater leaps into the spin and lands in a back camel, this is known as a Flying Camel spin. A move which can look similar is running 3 turns in a camel position, which will carry the skater down the ice rather than remaining stationary; therefore this is not an actual spin, but a series of turns.

backspin

On the Ice
Hollow
A rounded groove down the middle of the figure skate blade. Depth of the hollow depends on the skater's skill level, weight, discipline and personal preference.

**you might also want to note that all the program lengths given are for senior level competitors. Lower levels (junior, novice, etc) have different (shorter) time allotments.

backspin

On the Ice
Tracing:
The mark a blade leaves on the ice while skating. Skaters can examine their tracings to see if they were on the correct/deep enough edge, if a jump entrance was done correctly, if a turn was clean, etc.

Serpentine:
A pattern skated on the ice which curves back and forth in half circles and progresses down the ice (think of the motion of a snake crawling through grass). Most compulsory dance patterns are serpentine in nature.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
How different are skating and gliding? do we need to differentiate between the two in basic?

I am not hip on the "foot" term use, maybe it's just me.

backspin

On the Ice
Just to simplify this to make it more understandable/recognizable.....

Scratch spin
An upright spin with the free leg crossed in front of the spinning foot. Arms are drawn in to increase the speed of the spin, then either lowered or pulled up overhead. Can be done as either a forward or back spin.

backspin

On the Ice
How different are skating and gliding? do we need to differentiate between the two in basic?

I am not hip on the "foot" term use, maybe it's just me.

I'd call "skating" actively stroking/doing whatever. A glide is simply gliding along on one (or two) foot & not doing anything.

I am still actively training and also coaching as well. We refer to "foot" vs. "blade" as in "your free foot needs to set down closer to your skating foot" vs. "you need to be over the heel of your blade be on this turn". I find using "blade" when discussing foot positions/placements/etc very confusing, and I know what you're talking about.....I think using 'foot' when it's appropriate would make more sense for the lay person. After all, where your foot sets, the blade sets, it's all one thing.

Oh, one more thing & then I MUST get back to work!! A rocker is a turn, not a step. And you've included the definitiion of a lobe in with the rocker of a blade definition.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'd call "skating" actively stroking/doing whatever. A glide is simply gliding along on one (or two) foot & not doing anything.
I see you point, definitely different, thanks:agree:
I am still actively training and also coaching as well. We refer to "foot" vs. "blade" as in "your free foot needs to set down closer to your skating foot" vs. "you need to be over the heel of your blade be on this turn". I find using "blade" when discussing foot positions/placements/etc very confusing, and I know what you're talking about.....I think using 'foot' when it's appropriate would make more sense for the lay person. After all, where your foot sets, the blade sets, it's all one thing.
I think we all were aware that semantics were going to be a issue to tackle. As I said "it is likely just me" when wanting to differentiate the skate, blade and boot. I agree with foot being acceptable as much as the 2 distinguishable elements of a skate / foot. Again not a disagreement but a semantics issue. This should be relative to someone who does not skate at all as much as those starting IMO.
Oh, one more thing & then I MUST get back to work!! A rocker is a turn, not a step. And you've included the definitiion of a lobe in with the rocker of a blade definition.
I am trying to update as much as possible, and quickly, make sure that you check for updates over a period of time to give me time to reflect any changes.

All this input is great and you have been great in your corrections and suggestions.

Last, check the scratch spin to answer if the leg is in front or back. If it can be done as either then the "definite that it goes in front (which differs from the original) is clarified as such.

Thanks again for the input, please realize I am questioning semantics and not knowledge here.

backspin

On the Ice
Yes, w/ a scratch spin the free leg crosses in front. The entrance edge could change though, depending on whether it's a fwd scratch or a back scratch. I think it is important to note that it is an upright spin vs. any other body position.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
OK, I think I am caught up now, there are still some specifics that aren't clear. In spirit of the { } s I marked them with such:biggrin:

And something to remember is the fact that not everyone who becomes or is a member here skates, takes lessons, or even wants to. Some just like the sport but want to understand what is going on. Not how to do it or what it is similar too.

Being "basic" can be just as confusing when not providing enough information as when providing too much. I should be a good balance for this "in-between" type of member (some others also come to mind) so I am trying to keep it more on the "informative" then the "complete comprehension," at the same time I am starting to understand what I am trying to learn at the rink on my own.

This is all great, please keep them coming.

backspin

On the Ice
From the list:
Rocker Steps
A sequence of steps on one side of a continuous axis in a semi-circular shape.

This is the definition of a Lobe, not "rocker steps" (which aren't really anything.....)

Also, it may be important to note that where ever you are giving specifics of how a jump is done, you are assuming a counter-clockwise jumper. For example, a clockwise jumper doing a waltz jump would take off on their right leg as opposed to their left.

Last edited:

backspin

On the Ice
One last thing:

Flying Camel
A running of 3 turns {with hops / jumps?} in a camel position, which will carry the skater down the ice rather than remaining stationary - this is a series of turns.

I think this might have a name, but it isn't Flying Camel (which is a spin). I had meant that as a note to you to explain why the previous definition of a flying camel was incorrect. You can probably just leave it out, it isn't commonly done & is more just choreography than a specific element that everybody does.

For people supplying definitions, if you are consulting other sources, be sure to write the description in your own words (copyright issues). :)

Yes, w/ a scratch spin the free leg crosses in front. The entrance edge could change though, depending on whether it's a fwd scratch or a back scratch. I think it is important to note that it is an upright spin vs. any other body position.
I remember the days when a skater held the L position then crossed legs on the ice and it was call a cross foot spin. Note Doroty Hamil on this. A scratch spin was just a verticle spin and the free leg could cross but not touch the ice.

Joe